Menu icon Foundation

My Posts

My Comments

nick savior commented on nick savior's post over 5 years

thanks Andrew and Karl for your responses. Very helpful. ill consider.

Karl, Regarding agnostic design and the fluid grid. I think agnostic design is great - ive been interested in the idea for a long time. Back when flash was popular I used to set up sites based on percentages to the same effect - minus a grid of course. BUT i think scaling vs snapping (what the correct terminology? .. 'fluid responsive' vs 'fixed responsive'?) is as much a design choice as anything else. Just as choosing a font sets a tone i think scaling does the same.

this is one of my favorite sites - thegreatdiscontent.com - the whole grid is fluid. everything scales between breakpoints and fits the tone of the site. its beautiful.

another site i love is nowness.com - between its two largest sizes there is a snap - not alot changes mainly just the featured content window and if you werent paying attention you may not even notice it happen. I think that is classic and elegant and matches the feeling of the site. I think fluid scaling in this case would be distracting.

However moving to small screen sizes like tablets or smart phones where there is no way to resize the browser and there are tons of differnent resolutions to deal with fluid scaling is the obvious choice.

I think it would be a nice option to have a simple built in snap or fluid command to choose from.
maybe there is - im still learning.

anyways. nice to hear your thoughts
best
n

Thanks for your response Karl. I understand where you are coming from. Still, ideally, i would like to 'snap' between the two largest sizes... so from say 1280 to 1024 theres no scaling. them below that everything else scales.

So my question is still, personal preferences aside, is there a way to achieve this easily with foundation? Since the foodsense site is built on foundation and 'snaps' im assuming it is possible but am wondering how difficult is that to achieve?

Anyone?

thanks!
n

Hi Rafi, thanks for your reply. Mainly for aesthetic reasons. I dont mind the fluidness at smaller resolutions but on the larger sizes id rather it snap down to size.

So you would say to build the foodsense site on foundation they had to use more round about methods, right?

thanks
n

Posts Followed

No Content

Following

No Content

Followers

My Posts

My Comments

You commented on nick savior's post over 5 years

thanks Andrew and Karl for your responses. Very helpful. ill consider.

Karl, Regarding agnostic design and the fluid grid. I think agnostic design is great - ive been interested in the idea for a long time. Back when flash was popular I used to set up sites based on percentages to the same effect - minus a grid of course. BUT i think scaling vs snapping (what the correct terminology? .. 'fluid responsive' vs 'fixed responsive'?) is as much a design choice as anything else. Just as choosing a font sets a tone i think scaling does the same.

this is one of my favorite sites - thegreatdiscontent.com - the whole grid is fluid. everything scales between breakpoints and fits the tone of the site. its beautiful.

another site i love is nowness.com - between its two largest sizes there is a snap - not alot changes mainly just the featured content window and if you werent paying attention you may not even notice it happen. I think that is classic and elegant and matches the feeling of the site. I think fluid scaling in this case would be distracting.

However moving to small screen sizes like tablets or smart phones where there is no way to resize the browser and there are tons of differnent resolutions to deal with fluid scaling is the obvious choice.

I think it would be a nice option to have a simple built in snap or fluid command to choose from.
maybe there is - im still learning.

anyways. nice to hear your thoughts
best
n

Thanks for your response Karl. I understand where you are coming from. Still, ideally, i would like to 'snap' between the two largest sizes... so from say 1280 to 1024 theres no scaling. them below that everything else scales.

So my question is still, personal preferences aside, is there a way to achieve this easily with foundation? Since the foodsense site is built on foundation and 'snaps' im assuming it is possible but am wondering how difficult is that to achieve?

Anyone?

thanks!
n

Hi Rafi, thanks for your reply. Mainly for aesthetic reasons. I dont mind the fluidness at smaller resolutions but on the larger sizes id rather it snap down to size.

So you would say to build the foodsense site on foundation they had to use more round about methods, right?

thanks
n

Posts Followed

No Content

Following

• No Content

Followers

• No Content