Menu icon Foundation

Designer | Fort Lauderdale, FL

My Posts

Replies
  • Orbit deprecated?

By Marv Steigman

Orbit Deprecation

I noticed in the docs for the first time today that Orbit has been deprecated? Is this new news? I am relatively new to Foundation and am loving it, but would never had moved this way if I had thought that was coming. Is there some new replacement slid... (continued)

Last Reply by jessica ndaye almost 5 years ago

My Comments

Marv Steigman commented on Trevor West's post over 5 years

A bit to late to this game, but, here is an example of where using less than 12 columns is an easy way forward: http://marvbox.com/less_than_12_columns.html

There are other, in some ways more correct, methods to accomplish the same thing but none as easy and clean as this. ( would remove the left padding on the images if this were for real)

Marv Steigman commented on Brett Hambridge's post over 5 years

Just wanted to add my many thanks to @Brett who saved me a few MORE hours and some strands of precious hair!

@Rafi, why is this still not fixed in the latest CSS from Zurb? Just an oversight or Is it because it is easily corrected for those not using plain old CSS? I am a bit concerned about having to rearrange the CSS every time there is an update from Zurb. Can we some kind of reassurance from you that this will be corrected in the next update?

Marv Steigman commented on Pierre MARTIN's post over 5 years

Just confirming that it does affect rendering in Safari, iOS or otherwise.

Marv Steigman commented on JapperCat's post over 5 years

That was a clever idea but doesn't seem to work correctly for me. Didn't spend a lot of time on it but although content comes in fine, top-bar links stop working.

If someone can make it work, please post back here.

Marv Steigman commented on Marv Steigman's post over 5 years

@Rafi

Thanks for taking the time to put that list together. Having said that, i know there are many other sliders out there, the same could be said for any one of Foundations features. It's the "package" that makes Foundation appealing, along with the comfort of knowing that someone else is worrying about what plays nicely together. Having Orbit at hand is not a necessity but rather a convenience.

We are a community, a community which you formed and invited us to participate in so i don't think it's out of line, to ask, as @Andrew did, why was orbit deprecated? I suggested some possible reasons in my initial post. Are those accurate?

I clearly understand that we can continue to use Orbit but at some point issues will slowly develop and come to light and without Zurb's support we will never know what is causing them i have traveled this road before.

Marv Steigman commented on Marv Steigman's post over 5 years

@Andrew.... "kinda took the wind out of the sails ..."

My feelings exactly.! Hard to grasp why Zurb would do this, although I suspect that orbit has caused a disproportionate share of headaches for them. I understand that there are many alternatives and I have used Royal Slider with great success, but it's the tight integration that is appealing. Then there is the fact that sliders are still popular and the "competition" still has carousel.

One of my fears in choosing Zurb over Bootstrap was that I suspected there would be more arbitrary give and take based on the business needs and available resources at Zurb. I'm thinking that may be the case here. Still love Foundation but need consistency and long term support.

Posts Followed

No Content

Following

No Content

Followers

My Posts

My Comments

You commented on Trevor West's post over 5 years

A bit to late to this game, but, here is an example of where using less than 12 columns is an easy way forward: http://marvbox.com/less_than_12_columns.html

There are other, in some ways more correct, methods to accomplish the same thing but none as easy and clean as this. ( would remove the left padding on the images if this were for real)

You commented on Brett Hambridge's post over 5 years

Just wanted to add my many thanks to @Brett who saved me a few MORE hours and some strands of precious hair!

@Rafi, why is this still not fixed in the latest CSS from Zurb? Just an oversight or Is it because it is easily corrected for those not using plain old CSS? I am a bit concerned about having to rearrange the CSS every time there is an update from Zurb. Can we some kind of reassurance from you that this will be corrected in the next update?

You commented on Pierre MARTIN's post over 5 years

Just confirming that it does affect rendering in Safari, iOS or otherwise.

You commented on JapperCat's post over 5 years

That was a clever idea but doesn't seem to work correctly for me. Didn't spend a lot of time on it but although content comes in fine, top-bar links stop working.

If someone can make it work, please post back here.

You commented on Marv Steigman's post over 5 years

@Rafi

Thanks for taking the time to put that list together. Having said that, i know there are many other sliders out there, the same could be said for any one of Foundations features. It's the "package" that makes Foundation appealing, along with the comfort of knowing that someone else is worrying about what plays nicely together. Having Orbit at hand is not a necessity but rather a convenience.

We are a community, a community which you formed and invited us to participate in so i don't think it's out of line, to ask, as @Andrew did, why was orbit deprecated? I suggested some possible reasons in my initial post. Are those accurate?

I clearly understand that we can continue to use Orbit but at some point issues will slowly develop and come to light and without Zurb's support we will never know what is causing them i have traveled this road before.

You commented on Marv Steigman's post over 5 years

@Andrew.... "kinda took the wind out of the sails ..."

My feelings exactly.! Hard to grasp why Zurb would do this, although I suspect that orbit has caused a disproportionate share of headaches for them. I understand that there are many alternatives and I have used Royal Slider with great success, but it's the tight integration that is appealing. Then there is the fact that sliders are still popular and the "competition" still has carousel.

One of my fears in choosing Zurb over Bootstrap was that I suspected there would be more arbitrary give and take based on the business needs and available resources at Zurb. I'm thinking that may be the case here. Still love Foundation but need consistency and long term support.

Posts Followed

No Content

Following

• No Content

Followers

• No Content