Menu icon Foundation
Foundation Download Options

Hi Zurb,

We're looking to use Foundation for a adaptive/responsive hybrid site. Our main focus is site speed. We're not using Sass currently.

Currently the core foundation style sheet includes ALL the styles for all breakpoints. This means we are serving CSS to customers that will never be used on their device - not ideal.

To get the CSS file sizes down we have broken up the core Foundation css into 4 seperate files.

1) Foundation.css (core styles, grid etc, always served)
2) Foundation_s.css (small-device specific styles)
3) Foundation_m.css (medium-device specific styles)
4) Foundation_l.css (large-device specific styles)

In our scenario we would always serve the Foundation.css file to all device types, and then also serve one of the other css files depending on the device size.

We have achieved this by splitting out the css depending on which media query they reside in - which isn't too much work - but can create headaches if future releases dramatically change the css structure or functionality.

So, on to my question...

Would it be possible to generate these 4 files and offer them as a download option from Zurb or Github?

Ideally we'd be able to use the same custom downloader:
http://foundation.zurb.com/develop/download.html#customizeFoundation

With a simple tick box option to download one CSS file with all the styles, or 4 separate files.

With the industry uptake of Adaptive/Responsive hybrid sites on the rise I feel it would be a great way to get more out of the Foundation framework.

Thanks,

Ruan

AdaptiveResponsive

Hi Zurb,

We're looking to use Foundation for a adaptive/responsive hybrid site. Our main focus is site speed. We're not using Sass currently.

Currently the core foundation style sheet includes ALL the styles for all breakpoints. This means we are serving CSS to customers that will never be used on their device - not ideal.

To get the CSS file sizes down we have broken up the core Foundation css into 4 seperate files.

1) Foundation.css (core styles, grid etc, always served)
2) Foundation_s.css (small-device specific styles)
3) Foundation_m.css (medium-device specific styles)
4) Foundation_l.css (large-device specific styles)

In our scenario we would always serve the Foundation.css file to all device types, and then also serve one of the other css files depending on the device size.

We have achieved this by splitting out the css depending on which media query they reside in - which isn't too much work - but can create headaches if future releases dramatically change the css structure or functionality.

So, on to my question...

Would it be possible to generate these 4 files and offer them as a download option from Zurb or Github?

Ideally we'd be able to use the same custom downloader:
http://foundation.zurb.com/develop/download.html#customizeFoundation

With a simple tick box option to download one CSS file with all the styles, or 4 separate files.

With the industry uptake of Adaptive/Responsive hybrid sites on the rise I feel it would be a great way to get more out of the Foundation framework.

Thanks,

Ruan

Ruan Hanekom almost 5 years ago

Bump :/