Menu icon Foundation
Usage on Shared Hosting possible?

Hi there,

This is the first time I wanted to try some dynamic front-end framework in my entire life of my programming/scripting journey. I have always write some PHP/HTML/CSS/JS script and upload it to my shared-hosting to work.

Then, I came across Bootstrap and Foundation from a forum via members recommendation.

However, upon reading all the Getting Started guide, it seems that we will need at least 5 tools to start coding using Foundation:

1. Install Git
2. Install Ruby
3. Install NodeJS
4. Install Bower with Grunt
5. Install Foundation gem

Which is what I am not familiar with - coming from the background of static web programming.

After installing (and compiling?), does anyone know if I can just upload the files (like what I did for static web - .html, .php) to the shared hosting server 'public' folder and show it to the WWW?

Thank you and sorry for the level -999 question.

Newbieshared hostingbeginnergetting startedmaclinux shared hosting

Hi there,

This is the first time I wanted to try some dynamic front-end framework in my entire life of my programming/scripting journey. I have always write some PHP/HTML/CSS/JS script and upload it to my shared-hosting to work.

Then, I came across Bootstrap and Foundation from a forum via members recommendation.

However, upon reading all the Getting Started guide, it seems that we will need at least 5 tools to start coding using Foundation:

1. Install Git
2. Install Ruby
3. Install NodeJS
4. Install Bower with Grunt
5. Install Foundation gem

Which is what I am not familiar with - coming from the background of static web programming.

After installing (and compiling?), does anyone know if I can just upload the files (like what I did for static web - .html, .php) to the shared hosting server 'public' folder and show it to the WWW?

Thank you and sorry for the level -999 question.

Rob Kennard almost 5 years ago

Hi Sim, yes, the compiled CSS/ JS and HTML(or php if that is your flavour) should go in your www folder - the compiled code is exactly that - the ruby/ sass stuff that generated it is just a tool to get you there!

Lyn almost 5 years ago

Hey there,

Just to say you don't NEED all this stuff to code with Foundation.

You can download the package from here : http://foundation.zurb.com/develop/download.html
And then you can simply follow this to get started : http://foundation.zurb.com/docs/css.html

Regards,

Lyn.

olidev over 1 year ago

If you have a php app, then it is better to stay away from shared hosting. A better alternative that is safe and better in performance is a vps for host your PHP apps. There are a lot of vps providers that are easily affordable. However, you need to have sysadmin knowledge to setup a server on them. If you don’t have such skills, then you can use Cloudways PHP hosting (https://www.cloudways.com/en/php-cloud-hosting.php ) platform for that. This platform will automatically setup a server with OS, stack and necessary packages already installed for you.

Bill Hitchens over 1 year ago

Hi, i was use Foundation 6 for a long time on my site and must to say what shared hosting is enough.