Menu icon Foundation

My Posts

My Comments

Jake Wilson commented on Jake Wilson's post over 5 years

If I just download the SASS files from GitHub, where do I need to import the _settings.scss, since it's not imported anywhere?

Also, any thoughts on why the ruby gem foundation is only version 1.x and zurb-foundation is 4.3.x ? Is there not a v 5.x gem yet?

Also thanks for the hint about !default. I didn't know that.

Btw, when I look at the available foundation gems:

http://rubygems.org/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&query=foundation

I don't see anything regarding installing foundation v 5.x. The latest version is 4.3.2....

Again, am I missing something obvious here?

Another thing, I get all sorts of Ruby errors when trying to install the foundation or zurb-foundation gems on my development server. So I can't even get the foundation CLI to work...

Another thing, how come when I look at the GitHub repo, I see the _settings.scss:

https://github.com/zurb/foundation/blob/master/scss/foundation/_settings.scss

But it's not imported in any of the files. It's not in foundation.scss or _global.scss or _functions.scss etc....

You guys really shouldn't require people to install a custom CLI app just to get this working right. Make it optional. Give people the ability to download everything they need from GitHub or whatever. Right now it seems like what you get from the CLI app is different than what you get from GitHub, which doesn't make sense at all. If people can successfully install and use the CLI, then that's great. But it's not always the case.

Jake Wilson commented on Luke Adamis's post over 5 years

Luke, the master branch in the GitHub repo is considered the latest development version. It is different than what is available on the website and has the possibility of being less stable.

If you want a specific version, that's very easy to download from GitHub as well. Simply click the branch dropdown, then click the Tags tab. Then you can choose from any specific version, for example:

https://github.com/zurb/foundation/tree/v5.2.1

That's the way I use Foundation. I simply download whatever version I want from the repo.

The problem is that for certain client's web servers, they are using a shared environment that doesn't allow for installing custom CLI programs like foundation. Thankfully these webservers already have sass installed. In these situations, the best solution is to be able to simply download the SCSS files and compile them via the command line w/ --watch option.

A custom CLI is simply not available as an option for me.

Why is the _app.scss not in the GitHub repo? And if _app.scss has similar functionality to foundation.scss (where you choose what to include in the project) then what is the point of having both of them?

This all seems more complicated than necessary unless I'm missing something obvious.

Where is this _app.scss file at?

https://github.com/zurb/foundation/tree/master/scss

I always just download the latest tag from GitHub when I want to upgrade. I don't really use the CLI tool. Is the _app.scss only available via the CLI tool?

Okay so I've never messed with _settings.scss before... When I want to change something in foundation, I typically go right into the appropriate scss file and change it.

For example, if I want to change header sizes, I open _type.scss and edit the following area:

// We use these to control header font sizes
$h1-font-size: rem-calc(44) !default;
$h2-font-size: rem-calc(37) !default;
$h3-font-size: rem-calc(27) !default;
$h4-font-size: rem-calc(23) !default;
$h5-font-size: rem-calc(18) !default;
$h6-font-size: 1rem !default;

Are you saying that I should not be editing this stuff and instead I should be finding similar values in _settings.scss and changing them there? That would make upgrading more easy for sure.

Can guys explain where _settings.scss comes into play in the build process? For example, again looking at _type.scss. I see _global.scss imported first. Then all the settings like header sizes etc... I don't see anywhere after this where _settings.scss is imported. How does _settings.scss override the settings that are in _type.scss ?

Thanks for your help.

Too bad zurb just doesn't give people a download link. Not everyone wants to deal with yet another package manager (composer, gem, yum, apt, bower, npm, etc.......) and a new CLI tool with more hoops to jump through. It's not like foundation's SCSS and JS files have dependencies that need to be downloaded in conjunction with it, which is the real purpose of package managers to begin with.

Also if gem shows that it's installing foundation v1.0.3 that's going to be very confusing considering that the current stable version is 5.1.1. If I saw that I would immediately think I downloaded the wrong thing.

Jake Wilson commented on James Cocker's post over 5 years

I get the following JS error in IE8 when loading the page:

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0)
Timestamp: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 04:42:21 UTC

Line: 221
Char: 9
Code: 0
URI: http://entegracoach.jake.hp/js/foundation/foundation.js

And
Line 221:

return this.libs[lib].init.apply(this.libs[lib], args);

Any clue what the problem is here? How do I fix this?

Jake Wilson commented on Maxwell Le's post over 5 years

You forgot to include the offcanvas javascript:

<script src="/js/foundation/foundation.min.js></script>
<script src="/js/foundation/foundation.offcanvas.js></script>

Posts Followed

Following

No Content

Followers

My Posts

My Comments

You commented on Jake Wilson's post over 5 years

If I just download the SASS files from GitHub, where do I need to import the _settings.scss, since it's not imported anywhere?

Also, any thoughts on why the ruby gem foundation is only version 1.x and zurb-foundation is 4.3.x ? Is there not a v 5.x gem yet?

Also thanks for the hint about !default. I didn't know that.

Btw, when I look at the available foundation gems:

http://rubygems.org/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&query=foundation

I don't see anything regarding installing foundation v 5.x. The latest version is 4.3.2....

Again, am I missing something obvious here?

Another thing, I get all sorts of Ruby errors when trying to install the foundation or zurb-foundation gems on my development server. So I can't even get the foundation CLI to work...

Another thing, how come when I look at the GitHub repo, I see the _settings.scss:

https://github.com/zurb/foundation/blob/master/scss/foundation/_settings.scss

But it's not imported in any of the files. It's not in foundation.scss or _global.scss or _functions.scss etc....

You guys really shouldn't require people to install a custom CLI app just to get this working right. Make it optional. Give people the ability to download everything they need from GitHub or whatever. Right now it seems like what you get from the CLI app is different than what you get from GitHub, which doesn't make sense at all. If people can successfully install and use the CLI, then that's great. But it's not always the case.

You commented on Luke Adamis's post over 5 years

Luke, the master branch in the GitHub repo is considered the latest development version. It is different than what is available on the website and has the possibility of being less stable.

If you want a specific version, that's very easy to download from GitHub as well. Simply click the branch dropdown, then click the Tags tab. Then you can choose from any specific version, for example:

https://github.com/zurb/foundation/tree/v5.2.1

That's the way I use Foundation. I simply download whatever version I want from the repo.

The problem is that for certain client's web servers, they are using a shared environment that doesn't allow for installing custom CLI programs like foundation. Thankfully these webservers already have sass installed. In these situations, the best solution is to be able to simply download the SCSS files and compile them via the command line w/ --watch option.

A custom CLI is simply not available as an option for me.

Why is the _app.scss not in the GitHub repo? And if _app.scss has similar functionality to foundation.scss (where you choose what to include in the project) then what is the point of having both of them?

This all seems more complicated than necessary unless I'm missing something obvious.

Where is this _app.scss file at?

https://github.com/zurb/foundation/tree/master/scss

I always just download the latest tag from GitHub when I want to upgrade. I don't really use the CLI tool. Is the _app.scss only available via the CLI tool?

Okay so I've never messed with _settings.scss before... When I want to change something in foundation, I typically go right into the appropriate scss file and change it.

For example, if I want to change header sizes, I open _type.scss and edit the following area:

// We use these to control header font sizes
$h1-font-size: rem-calc(44) !default;
$h2-font-size: rem-calc(37) !default;
$h3-font-size: rem-calc(27) !default;
$h4-font-size: rem-calc(23) !default;
$h5-font-size: rem-calc(18) !default;
$h6-font-size: 1rem !default;

Are you saying that I should not be editing this stuff and instead I should be finding similar values in _settings.scss and changing them there? That would make upgrading more easy for sure.

Can guys explain where _settings.scss comes into play in the build process? For example, again looking at _type.scss. I see _global.scss imported first. Then all the settings like header sizes etc... I don't see anywhere after this where _settings.scss is imported. How does _settings.scss override the settings that are in _type.scss ?

Thanks for your help.

Too bad zurb just doesn't give people a download link. Not everyone wants to deal with yet another package manager (composer, gem, yum, apt, bower, npm, etc.......) and a new CLI tool with more hoops to jump through. It's not like foundation's SCSS and JS files have dependencies that need to be downloaded in conjunction with it, which is the real purpose of package managers to begin with.

Also if gem shows that it's installing foundation v1.0.3 that's going to be very confusing considering that the current stable version is 5.1.1. If I saw that I would immediately think I downloaded the wrong thing.

You commented on James Cocker's post over 5 years

I get the following JS error in IE8 when loading the page:

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0)
Timestamp: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 04:42:21 UTC

Line: 221
Char: 9
Code: 0
URI: http://entegracoach.jake.hp/js/foundation/foundation.js

And
Line 221:

return this.libs[lib].init.apply(this.libs[lib], args);

Any clue what the problem is here? How do I fix this?

You commented on Maxwell Le's post over 5 years

You forgot to include the offcanvas javascript:

<script src="/js/foundation/foundation.min.js></script>
<script src="/js/foundation/foundation.offcanvas.js></script>

Posts Followed

Following

• No Content

Followers

• No Content