Menu icon Foundation
Off-Canvas and Section 508

Hello, I did a brief search regarding this topic and didn't really come up with much. I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not an Off-Canvas menu would break accessibility? Has anyone worked with this? We're in the process of creating a site for a public school, so we need to make sure that everything is Section 508 compliant.

Thanks,
Chris

off-canvas508accessibility

Hello, I did a brief search regarding this topic and didn't really come up with much. I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not an Off-Canvas menu would break accessibility? Has anyone worked with this? We're in the process of creating a site for a public school, so we need to make sure that everything is Section 508 compliant.

Thanks,
Chris

Karl Ward over 5 years ago

I am not quite sure what accessibility it could be breaking. One of the main points of the off-canvas menu is to make a menu accessible on small devices.

Joshua Scott almost 3 years ago

I use the WAVE plugin for Chrome to check to Section 508 compliance. The only issue I encountered deals with the button for triggering off-canvas. The error encountered states that "a button is empty or has no value text".  If you add a value attribute to the button it does solve the issue and the error still exists.

<button class="menu-icon" type="button" data-open="offCanvasRight" value="Navigation Menu">
</button>

If you add text inside the button it will show up behind the hamburger button, which is not desirable. The work around I used was to add a span inside the button tags with the class show-for-sr

<button class="menu-icon" type="button" data-open="offCanvasRight">
  <span class="show-for-sr">Navigation Menu</span>
</button>

According to the Foundation 6 documentation for Sites, the show-for-sr will not display the text on the page but those with screen readers will see the text.

http://foundation.zurb.com/forum/posts/1934#comment_2735

zidane2991 about 1 year ago

Now coming into the most exciting part associated with the birthdays. It is but one of the particular days for that b day person. You will have to celebrate this day with your friends and family. The ribbon, the food and above all the presents. Like any ritual, happy birthdays wishes messages cater for delectable and good food. For few people who cater to mostly nonvegetarian and candy, for others they prefer vegetables. Nevertheless, the constant is sweet. Cakes always catch the limelight.