Menu icon Foundation
Migrating from 4 to 5. Easy for most, but not for me!

I want to start out by saying how much I love foundation. It's been a real pleasure to use and gives me a lot more flexibility than I have ever imagined. I really appreciate all the hard work and focus on this project.

I'm a long time member of lynda.com (an online training srevice) and learned how to install foundation, SASS and compass. I would really like to upgrade from version 4 to version 5 but find I'm not smart enough to navigate around everything I'm supposed to do to get it working. I was able to easily, by example, by watching the courses at lynda.com and would hope that someone out there would take a little time to record a movie on how to migrate from 4 to 5.

I feel that foundation 5 would be perfect for me, but I think I need to stick with 4 until I further understand the migration process to 5.

Short of taking the zurb university classes and paying loads of money that I don't have, are there any videos out there that might walk me through all this?

Thanks for any help!

migratingupgrade

I want to start out by saying how much I love foundation. It's been a real pleasure to use and gives me a lot more flexibility than I have ever imagined. I really appreciate all the hard work and focus on this project.

I'm a long time member of lynda.com (an online training srevice) and learned how to install foundation, SASS and compass. I would really like to upgrade from version 4 to version 5 but find I'm not smart enough to navigate around everything I'm supposed to do to get it working. I was able to easily, by example, by watching the courses at lynda.com and would hope that someone out there would take a little time to record a movie on how to migrate from 4 to 5.

I feel that foundation 5 would be perfect for me, but I think I need to stick with 4 until I further understand the migration process to 5.

Short of taking the zurb university classes and paying loads of money that I don't have, are there any videos out there that might walk me through all this?

Thanks for any help!

Brenda Richardson over 5 years ago

Hi Brian,

I just wanted to let you know that I am in exactly the same position. I love foundation and really want to use it with sass. Having followed Jen kramers videos on Linda I was really hopeful that I was underway until it dawned on me that she was using 4 and not 5.

There is a video on here somewhere which is quite clear and helpful but it only outlines installing Bower, compass etc and incorporating them into your new project - great , but the assumption is that you have already installed Ruby 1.9, Node.js and Git. I've fallen at the first hurdle - my mac won't install git , downloaded directly from Github ??. I've searched extensively for good tutorials but can't find what I'm looking for.
I don't think what we need exists i.e a thorough tutorial. Lets just hope someone takes pity on us and offers some advice to get us started.

Good luck and if i find any answers I'll get back to you. : )

Brenda Richardson over 5 years ago

Brian,

If you go to the search bar and type in 'scout'. A thread called 'detailed installation of F5' or something similar. Read it , I think Scout looks like a great alternative to using the terminal. It does all of the heavy lifting for you. Now just to figure out how it works with Foundation5 - I don't think there is anything difficult about it. There are two videos on you tube demonstrating how to use Scout.

Good luck!

Brian Hughes over 5 years ago

Thanks, Brenda. Good luck to you too. And thanks for the replies. If I find information taking us further in to our adventure, I will surely let you know. I'll search for scout.

Jonathan over 5 years ago

Upgrading from 4 to 5 was difficult even for me - and I have 10 years experience as a programmer. I can only imagine how much harder it is for someone focused more on web design than web application development.

Git is fairly easy to install. There's a very useful guide here.
https://help.github.com/articles/set-up-git

Installing Ruby 1.9+ on the other hand - what a nightmare. I wrote up a long post detailing my pains upgrading and deleted it shortly after I figured out what was wrong - but I should have kept it as it might have been helpful for others.

In my current dev stack (Grails, Java, ExtJS) I really have no need for Bower, Grunt, Node, npm, Ruby 1.9+, rvm, or XCode. Installing Bower, Grunt, Node, and npm was dead simple for me (and of course as a developer I already have Git installed). But installing Ruby 2.x was very painful. I attempted to install rvm which failed with a cryptic error message. Googling I found out I had to download XCode (which took 30 minutes). Rvm failed to install again. Apparently I need to open XCode IDE, go into some preferences panel, then download XCode command line tools from there. Rvm installation failed again - so searching this forum I tried to use Homebrew which was successful (ruby -v showed 2.x) but foundation command line tools didn't work. So I decided to give Rvm a shot again. Apparently, there's no easy way to uninstall Homebrew (and in addition it can conflict with rvm) - I had to download a script some random person created to uninstall it. I attempted to install Rvm again and amazingly it worked - I have no idea why (and ruby -v also showed 2.x). But foundation tools were erroring out with references to Ruby 1.8.7. After struggling for some time I realized the final output of the rvm installation said I need to copy and paste 1-2 lines into each shell window I had opened. I thought this was optional and I simply had to open and close the shell windows - I was wrong. Ugh, this was very painful for me.

Maybe you can simply ask a Ruby dev to set it up on your machine - you should not have to pay for Foundation classes as all of these dependencies have nothing to do with using Foundation.

roxanne sutton over 5 years ago

Jonathan, your reply really cleared up what has also been happening to me with all these dependencies. I have Ruby 2.x but could not get foundation command lines to work. Do you have the url where you found the info on uninstalling homebrew?

Jonathan over 5 years ago
Brian Hughes over 5 years ago

Dang, that sounds like a pain. Thanks a lot for your reply, Jonathan. My only connection to a really good developer and total php guru who knew everything about any scripting language it seemed moved to texas a few years ago. Since then I've been on my own. lol :/

Installing foundation 4 was super damned easy because of the lynda.com videos I watched. It was very clear and I could follow by example. It's what I needed and still need.

This past weekend, I had to reformat my computer. I wasn't really at a loss because sometimes I just like to start from scratch. I removed all of my ruby installs and foundation projects totally. I have my html/css files all backed up. So actually upgrading isn't an option. I would like to install new. Should I just stick with f4 or is it worth it, as a designer, to make the switch to 5 in your opinion?

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on both releases. Seems like you know your stuff.

Thanks!!