Menu icon Foundation

My Posts

No Content

My Comments

Paul @ cactusoft commented on Paul @ cactusoft's post over 3 years

Sorry for the delayed response... my account was frozen for some reason, and after it was sorted I got sidetracked with other things.

I figured out what the problem was by trial and error. It was a CSS issue due to other code I had in there to do a footer that on short pages will stick to the bottom of the screen. Something in here doesn't agree with the sticky top-bar:

html                                    { background: #ddd; height:100%; overflow:scroll; overflow:-moz-scrollbars-vertical; overflow-x:hidden; overflow-y:hidden; }
body                  { background-color: #fff; min-height: 100%; overflow-y: hidden; }
body.main                               { background: #ddd; height: 100%; overflow-y: scroll; }
#container                              { background-color: #fff; max-width: 900px; margin: 0 auto; min-height: 100%; }

I imagine it is probably the height:100%, or possibly the overflow settings.

When I removed this code, the top-bar is sticky like it should be.

Hope this might help someone in future.

Paul @ cactusoft commented on Rafi Benkual's post over 3 years

You could institute something like 4 or 5 members clicking on a report button hides the spam. You could probably get away with 2 or 3 to be honest. Because I think you guys work hard enough without having to pro-actively go through deleting spam.

Another thing we found quite effective at stopping automated spam is to change the names of the form fields on a rotating basis (obviously whatever system you use has to sync the form and the handler). And then stick in a couple of extra fields which are hidden and must remain blank. Most spam bots just push spam into everything, and try to post directly to the handler, so this can be quite effective - if you find any value in those fields which are hidden with CSS, you silently drop the post (but return the same message to the poster, so any machine cannot tell whether it was successful or not).

Paul @ cactusoft commented on James Cocker's post almost 4 years

We've found the easiest solution until IE8 disappears is to detect browser server side, and then serve a more conventional 'skin' that is not based on Foundation at all to IE8 and earlier hold outs.

Of course that older skin is not responsive, but nobody on IE8 or earlier is going to be on a tablet or mobile so it really doesn't matter. Things don't need to be perfect for IE8 or earlier, they just need to be usable.

Posts Followed

No Content

Following

No Content

Followers

My Posts

No Content

My Comments

You commented on Paul @ cactusoft's post over 3 years

Sorry for the delayed response... my account was frozen for some reason, and after it was sorted I got sidetracked with other things.

I figured out what the problem was by trial and error. It was a CSS issue due to other code I had in there to do a footer that on short pages will stick to the bottom of the screen. Something in here doesn't agree with the sticky top-bar:

html                                    { background: #ddd; height:100%; overflow:scroll; overflow:-moz-scrollbars-vertical; overflow-x:hidden; overflow-y:hidden; }
body                  { background-color: #fff; min-height: 100%; overflow-y: hidden; }
body.main                               { background: #ddd; height: 100%; overflow-y: scroll; }
#container                              { background-color: #fff; max-width: 900px; margin: 0 auto; min-height: 100%; }

I imagine it is probably the height:100%, or possibly the overflow settings.

When I removed this code, the top-bar is sticky like it should be.

Hope this might help someone in future.

You commented on Rafi Benkual's post over 3 years

You could institute something like 4 or 5 members clicking on a report button hides the spam. You could probably get away with 2 or 3 to be honest. Because I think you guys work hard enough without having to pro-actively go through deleting spam.

Another thing we found quite effective at stopping automated spam is to change the names of the form fields on a rotating basis (obviously whatever system you use has to sync the form and the handler). And then stick in a couple of extra fields which are hidden and must remain blank. Most spam bots just push spam into everything, and try to post directly to the handler, so this can be quite effective - if you find any value in those fields which are hidden with CSS, you silently drop the post (but return the same message to the poster, so any machine cannot tell whether it was successful or not).

You commented on James Cocker's post almost 4 years

We've found the easiest solution until IE8 disappears is to detect browser server side, and then serve a more conventional 'skin' that is not based on Foundation at all to IE8 and earlier hold outs.

Of course that older skin is not responsive, but nobody on IE8 or earlier is going to be on a tablet or mobile so it really doesn't matter. Things don't need to be perfect for IE8 or earlier, they just need to be usable.

Posts Followed

No Content

Following

• No Content

Followers

• No Content