Menu icon Foundation
Help installing Foundation Sass+Compass

Hello everyone,

I have nodejs, git, and ruby 2.0 all working fine on my OSX Mavericks install. I was able to install both compass and the foundation gem without issue. I think I know what to do with compass when my foundation project is created but here is where I run into a problem. I can type foundation into my command line and it gives me a listing of commands to use. When I try to use the foundation new [Project_Name] command it spits out a whole lot of argument errors(See below). My guess is there is some kind of directory pathing issue but I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

foundation new Project
/Users/user/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.0.0-p247/gems/foundation-1.0.4/lib/foundation/cli/generator.rb:12:in `split': invalid byte sequence in UTF-8 (ArgumentError)
from /Users/user/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.0.0-p247/gems/foundation-1.0.4/lib/foundation/cli/generator.rb:12:in `which'
	from /Users/user/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.0.0-p247/gems/foundation-1.0.4/lib/foundation/cli/generator.rb:22:in `install_dependencies'
	from /Users/user/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.0.0-p247/gems/foundation-1.0.4/lib/foundation/cli/generator.rb:121:in `new'
	from /Users/user/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.0.0-p247/gems/thor-0.18.1/lib/thor/command.rb:27:in `run'
	from /Users/user/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.0.0-p247/gems/thor-0.18.1/lib/thor/invocation.rb:120:in `invoke_command'
	from /Users/user/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.0.0-p247/gems/thor-0.18.1/lib/thor.rb:363:in `dispatch'
	from /Users/user/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.0.0-p247/gems/thor-0.18.1/lib/thor/base.rb:439:in `start'
	from /Users/user/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.0.0-p247/gems/foundation-1.0.4/bin/foundation:4:in `<top (required)>'
	from /usr/bin/foundation:23:in `load'
	from /usr/bin/foundation:23:in `<main>'

helpinstallbashargument error

Hello everyone,

I have nodejs, git, and ruby 2.0 all working fine on my OSX Mavericks install. I was able to install both compass and the foundation gem without issue. I think I know what to do with compass when my foundation project is created but here is where I run into a problem. I can type foundation into my command line and it gives me a listing of commands to use. When I try to use the foundation new [Project_Name] command it spits out a whole lot of argument errors(See below). My guess is there is some kind of directory pathing issue but I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

foundation new Project
/Users/user/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.0.0-p247/gems/foundation-1.0.4/lib/foundation/cli/generator.rb:12:in `split': invalid byte sequence in UTF-8 (ArgumentError)
from /Users/user/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.0.0-p247/gems/foundation-1.0.4/lib/foundation/cli/generator.rb:12:in `which'
	from /Users/user/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.0.0-p247/gems/foundation-1.0.4/lib/foundation/cli/generator.rb:22:in `install_dependencies'
	from /Users/user/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.0.0-p247/gems/foundation-1.0.4/lib/foundation/cli/generator.rb:121:in `new'
	from /Users/user/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.0.0-p247/gems/thor-0.18.1/lib/thor/command.rb:27:in `run'
	from /Users/user/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.0.0-p247/gems/thor-0.18.1/lib/thor/invocation.rb:120:in `invoke_command'
	from /Users/user/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.0.0-p247/gems/thor-0.18.1/lib/thor.rb:363:in `dispatch'
	from /Users/user/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.0.0-p247/gems/thor-0.18.1/lib/thor/base.rb:439:in `start'
	from /Users/user/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.0.0-p247/gems/foundation-1.0.4/bin/foundation:4:in `<top (required)>'
	from /usr/bin/foundation:23:in `load'
	from /usr/bin/foundation:23:in `<main>'

Rafi Benkual over 5 years ago

What other commands did you use? Can you list your process and where you intend to create the project?

Matt Wiser over 5 years ago

I'm just trying to make a test project on my desktop in a new folder named Project. The only other commands before foundation new Project were those neccessary to install according to docs. Trying the foundation help [command] runs properly but foundation update also returns argument error.