Menu icon Foundation
Loosing interest in Foundation,

Help me out guys,

I'm loosing interest in the foundation system, sure its great for mobiles etc, and I'm sure its even more fun if your into the "cool kids" sass club.

but I'm finding it hard to find any actual examples other than whats on the foundation website.

As an example, if you take a look at the bootstrap 3 website, you'll notice that they have detailed examples on the site, and yeah so does foundation, sort of.. the thing is, foundation (zurb) just seems to fall flat in that area.. very vague.

I'm still struggling to find a class list for whats in this system and an example of what each class does, bootstrap has this, foundation doesn't. if you want people to adopt this system, it would be nice to be able to see how the system works on the fly other than a handful of rough public donated examples and a very rigid kitchen sink.

i don't mean to sound negative and I'm trying not to, but i just think some more documentation/examples and less of the "come do a course" might actually make people take this over bootstrap.

i guess i just don't understand the concept your working on here, your asking people to "contribute" to something that is free, but you have what seems to be deliberately vague docs and examples of the system, just so you can charge people to actually learn the very same system via a course ??

10 points for capitalism i guess, and whats up with this goofy useless forum ? lol ;)

Cain

F5f4f3f2Foundationzurbbootstrap 3supportdocexamples

Help me out guys,

I'm loosing interest in the foundation system, sure its great for mobiles etc, and I'm sure its even more fun if your into the "cool kids" sass club.

but I'm finding it hard to find any actual examples other than whats on the foundation website.

As an example, if you take a look at the bootstrap 3 website, you'll notice that they have detailed examples on the site, and yeah so does foundation, sort of.. the thing is, foundation (zurb) just seems to fall flat in that area.. very vague.

I'm still struggling to find a class list for whats in this system and an example of what each class does, bootstrap has this, foundation doesn't. if you want people to adopt this system, it would be nice to be able to see how the system works on the fly other than a handful of rough public donated examples and a very rigid kitchen sink.

i don't mean to sound negative and I'm trying not to, but i just think some more documentation/examples and less of the "come do a course" might actually make people take this over bootstrap.

i guess i just don't understand the concept your working on here, your asking people to "contribute" to something that is free, but you have what seems to be deliberately vague docs and examples of the system, just so you can charge people to actually learn the very same system via a course ??

10 points for capitalism i guess, and whats up with this goofy useless forum ? lol ;)

Cain

Rafi Benkual about 5 years ago

What kind of examples specifically are you looking for?

Sass is not a cool kids club, rather the powerful technology Foundation is based on. When you start using it you will how much easier it makes a designers/developers life.

The classes are listed on each components page.
Example:
http://foundation.zurb.com/docs/components/visibility.html
http://foundation.zurb.com/docs/components/button_groups.html

You can get started with templates:
http://foundation.zurb.com/develop/addons-templates.html

Some building blocks to use:
http://patterntap.com/code

Or see examples of what others made:
http://zurb.us/1aDAc5f

Also, what is 'goofy' or 'useless' about this forum made and maintained specifically to support people using Foundation?

Asif about 5 years ago

Cain,
Rafi has given you great links to get started and I feel that the documentation is good. I admit there might be areas where it needs improvement but Zurb's Team is working really hard to make it better with every release. I personally feel that the documentation is very satisfactory and useful.

There is a learning curve involved with every new technology and new framework, and that is expected with foundation as well, and with foundation the learning curve is not a big one. you could easily go through the documentation in a few hours, and with testing and playing around you should get a hang of it in a couple of days.

I suggest you go through the links provided by Rafi and spend some time understanding foundation, I think the documentation is concise enough to help understand, and in case you still have issues, we have a great community here who would definitely help you out.

if you still find issues with foundation, I think you better stick with bootstrap, which is also a great framework and I see that you are already comfortable with it.

Cheers,
Asif

Andrew Saint about 5 years ago

Foundation is far superior to Bootstrap, the only reason Bootstrap is so popular is because of its connection with Twitter.

Chris Peters about 5 years ago

and whats up with this goofy useless forum ? lol ;)

This post borders on trolling. I wouldn't waste too much time trying to help the helpless. Good links, Rafi, though I'm afraid they'll fall on deaf ears.

Thomas E. Vasquez about 5 years ago

Even though BS may have a lot of documentation, if you think about it, BS needs it. BS is overly complicated. You have to jump through hoops in order to get it to work properly.

Don't get me wrong, its a good system, but when it comes to how easy it is to understand, how easy it is to use and how easy it is to implement, this is where Foundation is leaps and bounds ahead of BS.

If you take one project, and try to implement BS with it, it will take you a lot longer than if you used Foundation.

And lets see BS create their own forum software - and trust me, all the cool kids use Foundation ;)

François Marie Arouet Voltaire about 1 year ago

I wish I could help. But I struggle to find a proper answer. Moreover, I'm kinda busy with children, unfortunately. being a father is great but really time-consuming. Thankfully, I manage sometimes to seat them in front of a computer to play some nice and kind games https://papasgames.io/papas-pancakeria.html. At such moments I find free time finally.