Menu icon Foundation
Foundation for Sites to Foundation for Apps preparation

Hey,
last couple of weeks i had a versus battle between Foundation 5 vs. BS vs. no-all-encompassing framework going on, and we got especially convinced by the promising blog post on Foundation for Apps. Foundation 5 won and we will refactor our existing app for foundation.

I would like to hear a little bit more about Zurbs ideas on converting from Foundation for Sites to - for Apps when it will be out.
What is wise to already consider now?
Probably building modular and encapsulated is a good idea, as usual, is there anything else, that can already be done now, so the conversion from Foundation for Sites to for Apps will not be such a workload?
What about class names will they stay the same?
And components, will all be present?
How can we contribute to Foundation for Apps now?

Thanks for your replies!

Thanks for any replies in advance!

foundation for apps

Hey,
last couple of weeks i had a versus battle between Foundation 5 vs. BS vs. no-all-encompassing framework going on, and we got especially convinced by the promising blog post on Foundation for Apps. Foundation 5 won and we will refactor our existing app for foundation.

I would like to hear a little bit more about Zurbs ideas on converting from Foundation for Sites to - for Apps when it will be out.
What is wise to already consider now?
Probably building modular and encapsulated is a good idea, as usual, is there anything else, that can already be done now, so the conversion from Foundation for Sites to for Apps will not be such a workload?
What about class names will they stay the same?
And components, will all be present?
How can we contribute to Foundation for Apps now?

Thanks for your replies!

Thanks for any replies in advance!

Rafi Benkual over 5 years ago

Just to be clear - Foundation for Apps will be an additional version of Foundation - not a replacement.

This means Foundation for Sites will continue on along side the new Apps version. Ink will be Foundation for Emails.

Having said that, choosing which one to use simply depends on the type of site you need to build. The Apps grid is better suited to make web apps or apps that can be wrapped for native.

The syntax is different (on purpose) and we are taking great care to make it easy to get.

You should continue using Foundation for sites as long as you need traditional scrolling websites. We don't expect people to convert an existing site to an app unless they need to re-do their site anyways.

Components specific to an application will be included. We are also including a motion UI element to allow people to easily show statefull changes on a page.

You can contribute! If you signed up on the blog post, you will get a version of the Grid to test out before Foundation for Apps is released. We are targeting the release for end of Summer.