Menu icon Foundation
Using Foundation for Non-responsive Site

Hi all -

First post - but I've been using Foundation 4 (and jumping into 5 now) for the past 6 months or so and I've created a couple responsive products and used it as a test to learn and work with SASS/Compass.

I've got a request from a client for a simple, static site - and I'm wondering if anyone who works with Foundation regularly had any advice on whether they are using foundation to create small/non-responsive sites with SASS/Compass or if they're using another framework.

Thanks in advance!

FoundationResponsive

Hi all -

First post - but I've been using Foundation 4 (and jumping into 5 now) for the past 6 months or so and I've created a couple responsive products and used it as a test to learn and work with SASS/Compass.

I've got a request from a client for a simple, static site - and I'm wondering if anyone who works with Foundation regularly had any advice on whether they are using foundation to create small/non-responsive sites with SASS/Compass or if they're using another framework.

Thanks in advance!

Jensen Hussey about 5 years ago

Hi Daniel!

I see no one /actually/ answered the question you have so I decided to pipe in.

I know that there are sometimes cases beyond your control that require you to use a non-responsive grid.

In order to use Foundation's grid WITHOUT adhering to responsive design all you need to do is have a top-level parent container that has a static width. For example if the site is 980px wide, set the parent container as width: 980px. Even if you use the responsive grid which is %-based, the percentages will only ever adhere to that 980px space, and not the window.

Also remove all of the media queries from you application, or just use the small grid classes.

Furthermore remove the meta viewport tag in the HTML.

I hope this helps.

Rafi Benkual almost 6 years ago

Hi Daniel, why doesn't the client want a responsive site?

Have explained the benefits to them? http://zurb.com/article/1232/with-817-mobile-devices-accessing-our-sit

You are free to use any component of Foundation without being bound to use all of it. Like @james said, just don't use the grid.

James Gehring almost 6 years ago

Don't use the grid portion of Foundation and just use the other elements, I am not sure why anyone would want to have a non responsive website.