Menu icon Foundation
Moving on from developing Orbit

Hey everyone! We wanted to let you know what's happening with Orbit moving forward. We have deprecated Orbit. This means it will no longer be developed/supported. It will however remain as is in the framework for people who are already using it.

When we released Orbit four years back, it served a very specific purpose. It was meant to solve the problem of displaying images with captions and come in at a sweet 4kb! Since then, we added responsiveness, tons of controls and evolved it to become a full-featured slider.

We spent tons of hours over the years developing and maintaining Orbit, adding features/enhancements along the way. The landscape of the web has changed quite a bit since then. Now there are many other responsive image solutions out there that do a great job and have many features.

We are going to allocate our development time to other components that are essential in a framework and to Foundation 6. So we are deprecating Orbit to free up that development time. We are leaving Orbit in the framework for you to continue to use.

Here are some options we have used with great success:
Slick Carousel
Owl Carousel

Here are more great options:
WOW Slider
AmazingSlider
MightySlider
BX Slider
Or all of these

As always, we want to hear your questions, concerns or feedback here!

Bitz

Orbitdeprecationimageimage slider

Hey everyone! We wanted to let you know what's happening with Orbit moving forward. We have deprecated Orbit. This means it will no longer be developed/supported. It will however remain as is in the framework for people who are already using it.

When we released Orbit four years back, it served a very specific purpose. It was meant to solve the problem of displaying images with captions and come in at a sweet 4kb! Since then, we added responsiveness, tons of controls and evolved it to become a full-featured slider.

We spent tons of hours over the years developing and maintaining Orbit, adding features/enhancements along the way. The landscape of the web has changed quite a bit since then. Now there are many other responsive image solutions out there that do a great job and have many features.

We are going to allocate our development time to other components that are essential in a framework and to Foundation 6. So we are deprecating Orbit to free up that development time. We are leaving Orbit in the framework for you to continue to use.

Here are some options we have used with great success:
Slick Carousel
Owl Carousel

Here are more great options:
WOW Slider
AmazingSlider
MightySlider
BX Slider
Or all of these

As always, we want to hear your questions, concerns or feedback here!

Bitz
Wing-Hou Chan over 3 years ago

This news was a bit of a shock today. It's a shame that Orbit is being depreciated. I hope it will be picked back up in the future.

Orbit v1.2 was the component that led me to Foundation. And it sure was a good find.

James W. Lane over 3 years ago

Rafi,
Will is be left in Foundation 6, this could be a community supported component.
Or will it be completely removed from Foundation 6.

Eric Morris over 3 years ago

@James

Orbit will most likely not be included in Foundation for Apps (Foundation 6) because it isn't a very common pattern for stateful web apps (it's more of a site feature than an app feature). We are, however, looking at ways to replicate some of the functionalities of Orbit that do make sense for app use cases.

K Lim over 3 years ago

@Eric, @Rafi,

My 2 cents on this.
I think this is a rather unfortunate decision. There seems to be tons of Orbit related questions on the Forum to suggest that it is one of the features in Foundation that has high usage. Pulling out support for it does not seem helpful for the community at large that uses Foundation.

Samuel Kelemen over 3 years ago

Hopefully Orbit will both be include in F6 as well as supported by the community as this was also a core feature that lead me to foundation as well.

Andrew Layton over 3 years ago

Thanks for adding more details and links to the docs. :)

I just hope my car manufacturer doesn't send out a letter saying windshield wipers are no longer included because they aren't a "core feature" of the car. . .

Josef Ulander over 3 years ago

Thaks guys for providing Orbit over the years! I´ve used it a lot.

I checked out your suggested sliders above and I was really exited over Slick Carousel, can't wait to try it on my next project.

Patrick Mccaffrey over 3 years ago

Orbit has been borked for me since 5.1.1. I guess removing it all together is one way to fix it.

David Dowdall over 3 years ago

When is the funeral service?

Joe Workman over 3 years ago

I should have done this before Orbit got to this point. I submitted a Pull Request that brings Orbit back to its former glory (pre-5.2).

I reverted the code base back to 5.1.1 and then went through all of the commits since and added most new features and pertinent bug fixes that have been committed since then.

I hope that this fixes most people's issues. It fixes all of mine. :-)

https://github.com/zurb/foundation/pull/5308

Joel Kinzel over 3 years ago

I have to say that I'm really disappointed. The other options are great, but because they don't really tie into the Foundation core, I've had problems with them. I've tried both Slick and Owl, and while they are great, they don't play nicely with Equalizer.

Rafi Benkual over 3 years ago

Joe Workman's PR was just pulled in and will restore the most important functionality. We pulled it down and tested it. He did a great job. That update will be in 5.3 on next Wednesday.

Malou Geurts over 3 years ago

It's a shame Orbit will no longer be supported, but I've had most of my issues with Orbit, so I understand that it's just too much to keep around. Thanks for making it though, and keeping it available. I hope the community will keep it alive and functioning in the future! :)

Dave over 3 years ago

The right decision - Orbit never worked properly for me as every image always displayed down the page before the JS kicked in .

Zachary Lyons over 3 years ago

As a new user comparing Bootstrap and Foundation, I would prefer that Foundation has a responsive slider built-in. I'm happy to see typography built-in, and was hoping for the same in the slider department.

Denn about 3 years ago

It would be nice if there were some links to real life examples of using Slick (since that seems to be where you want people to go) or Owl. We are trying to work with it but it has no forum, no faq and the examples are pretty minimal. Also the responsiveness built in seems somewhat at odds with your approach (you using em in media queries, they use pixel breakpoints and no media queries, etc.) When i search "Slick in this forum all I come up with is the post this reply is attached to.

Kevin RAy about 3 years ago

I agree with zurb. There are sooooooo many better option out there that are far more powerful and have far more options. This was a good call. You guy can focus that time and energy on something more useful to us.

Wayne Rowlands about 3 years ago

I agree with Zurb's decision to walk away from developing a slider. There many great ones out there. I personally use the Revolution Slider and it has many great features. Thanks to the great work by Zurb for the CSS.

websitemedia almost 3 years ago

Greetings guys,

Does orbit slider work @ with foundation v 5.5.0 ?

I am having a difficult time using it.

Braulio

abdessamad idrissi almost 3 years ago

Please provide jQuery Cycle 2 as an alternative; it is more advanced than Slick slider or Owel slider..