Menu icon Foundation
Gotchas For Supporting IE8 in F5

Can anyone tell me the "gotchas" for supporting IE8 with F5? So far, here is my list:

1) REM calculations need to be turned back to EM calculations.

2) jQuery needs to be rolled back to 1.10.2 since version 2 won't work with IE8.

3) Need web shims for various CSS3 and HTML5 support (which are the best for F5?).

4) Need to build css that allows for displaying the large grid for IE8 rather then defaulting to the small, especially since IE8 will never be found on anything but desktops.

5) Provide graceful replacements for components that require media queries (top-bar?).

6) Don't allow Joyride javascript to run since it hangs IE8 totally.

While I realize F5 is not supposed to support IE8, this is causing our team a lot of issues since the corporate desktops all still run IE8 due to internal software. Also, as it turns out, there are still enough IE8 users (close to 5% - http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php) that turning your back on them is not really practical in the real world.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

ie8Foundation 5

Can anyone tell me the "gotchas" for supporting IE8 with F5? So far, here is my list:

1) REM calculations need to be turned back to EM calculations.

2) jQuery needs to be rolled back to 1.10.2 since version 2 won't work with IE8.

3) Need web shims for various CSS3 and HTML5 support (which are the best for F5?).

4) Need to build css that allows for displaying the large grid for IE8 rather then defaulting to the small, especially since IE8 will never be found on anything but desktops.

5) Provide graceful replacements for components that require media queries (top-bar?).

6) Don't allow Joyride javascript to run since it hangs IE8 totally.

While I realize F5 is not supposed to support IE8, this is causing our team a lot of issues since the corporate desktops all still run IE8 due to internal software. Also, as it turns out, there are still enough IE8 users (close to 5% - http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php) that turning your back on them is not really practical in the real world.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Rafi Benkual over 5 years ago