Menu icon Foundation
Why change from F4 to F5?

I've only been using F4 for like 6 months or so. I really like it and am pretty used to it. I just design websites for my own projects and don't have a business in design. Right now I'm mostly working on a site for my photography work. The main reason why I wanted to use Foundation was because of the responsive nature of it. I need to be able to view my site on mobile devices and Foundation makes it a breeze.

I've never been clear on what Zepto is and what it's supposed to do, but I notice that it is no longer featured in F5. There's a call to just jquery (which I know nothing about anyway). I've never heard of Zepto before learning Foundation but I've heard of jquery and know that it's probably more widely used and accepted(?). Why isn't Zepto being used?

The introduction of the medium grid is probably a really fantastic idea, though I'm quite happy with just using the large grid. For my work, it suits my needs really well.

Based on what I've said, is there any real reason to change to F5? Are there any performance enhancements or streamlining that has gone in to F5 that would make it worth the switch?

versionupgradeFoundation 4Foundation 5

I've only been using F4 for like 6 months or so. I really like it and am pretty used to it. I just design websites for my own projects and don't have a business in design. Right now I'm mostly working on a site for my photography work. The main reason why I wanted to use Foundation was because of the responsive nature of it. I need to be able to view my site on mobile devices and Foundation makes it a breeze.

I've never been clear on what Zepto is and what it's supposed to do, but I notice that it is no longer featured in F5. There's a call to just jquery (which I know nothing about anyway). I've never heard of Zepto before learning Foundation but I've heard of jquery and know that it's probably more widely used and accepted(?). Why isn't Zepto being used?

The introduction of the medium grid is probably a really fantastic idea, though I'm quite happy with just using the large grid. For my work, it suits my needs really well.

Based on what I've said, is there any real reason to change to F5? Are there any performance enhancements or streamlining that has gone in to F5 that would make it worth the switch?

Rafi Benkual about 5 years ago

A couple of really cool features may convince you. Off-canvas is officially part of Foundation. http://foundation.zurb.com/docs/components/offcanvas.html

Interchange can now do any content, not just images: http://foundation.zurb.com/docs/components/interchange.html

The medium grid you mentioned.

Tabs and Accordions are easier to style now.

Zepto was an option in F4 and did not yield real world speed benefits.

Also, consider that all the new features will be tailored for Foundation 5 and not 4.

Brian Hughes about 5 years ago

Thanks, Rafi :) I'll read in to your links and explore a little further.