Menu icon Foundation
tooltip too complicated and dw well

<a href="http://www.ibm.com/" data-tooltip data-options="disable_for_touch:true" class="has-tip" title = "blah blah blah">Trine Day</a> 

I have struggled for weeks to make the tooltip work: Is this correct? It doesn't work well on my Samsung Galaxy Centura smartphone or my Asus 7" tablet. I click on the link and nothing happens.

I guess I am a tiny bit put off by the complexity of the tooltip. The 100's of other tooltip software use a single class, but zurb foundation uses "has-tip" and "data-tooltip" ... seems like too much.

I love Zurb Foundation but I don't love the tooltip part, for sure.

tooltip

<a href="http://www.ibm.com/" data-tooltip data-options="disable_for_touch:true" class="has-tip" title = "blah blah blah">Trine Day</a> 

I have struggled for weeks to make the tooltip work: Is this correct? It doesn't work well on my Samsung Galaxy Centura smartphone or my Asus 7" tablet. I click on the link and nothing happens.

I guess I am a tiny bit put off by the complexity of the tooltip. The 100's of other tooltip software use a single class, but zurb foundation uses "has-tip" and "data-tooltip" ... seems like too much.

I love Zurb Foundation but I don't love the tooltip part, for sure.

Karl Ward over 5 years ago

By default, tooltips don't apply on <a> anchor links for mobile. Why? Because a mobile, the user expects tapping a link will navigate to the link (without tapping twice). On desktop, the tooltip happens on hover, while click goes directly to the link ... The tooltip should not hi-jack the click event just for mobile ...

Randolph MacKenzie over 5 years ago

Ahhh no, the above code I included results in a tooltip displayed before the link is invoked and is awkward in practice. Maybe briefly displaying the tooltip then following the link is the intention.

As much as I like staying with the adequate zurb foundation tools for everything, in this case I think using qTip2 tooltips is faster, more flexible, less work, etc.

If zurb foundation ever improves the tooltips I will happily give it a try.