Menu icon Foundation
Foundation-cli

I've looking at the foundation-cli repro and was wondering if Zurb has any interest in adding templates to their cli when they combine it for web, email and apps?

The reason I ask is because I've tested out ionic (not promoting it) and their cli is pretty cool because you type
```ionic start myApp tabs``` and generate a tabs layout/template or ```ionic start myApp blank``` for a blank. Also their cli is seemingly more optimized to use as a build process (by integrating it with cordova).

So wouldn't be nice if for each platform, email, apps, and sites you could do the same?
Examples:
type= email, apps, or site
foundation-(type) new myproject - generates a blank template (like it does now for foundation-apps new)
or
foundation-(type) template templatename projectname

Then for each type, use commands to optimize the development workflow. For example on email adding litmus tests, or sites optimizing assets and running speed tests.

As a starting point, the current foundation-cli (for Apps) clones the template repo but it could be modified to clone branches for different templates, correct?

clitemplates

I've looking at the foundation-cli repro and was wondering if Zurb has any interest in adding templates to their cli when they combine it for web, email and apps?

The reason I ask is because I've tested out ionic (not promoting it) and their cli is pretty cool because you type
```ionic start myApp tabs``` and generate a tabs layout/template or ```ionic start myApp blank``` for a blank. Also their cli is seemingly more optimized to use as a build process (by integrating it with cordova).

So wouldn't be nice if for each platform, email, apps, and sites you could do the same?
Examples:
type= email, apps, or site
foundation-(type) new myproject - generates a blank template (like it does now for foundation-apps new)
or
foundation-(type) template templatename projectname

Then for each type, use commands to optimize the development workflow. For example on email adding litmus tests, or sites optimizing assets and running speed tests.

As a starting point, the current foundation-cli (for Apps) clones the template repo but it could be modified to clone branches for different templates, correct?

Rafi Benkual over 4 years ago

Hans,
That is sounds like a great idea. We were looking at better options for ZF-Apps to deliver our templates because they often contain CSS and extra views. One of the ideas we had was to have the CLI create the template projects as well.

It would be possible to have the CLI create the template instead of the boilerplate because bower or gulp can add the bower_components folder.

So what we want to do is to have the CLI spin up an Apps, Email, or Site project from the same CLI. One set of dependancies (hopefully no Ruby) and include templates as well.

foundation new app {file name}
foundation new site {file name}
foundation new email {file name}
foundation new email template {template name}
foundation new app template {template name}
foundation new site template {template name}

We have added this to our list for the next version!

Agustin Sevilla over 4 years ago

This is exciting stuff, Rafi!

I also use Ionic a lot lately, and one feature is that you can start a new project from a pen on CodePen: https://github.com/driftyco/ionic-cli#starting-an-ionic-app

I have used it more than once with their examples on there, and it helped me a lot when learning the ropes!

Hans McMurdy over 4 years ago

@Rafi yeah that does sound exiting. As for for having the cli create new templates that also makes more sense especially if it isn't with ruby.

@Agustin I didn't know ionic could do that, that's also pretty cool.

Hans McMurdy over 3 years ago

And now Foundation 6 with YETI LAUNCH is out !

Go zurb, you guys are the best.

!_! // Happy Face