Menu icon Foundation
Responsive design for a device, not resolution

Hello,

I am trying to set a responsive design that is based on the device type. For example:
An Ipad would always load the responsive design for tablets.
Samsung Galaxy S5 would always load the responsive design for mobiles, even though it has a high resolution.

The problem is that if I set a desktop site by resolution, it could load the design for a tablet.
A tablet could mistakenly load the design for a desktop.

The only reference I found was this one:
http://www.sitepoint.com/foundation-5-interchange-creating-dynamic-page-content/

But I need a way to discover which type of device is loaded, and then load the interchange accordingly.

Any ideas how to do this in a simple way?

Responsivedevicesinterchange

Hello,

I am trying to set a responsive design that is based on the device type. For example:
An Ipad would always load the responsive design for tablets.
Samsung Galaxy S5 would always load the responsive design for mobiles, even though it has a high resolution.

The problem is that if I set a desktop site by resolution, it could load the design for a tablet.
A tablet could mistakenly load the design for a desktop.

The only reference I found was this one:
http://www.sitepoint.com/foundation-5-interchange-creating-dynamic-page-content/

But I need a way to discover which type of device is loaded, and then load the interchange accordingly.

Any ideas how to do this in a simple way?

John Goblirsch almost 5 years ago

You have media queries however those are mainly based upon screen sizes and such. I mean a galaxy S5 is showing mobile. That's what it is supposed to do. You could target it if you really wanted to by screen size.

Bob Sawyer almost 5 years ago

I can't imagine why you would want to put yourself through that kind of hell, with the sheer number of devices and screen sizes out there. Are you trying to show content that is specific to the brand (i.e., Samsung users get content that is targeted specifically to users of that device) or just trying to target specific screen sizes?