Menu icon Foundation

Developer | New Orleans, LA

My Posts

No Content

My Comments

Vaughn D. Taylor commented on Martin's post about 2 years

@KSP, if it makes you feel any better, I'm completely in the dark with how to get Foundation 6.4 working. What I've learned is that there are several installation guides -- none of which are the same:
http://foundation.zurb.com/sites/docs/installation.htmlhttps://github.com/zurb/foundation-sites
The instructions on each do not address any of the questions I have which is how do I get an installation that is similar to 6.3.x where I can include pre-compiled JS files in my main app.js file. I'm using Codekit to assemble and compile my files, and 6.4.x seems to have broken my workflow all together.
Hopefully the folks at Foundation will come up with a definitive (and easy to understand) installation guide for users who do not want the basic install. Otherwise, I'm changing frameworks.
Frankly, I'm completely disgusted with this upgrade -- I've wasted countless hours trying to get it to work.

Vaughn D. Taylor commented on Dominic Barnard's post about 2 years

@Matthew, I'm not looking to learn more stuff right now. I already have enough on my plate. When I attended the Webex announcing 6.4, I was assured that there would be no problems migrating. Maybe what I should have asked is if they made major changes in the way that the code is compiled that would force a complete change in my workflow. But, that didn't really seem like something I needed to ask?!

I wanted to add that I do not use NPM to build my project. I use Codekit on the Mac, which is why I just need the bower components. Essentially, I believe I'm doing the same thing with Codekit that webpacks accomplishes which is to bundle modules, control output compression, and control output locations. This is all done in Codekit's nice UI -- I don't feel like moving to command line for bundling my modules. Not because I'm incapable of moving to command line, but because I'm reluctant to change a workflow that took quite awhile to set up and accomplishes the same thing.
If I'm completely misunderstanding what is going on here, please correct me. I tend to avoid CLI when there's a visual tool that accomplishes the same.

@Matthew Meaklim, sorry for not responding earlier. I rolled back to 6.3.1 because I cannot afford to lose any time right now. I was hoping that the migration from 6.3.x to 6.4 would be much easier, but since they decided to move to webpacks, it became much more difficult.
Of course the problem is not with backwards compatibility of the Foundation structural elements, but with the methodology to compile the application. It seems to be a big mistake to force a change in workflow, but that's just my two cents.

It's Foundation 6.4.1

@Matthew Meaklim, I'm on Foundation CLI version 2.2.3 and my NPM version is 5.0.4. I just reinstalled using NPM and sure enough, I have a bower_components directory.

@Matthew Meaklim, I'm not sure how our installations are different, however there is a bower_components directory in my installation? Also on the installation page, they reference the bower install command line.

Vaughn D. Taylor commented on Dustin Cook's post almost 5 years

Uninstalling 3.4.x then reinstalling 3.3.x works for sure. To do this quickly:

Check version:

$ sass -v

If you have 3.4.x (using sudo):

$ sudo gem uninstall sass

To install the last 3.3.x release

$ sudo gem install sass -v 3.3.14

Vaughn D. Taylor commented on Dustin Cook's post almost 5 years

Has there been any resolution on this? I just installed 5.4.3 as well and the problem is not resolved.

@Trayy Dee, I watched your screencast. In bower_components/foundation/scss/foundation/ I have two bower json files > .bower.json and bower.json (dot at the beginning of first). In the .bower.json file, the version is showing as 5.4.3 and in the bower.json file the version is showing as 5.4.2. Shouldn't there only be one file here and which one is correct?

I'm reluctant to downgrade my SASS as recommended. Hopefully there will be a fix soon?

Vaughn D. Taylor commented on Charles Michel's post almost 5 years

I'm having the same issue. It appears that most of the classes are not compiling. I have almost every class uncommented in my _settings.scss file and I'm loading all of the components in my app.scss file.

As a test, I renamed my _settings.scss > _monkey.scss and changed @import "settings" > @import "monkey" in app.scss. This compiled with no errors. This tells me that I'm loading the correct settings file and not the default settings file from bower_components/foundation/scss/foundation/ which has none of the classes uncommented.

If it's any help at all to the folks on the development team, I'm only getting the following classes in my app.css file (according the my comment lines):

../bower_components/foundation/scss/foundation/components/_breadcrumbs.scss
../bower_components/foundation/scss/foundation/components/_icon-bar.scss
../bower_components/foundation/scss/foundation/components/_offcanvas.scss
../bower_components/foundation/scss/foundation/components/_visibility.scss

My full app.css file is 772 lines long uncompressed.

Posts Followed

Replies
  • Fresh 6.4 download JS errors

By Dominic Barnard

6.4jserror

Hi, I downloaded the complete 6.4 version with vanilla JS & CSS, and on page load I see this error in console:   foundation.js TypeError: __WEBPACK_IMPORTED_MODULE_1__home_deployer_sites_node_foundation_customizer_node_foundation_customizer_f... (continued)

Last Reply by Negin about 1 year ago

Following

No Content

Followers

My Posts

No Content

My Comments

You commented on Martin's post about 2 years

@KSP, if it makes you feel any better, I'm completely in the dark with how to get Foundation 6.4 working. What I've learned is that there are several installation guides -- none of which are the same:
http://foundation.zurb.com/sites/docs/installation.htmlhttps://github.com/zurb/foundation-sites
The instructions on each do not address any of the questions I have which is how do I get an installation that is similar to 6.3.x where I can include pre-compiled JS files in my main app.js file. I'm using Codekit to assemble and compile my files, and 6.4.x seems to have broken my workflow all together.
Hopefully the folks at Foundation will come up with a definitive (and easy to understand) installation guide for users who do not want the basic install. Otherwise, I'm changing frameworks.
Frankly, I'm completely disgusted with this upgrade -- I've wasted countless hours trying to get it to work.

You commented on Dominic Barnard's post about 2 years

@Matthew, I'm not looking to learn more stuff right now. I already have enough on my plate. When I attended the Webex announcing 6.4, I was assured that there would be no problems migrating. Maybe what I should have asked is if they made major changes in the way that the code is compiled that would force a complete change in my workflow. But, that didn't really seem like something I needed to ask?!

I wanted to add that I do not use NPM to build my project. I use Codekit on the Mac, which is why I just need the bower components. Essentially, I believe I'm doing the same thing with Codekit that webpacks accomplishes which is to bundle modules, control output compression, and control output locations. This is all done in Codekit's nice UI -- I don't feel like moving to command line for bundling my modules. Not because I'm incapable of moving to command line, but because I'm reluctant to change a workflow that took quite awhile to set up and accomplishes the same thing.
If I'm completely misunderstanding what is going on here, please correct me. I tend to avoid CLI when there's a visual tool that accomplishes the same.

@Matthew Meaklim, sorry for not responding earlier. I rolled back to 6.3.1 because I cannot afford to lose any time right now. I was hoping that the migration from 6.3.x to 6.4 would be much easier, but since they decided to move to webpacks, it became much more difficult.
Of course the problem is not with backwards compatibility of the Foundation structural elements, but with the methodology to compile the application. It seems to be a big mistake to force a change in workflow, but that's just my two cents.

It's Foundation 6.4.1

@Matthew Meaklim, I'm on Foundation CLI version 2.2.3 and my NPM version is 5.0.4. I just reinstalled using NPM and sure enough, I have a bower_components directory.

@Matthew Meaklim, I'm not sure how our installations are different, however there is a bower_components directory in my installation? Also on the installation page, they reference the bower install command line.

You commented on Dustin Cook's post almost 5 years

Uninstalling 3.4.x then reinstalling 3.3.x works for sure. To do this quickly:

Check version:

$ sass -v

If you have 3.4.x (using sudo):

$ sudo gem uninstall sass

To install the last 3.3.x release

$ sudo gem install sass -v 3.3.14

You commented on Dustin Cook's post almost 5 years

Has there been any resolution on this? I just installed 5.4.3 as well and the problem is not resolved.

@Trayy Dee, I watched your screencast. In bower_components/foundation/scss/foundation/ I have two bower json files > .bower.json and bower.json (dot at the beginning of first). In the .bower.json file, the version is showing as 5.4.3 and in the bower.json file the version is showing as 5.4.2. Shouldn't there only be one file here and which one is correct?

I'm reluctant to downgrade my SASS as recommended. Hopefully there will be a fix soon?

You commented on Charles Michel's post almost 5 years

I'm having the same issue. It appears that most of the classes are not compiling. I have almost every class uncommented in my _settings.scss file and I'm loading all of the components in my app.scss file.

As a test, I renamed my _settings.scss > _monkey.scss and changed @import "settings" > @import "monkey" in app.scss. This compiled with no errors. This tells me that I'm loading the correct settings file and not the default settings file from bower_components/foundation/scss/foundation/ which has none of the classes uncommented.

If it's any help at all to the folks on the development team, I'm only getting the following classes in my app.css file (according the my comment lines):

../bower_components/foundation/scss/foundation/components/_breadcrumbs.scss
../bower_components/foundation/scss/foundation/components/_icon-bar.scss
../bower_components/foundation/scss/foundation/components/_offcanvas.scss
../bower_components/foundation/scss/foundation/components/_visibility.scss

My full app.css file is 772 lines long uncompressed.

Posts Followed

Following

• No Content

Followers

• No Content