Menu icon Foundation
Developing for WordPess on Foundations

I'm trying to PM (manage) the development of 3 WordPress projects over the next few weeks. What's been shocking to me is that as large as the WordPress development community is, It seems difficult if not nearly impossible to find truly knowledgeable individuals with extensive experience at developing new responsive templates using the Foundation framework.

I mean everywhere we've turned from forums to job boards there there seems to be a ton of people familiar with various methods of "Botstraping" Wordpress projects, yet non or few who are truly foundations framework proficient.

I'm trying not to do this project on my own if it can be avoided, but it's quite frustrating if not even depressing to see that even with the clear and overwhelmingly advantages of Foundation that majority of developers still choose to not even look at anything other than Bootstrap.

Has anyone else noticed this or am I alone here?

PS. If you are a developer Foundation guru interested in getting involved in long term project feel free to PM me.

wordpressdevelopment

I'm trying to PM (manage) the development of 3 WordPress projects over the next few weeks. What's been shocking to me is that as large as the WordPress development community is, It seems difficult if not nearly impossible to find truly knowledgeable individuals with extensive experience at developing new responsive templates using the Foundation framework.

I mean everywhere we've turned from forums to job boards there there seems to be a ton of people familiar with various methods of "Botstraping" Wordpress projects, yet non or few who are truly foundations framework proficient.

I'm trying not to do this project on my own if it can be avoided, but it's quite frustrating if not even depressing to see that even with the clear and overwhelmingly advantages of Foundation that majority of developers still choose to not even look at anything other than Bootstrap.

Has anyone else noticed this or am I alone here?

PS. If you are a developer Foundation guru interested in getting involved in long term project feel free to PM me.

Ole Fredrik Lie about 5 years ago

Hi William,

As of now there are 199 developers who have forked my Foundation starter theme for WordPress on Github. I get daily emails from developers all over the world with Foundation and WordPress related questions. This tells me that there is a community of developers who work on projects that use both the Foundation and WordPress. If you need a good starter theme that contains what you need to get started, check out FoundationPress here -

Source: https://github.com/olefredrik/FoundationPress
Demo: http://foundationpress.olefredrik.com

Here are twelve other WordPress themes for Foundation: http://foundation.zurb.com/develop/tools.html

I've met several skilled developers, both through this forum and elsewhere on the web. My experience is that Zurb are good at answering questions through channels like this forum and on twitter. Yes, Bootstrap may have a larger community than the Foundation, but in my eyes Foundation is one step ahead in development. But what you prefer using this is just a matter of taste.

Anyway, skilled web developers should not have any problem to code up websites regardless of the front-end framework used. After all, it's just html, css and javascript. If you encounter developers who ONLY can take projects that use one or the other framework, then I would be questioning their expertise as web developers.

God luck, hope you get the help you need to get your projects done. :-)

William Perrier about 5 years ago

Fredrik -

A "growing" wordpress developer following sounds encouraging, but you being the author of foundation press probably also disproportionately exposes you to this larger pool. People like me looking for a more active community outside of this forum simply wish it didn't have to be such a hunt..

Can you refer me any freelance contractors you know willing and available to take on new projects?