Menu icon Foundation
Zurb Foundation for Apps for websites?

Hi,

The new Zurb "Foundation for Apps" seems great. However, all the sample layouts given are for "desktop-like Web apps", which is understandable given the focus, but is it useful for Web sites as well?

Is it possible to use Foundation for Apps for very dynamic Web sites using AngularJS?

Is it possible use all of the resources from Foundation 5?

Like widgets? building blocks? icon fonts?

Is "Foundation for Apps" something like "Foundation for Sites using AngularJS instead of JQuery" or more like a new Ember.js competitor? Nothing wrong with either answer.

Thanks,
Ashley.

foundation for appsresourcesFoundation for Sites

Hi,

The new Zurb "Foundation for Apps" seems great. However, all the sample layouts given are for "desktop-like Web apps", which is understandable given the focus, but is it useful for Web sites as well?

Is it possible to use Foundation for Apps for very dynamic Web sites using AngularJS?

Is it possible use all of the resources from Foundation 5?

Like widgets? building blocks? icon fonts?

Is "Foundation for Apps" something like "Foundation for Sites using AngularJS instead of JQuery" or more like a new Ember.js competitor? Nothing wrong with either answer.

Thanks,
Ashley.

Rafi Benkual over 4 years ago

The new Foundation for Apps will help you build responsive web apps that work on any device, mobile and desktop and all in between.

It can be used for sites, just don't use the grid-frame. But we have Foundation for Sites for that.

Yes, you can use Foundation Apps for an Angular Site. Keep in mind the components were made with Apps in mind. You can likely use Foundation Sites components in the new grid (that would require jQuery as well). Again, you can simply use Foundation for Sites and Angular if you wish.

Ember.js is a JS framework like Angular so they do similar things. Foundation for Apps could have used either but we went with Angular for it's adoption, file size, and Google backing.

Ashley Aitken over 4 years ago

Thanks for your answer Rafi but specifically are you saying to use the widgets, building blocks, icon fonts I would need to use jQuery as well as AngularJS for Foundation for Apps?

I've heard that they don't mix very well.

Darek Wędrychowski over 4 years ago

JQuery and Angular? They do mix without any problem. I've worked using both on Foundation 5 and still use both on Foundation for Apps (as for various reasons I can't let myself dropping CKEditor which requires JQuery).

Just remember that when you want Angular to use JQuery, JQuery has to be included before Angular. Otherwise Angular switches to JQLite.

Thanks Derek! We all agree that the F-sites components would work in the new grid.

Jason Demitri over 4 years ago

Hey dont knwo if its much help or 100% related but recently ive been working on a project were I use some new components from Foundation for apps and some from foundation for sites

It contatins or doesnt contain as the case may be

** From Foundation (App) **

The NEW flex-box GRID
The new range of helpers (functions, mixins, breakpoints & images)
Updated form elements
The NEW block-list
Foundation for apps MOTION UI :)
UPdated buttons
card content holders
title bar

** Removed Elements Foundation (Sites) **

The old grid
The old block grid
old button groups
old form elements
orbit as depreciated
pricing tables as not needed
progress bars as now included in the forms of apps
range sliders as above
split buttons as not used as of yet and wont be using in future
old switches

** New editions **

FontAwesome Icon font

Tomoro il be working on the js side of things after reading up some more ive found out about unbinding events but as foundation for apps relys on angular.js im not sure this will possible so wont be able to add notification and some of the other nice things ive also currently got an issue with the flexbox grid on mobile as not all elements become off-canvas but except for that it contains almost all of the scss components from foundation for apps whilst maintaining the original components of foundation for sites such as the topbar

https://github.com/jjdemitriUk/foundationRemix

This is great! Awesome to see the two working together!

Philip over 4 years ago

we built this site with foundation for apps and did a wordpress JSON integration with it as well:

http://movement.us/

@phillip - Wow - this is awesome! Great work!

Hans McMurdy over 4 years ago

@ Philip.
Really nice work design wise. Performance wise, it isn't too bad with 53 / 63 (but with awesome documentation for your code).

I'm picking it apart right now and its really interesting how your using the off-canvass and different views and partial includes, etc...

Also its interesting that it looks like you are using the default routing tool and also writing some more custom stuff with the pages-service.js, etc...