Menu icon Foundation
Safari Web Inspector Slow

I've been using Foundation 5 for web development, but I am somewhat new to Foundation and so wanted to comment on something I noticed to try and find out if I've maybe set something up wrong. When I am doing development and I try to use Safari's Web Inspector I get the dreaded beach balls and performance is incredibly slow. Most often I am trying to just troubleshoot CSS and my styles, but it's really unusable. I am on a Mac running the latest Safari and OS 10.9.5. If I use Chrome, which has been my workaround, I don't have any of these issues. I also seem to only have the Web Inspector issues in Safari with sites that are using Foundation. Other frameworks, like Bootstrap, don't seem to be an issue. So my question is, is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

Safarimacslowperformanceweb inspector

I've been using Foundation 5 for web development, but I am somewhat new to Foundation and so wanted to comment on something I noticed to try and find out if I've maybe set something up wrong. When I am doing development and I try to use Safari's Web Inspector I get the dreaded beach balls and performance is incredibly slow. Most often I am trying to just troubleshoot CSS and my styles, but it's really unusable. I am on a Mac running the latest Safari and OS 10.9.5. If I use Chrome, which has been my workaround, I don't have any of these issues. I also seem to only have the Web Inspector issues in Safari with sites that are using Foundation. Other frameworks, like Bootstrap, don't seem to be an issue. So my question is, is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

Chris M almost 5 years ago

Hey Adam, this is very likely caused by an issue causing every part of the Foundation css to be called multiple times. I had Devtools go really slow for me as well because of the issue.

Apparently there is a fix coming for the issue later this week.

In the meantime, if you want a hotfix, I posted a couple of other people's solutions in this thread http://foundation.zurb.com/forum/posts/19552-foundation-545--_globalscss-renders-multiple-times - try it out and hopefully will help until the fix comes.

Adam Christianson almost 5 years ago

I tried this patch, but I'm using grunt.js and now get this error:

Warning: bower_components/foundation/scss/foundation/functions:13: error: error reading values after )
 Use --force to continue.

The patch seems to only work if you're using Ruby to compile?

Adam Christianson almost 5 years ago

I think I was actually able to get things fixed up by running a foundation update. I think I'm not at 5.4.6 which might have patched the issue.