Menu icon Foundation
Foundation for Apps = Death of Foundation for Sites?

When the new "Foundation for Apps" was announced, I was quite excited. Similar to "Ink", it seemed like a great tool to add to the arsenal - however, does it mean "Foundation for Sites" will eventually be phased out?

I understand that "web apps" are huge and growing quickly - but will they ever completely replace websites? That seems like a longshot.

Screen shot 2014 06 12 at 4.58.34 pm

Foundationsitesversionapps

When the new "Foundation for Apps" was announced, I was quite excited. Similar to "Ink", it seemed like a great tool to add to the arsenal - however, does it mean "Foundation for Sites" will eventually be phased out?

I understand that "web apps" are huge and growing quickly - but will they ever completely replace websites? That seems like a longshot.

Screen shot 2014 06 12 at 4.58.34 pm
Ryan Thomas Riddle over 5 years ago

Jeremy —
Just to add to Bryan and Eric's answers, we delve a bit more into Foundation for Sites with the release of 5.3 here: http://zurb.com/article/1316/foundation-strike-5-3-strike-for-sites

Best,
Ryan

Eric Morris over 5 years ago

Nope. Foundation for Sites, Foundation for Apps and Ink 2.0 (Foundation for Email) will all be supported members of the Foundation family.

Though we have no plans to phase out Foundation for Sites, we won't be doing as much feature development for it while we focus on getting Foundation for Apps and Foundation for Email up to speed. While limited resources is a part of this, a much bigger factor is that Foundation for Sites has, for the most part, reached a stage of maturity. We've reached a stage where there aren't a lot of features we'd actively want to add (we can only cram in so many UI elements, and almost all of the base behaviors and patterns we want are represented within the fairly robust grid), and the community handles a lot of the support burden, both through pull requests and the forum. The fact that Foundation for Sites is rapidly approaching self sufficiency is what caused us to explore these other avenues in the first place, to see where else we could apply ZURB's designers and developers to create value for the community.

Bryan Zmijewski over 5 years ago

Jeremy-
Foundation is a suite of tools to help you design responsively across devices and contexts- we're fully invested in all aspects of the platform.

In fact, we're so committed to making our community and ecosystem thrive, we're investing in the business opportunities that support Foundation. We fully expect companies to be dependent on Foundation for sites for a long time and we want to support their needs.

http://foundation.zurb.com/business/services.html

That said, we also need to keep innovating and driving the industry forward with new technologies! Thanks for your contributions!

Bryan