Menu icon Foundation
Impossible to do Sass new or upgrade from 5.3.3

With the last 5.4.0 release, I'm not able to do a foundation NEW ... or a bower UPDATE.

All remains sticked with 5.3.3 in bower.json, in the js files ...

If I compile the scss I read font-family: "/{{ VERSION }}/"; in the app.css !

(Excuses, but my first post, with the same subject, is gone ...)

scssSass5.4.0

With the last 5.4.0 release, I'm not able to do a foundation NEW ... or a bower UPDATE.

All remains sticked with 5.3.3 in bower.json, in the js files ...

If I compile the scss I read font-family: "/{{ VERSION }}/"; in the app.css !

(Excuses, but my first post, with the same subject, is gone ...)

Narration ZF almost 5 years ago

Yes, they zapped my follow-on comment too. And sent me to a 404 page where you can't get back to the forum.

I also can still not bower update to 5.4.0 successfully.

What are you doing, Zurbians?

Rafi Benkual almost 5 years ago

Are you using Compass? If so what version? run 'compass version' in command line.

Rafi Benkual almost 5 years ago

There is an issue with newer compass version http://zurb.us/1t6Ba1G. Rolling back for now will resolve.

Narration ZF almost 5 years ago

Rafi, I'm afraid this is about clear as mud. I recovered, maybe.

• I checked Compass version. Yes. 1.0.0, though not 1.0.1.
  • I uninstalled to leave 0.12.02. grunt update failed. I removed whole Compass gem etc. and then installed 0.12.02. grunt update failed as ever.
  • I looked around a bit at the fragmentary information, and threw up hands. I saved my scss folder, and then removed the whole foundation installation from the home folder. I removed and installed the Grunt gem etc., just to be sure.
  • I then create a new application folder for Foundation., Why on earth I have to do this, rather than just rebuild foundation from within the original site folder? This is why I keep foundation in its own folder under the real website, and path css & js there. But really...
  • I cp my original app.scss and _settings.scss into the new scss folder of Foundation's.
  • I do a grunt build, and it succeeds. As an afterthought, just to be sure, I check the bower_components/foundation/bower.json. It indeed confirms I did this with Foundation 5.4.
  • I upload the new app.css to the site, and it seems fine, as far as the few things I'm actually using so far on this prototype. Panels, some curvature to corners, and a gradient across the panels. All gets along with my Craft CMS as expected.
  • i do a diff between the original 5.3 and new 5.4 app.css. Right away I see a meta.foundation-version {font-family:"/{{ VERSION }}/";} at the beginning of the css (it's compressed). The original app.css has properly 5.3.3 where the {{ VERSION }} token is here. Say what?
  • I look further into the one-line massive diff, and find different things every hundred characters or so, at least at the beginning. None of these look like the original mistake, so maybe they are the proper differences.

Summary:
a) grunt updating is massively wrong, and I don't think it has anything to do with Compass, as I'm using Grunt and LibSCSS. Right or wrong?
b) blasting all away and reinstalling everything Foundation and Grunt does seem to work,. Still the basic issue that you recreate the real site folder (dangerous of course) unless you hive Foundation into its very own resource area and just recreate that -- again at risk of losing all your setup in the scss folder.
c) please think what this all means if you are a novice, or if English isn't your first language, etc.. Blast and recreate all is at least understandable, if very dangerous because the tools don't directly let you do it without eliminating and recreating your whole original app folder contents.
d) it is true that I was able to update all the previous versions of Foundation 5 in the expected way. I also remember this kind of non-sequitor, not available, doesn't work on previous Foundation releases. Please think about how it can not do this which 5.4 invents again. Is it so hard?
e) I'm a truly old hand. Have done such things as write a complete (and 18 years successful) natural language understanding machine for Bell Laboratories in C++ when it was the new. And great for this if you understood all that was the matter with Prolog. Webbish 'stuff' is a nightmare by comparison, with all the insensible have-to-know-it in opaque machines. I think the clear thinking we could work with then could make so much difference now. You guys too will tire of the endless 'configure this way' exponentiated by (mis-)interacting tools. I hope you've gone through enough gyrations (must Compass, no must whatever-it-was last time, now must Grunt) to settle down and become smooth, with Foundation, and the tools. I'm not asking you to forgo following the better trajectories of web innovation, but to be wise, and choose smoothness, every time. I actually think you'll advance best yourselves this way. I hope to be using the Foundation which results. Thank you.

Jean-Pol Dupont almost 5 years ago

Rafi, it is not a Compass or Sass problem as I don't run the "bad" compass/sass version.

Compass 0.12.7

https://github.com/zurb/bower-foundation/blob/master/bower.json

Is 5.3.3, not 5.4.4

Normal ???

Idem for the js version : version : '5.3.3'

Ok, Ok ... :-(((

I download the 5.4.0 .zip on the site and there :

• No version number in the app.css
  • Old 5.3.3 version in js files ...

So, the update is maybee ??? correct

Why don't you test your updates before publishing ???

Please correct the version number ... Thanks !