Menu icon Foundation

Developer | London

Doctor turning developer...slowly.

My Posts

My Comments

James Foxlee commented on James Foxlee's post about 5 years

Hi Rafi, my bower.json file is the same as yours. As a sanity check, I've just created new project using the CLI - I also ran foundation update and bower update just to see if that pulled the latest on GitHub.

Here is what I have in my _settings.scss: (line 41)

// Global

// We use these to control various global styles
// $body-bg: #fff;
// $body-font-color: #222;
// $body-font-family: "Helvetica Neue", "Helvetica", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;
// $body-font-weight: $font-weight-normal;
// $body-font-style: normal;

Whereas the latest _settings.scss on GitHub has: (line 41)

// Global

// We use these to define default font weights
// $font-weight-normal: normal !default
// $font-weight-bold: bold !default

// $body-font-family: "Helvetica Neue", "Helvetica", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;

You can see that the latest GitHub version has the globals, the fact that these were missing was the source of the compile errors. There are other differences between what Foundation CLI downloaded and the version on GitHub, the above is not the only difference.

Should I steer clear of using the CLI if it isn't using the latest files?

James Foxlee commented on Jon Friedrich's post about 5 years

Karl, I'm having issues with this as well, new to Foundation and it's my first CSS framework.

I have successfully created a new Sass project using Foundation CLI, and my /scss folder contains the default app.scss and _settings.scss files (the latter of which is all commented out).

From looking here and at online tutorials I thought you could start customising by uncommenting things in _settings.scss and setting to new values. However whenever I do this I get "Undefined variable:" compilation warnings from Compass.

Obviously at that point the variables like $font-weight-normal aren't known to the compiler. They are in _global.scss though - and it's the following point I don't understand.

Why do we

@import "settings"

before "foundation" if all the globals are held in the latter? Shouldn\t we import "foundation" first?

Posts Followed

Following

No Content

Followers

My Posts

My Comments

You commented on James Foxlee's post about 5 years

Hi Rafi, my bower.json file is the same as yours. As a sanity check, I've just created new project using the CLI - I also ran foundation update and bower update just to see if that pulled the latest on GitHub.

Here is what I have in my _settings.scss: (line 41)

// Global

Whereas the latest _settings.scss on GitHub has: (line 41)

// Global

// We use these to define default font weights
// $font-weight-normal: normal !default
// $font-weight-bold: bold !default

You can see that the latest GitHub version has the globals, the fact that these were missing was the source of the compile errors. There are other differences between what Foundation CLI downloaded and the version on GitHub, the above is not the only difference.

Should I steer clear of using the CLI if it isn't using the latest files?

You commented on Jon Friedrich's post about 5 years

Karl, I'm having issues with this as well, new to Foundation and it's my first CSS framework.

I have successfully created a new Sass project using Foundation CLI, and my /scss folder contains the default app.scss and _settings.scss files (the latter of which is all commented out).

From looking here and at online tutorials I thought you could start customising by uncommenting things in _settings.scss and setting to new values. However whenever I do this I get "Undefined variable:" compilation warnings from Compass.

Obviously at that point the variables like $font-weight-normal aren't known to the compiler. They are in _global.scss though - and it's the following point I don't understand.

Why do we

@import "settings"

before "foundation" if all the globals are held in the latter? Shouldn\t we import "foundation" first?

Posts Followed

Following

• No Content

Followers

• No Content