Menu icon Foundation

My Posts

No Content

My Comments

Narration ZF commented on Hugh Js's post almost 4 years

If you haven't already, it would be very much a recommendation to look at Craft CMS, at https://craftcms.com,

With all the myriad other possibilities out there, why would you do this?

• Craft is very easy to use, responsive, and appealing at the designer level. It will, in very straightforward and attractive terms, handle your content. You can organize and as rapidly reorganize all the structure, cross-connections and relationships you'd wish, from the attractive and clear control panel. You can design any sort of web page, and insert Craft statements to light it up, which come in an extended version of first-class template language Twig. You will have fun doing it, as reported from many developers, and you will enjoy great support and a certain cheer, from the very experienced and the discovering web persons in the thriving Slack and StackExchange user communities, as well as from the quite present Craft designers themselves.. The Live View feature lets you see your pages along with their information side-by-side as both are developed.

• Craft is extremely attractive at the designer level. I think I can promise that this will very likely be the cleanest and most powerful web code environment you have seen. If you enjoy object-orientated design, you'll find Craft always thinks that way. If not, you'll simply appreciate how clean and powerful it is when you want to accomplish a screen, feature, or task. Besides the communities, you'll find the Craft team friendly and very qualified with any support issue, and their creation of features and bug fixes comes at a speed you probably haven't experienced before.

• Do you want to extend capabilities? Craft's powers show no more clearly than when you create a for-purpose plugin. All features and user interface aspects Craft itself are open to you, and they are powerful accelerators. Database uses including with your own custom tables are handled with abstraction layers and created automatically. There are a wide variety of plugins available, both free and for sale, to use or to learn from, also with experts to help or build for you as needed.

• How would you use Craft? It's already in commercial spaces like Associated Press, and in recognized web agencies in New York and abroad. It's in the smallest of websites, where the free Personal version lets you use a very surprising majority of features.. The Pro system includes a visibly clean and effective multi-language capability, among its abilities, where you enter translations right with the original information, . Just become available is a powerfully complete Commerce module, and you can use any license level of Craft with this without restriction, on a local development server and entirely for free.

• Craft is secure, at a level attended to from the first by design.

• Craft is straightforward to understand and elegant to use, which makes it a fitting partner to Foundation.

• if you have a background in design of any kind, I think you'll like what you see here.

I am smiling for having written this, but happy to have done so, for all of us who find the appeal in Craft.

Narration ZF commented on Ben Norman's post almost 5 years

Ok! I noticed on another thread that someone is trying to fix this.

I reinstalled foundation-cli, and this got a new, modified copy of foundation-cli.js, and I think of some other important files.

This still did not work, but failed at a different point: the bundler run.

I experimented to see what bundler command was actually available, and found that bundler.bat was.

I changed line 97 of founmdation-cli.js as follows, to suit:

var bundleInstall = ['bundle.bat'];

Now everything works. I could run foundation-apps new myApp, and then after, go to the myApp folder and successfully run foundation-apps watch, which compiled all.

Have to run, or would put in more detail, but hopefully this gets others going on a Friday evening.

Cheers!

Narration ZF commented on Ben Norman's post almost 5 years

Here's a post that may help some of us. It did the original questioner on stackoverflow, though it didn't help me.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/27308023/foundationcli-enoent-when-creating-a-new-project

I think it's pretty unconscionable for Zurb to post code they haven't tested on Windows. Not to say silly.

Now I know why so little works on each release, until we troubleshoot and individually spend all the time to make workarounds, or weeks go by.

If they did test, they'd realize that there are differences between stacks available to install, and handle them.

I remain very uncertain whether to get so involved with Zurb, just because of this continuous carelessness.

The question of earlier platforms? At least there, you could keep using the earlier Zurbs, and they seem to have woken up about workarounds for the 'all the kool kids' syndrome in some other cases.

It's not all marketing, boys. You have to have substance, and the jury is still out as far as I can see on your behavior there.

There are things like Susy, compass, and otherwise choosing your own tools.

Narration ZF commented on Jean-Pol Dupont's post about 5 years

Rafi, I'm afraid this is about clear as mud. I recovered, maybe.

• I checked Compass version. Yes. 1.0.0, though not 1.0.1.
  • I uninstalled to leave 0.12.02. grunt update failed. I removed whole Compass gem etc. and then installed 0.12.02. grunt update failed as ever.
  • I looked around a bit at the fragmentary information, and threw up hands. I saved my scss folder, and then removed the whole foundation installation from the home folder. I removed and installed the Grunt gem etc., just to be sure.
  • I then create a new application folder for Foundation., Why on earth I have to do this, rather than just rebuild foundation from within the original site folder? This is why I keep foundation in its own folder under the real website, and path css & js there. But really...
  • I cp my original app.scss and _settings.scss into the new scss folder of Foundation's.
  • I do a grunt build, and it succeeds. As an afterthought, just to be sure, I check the bower_components/foundation/bower.json. It indeed confirms I did this with Foundation 5.4.
  • I upload the new app.css to the site, and it seems fine, as far as the few things I'm actually using so far on this prototype. Panels, some curvature to corners, and a gradient across the panels. All gets along with my Craft CMS as expected.
  • i do a diff between the original 5.3 and new 5.4 app.css. Right away I see a meta.foundation-version {font-family:"/{{ VERSION }}/";} at the beginning of the css (it's compressed). The original app.css has properly 5.3.3 where the {{ VERSION }} token is here. Say what?
  • I look further into the one-line massive diff, and find different things every hundred characters or so, at least at the beginning. None of these look like the original mistake, so maybe they are the proper differences.

Summary:
a) grunt updating is massively wrong, and I don't think it has anything to do with Compass, as I'm using Grunt and LibSCSS. Right or wrong?
b) blasting all away and reinstalling everything Foundation and Grunt does seem to work,. Still the basic issue that you recreate the real site folder (dangerous of course) unless you hive Foundation into its very own resource area and just recreate that -- again at risk of losing all your setup in the scss folder.
c) please think what this all means if you are a novice, or if English isn't your first language, etc.. Blast and recreate all is at least understandable, if very dangerous because the tools don't directly let you do it without eliminating and recreating your whole original app folder contents.
d) it is true that I was able to update all the previous versions of Foundation 5 in the expected way. I also remember this kind of non-sequitor, not available, doesn't work on previous Foundation releases. Please think about how it can not do this which 5.4 invents again. Is it so hard?
e) I'm a truly old hand. Have done such things as write a complete (and 18 years successful) natural language understanding machine for Bell Laboratories in C++ when it was the new. And great for this if you understood all that was the matter with Prolog. Webbish 'stuff' is a nightmare by comparison, with all the insensible have-to-know-it in opaque machines. I think the clear thinking we could work with then could make so much difference now. You guys too will tire of the endless 'configure this way' exponentiated by (mis-)interacting tools. I hope you've gone through enough gyrations (must Compass, no must whatever-it-was last time, now must Grunt) to settle down and become smooth, with Foundation, and the tools. I'm not asking you to forgo following the better trajectories of web innovation, but to be wise, and choose smoothness, every time. I actually think you'll advance best yourselves this way. I hope to be using the Foundation which results. Thank you.

Yes, they zapped my follow-on comment too. And sent me to a 404 page where you can't get back to the forum.

I also can still not bower update to 5.4.0 successfully.

What are you doing, Zurbians?

I'm experiencing something similar, trying to update to 5.4.0 from 5.3.3 on Windows.

I get slightly different results if i put 5.4 or 5.4.0 in the bower.json file at the top of the tree.

The bower.json in bower_components/foundation is unchanged after I run bower update. However a new file is created there: .bower.json (note the preceding dot), and it does mention 5.4.0

I suspect the Foundation site isn't set up to allow bower to upgrade to 5.4.0 yet. I believe this happened on some releases in the 5.3 zone recently.

Interested in when it will be possible to upgrade, of course.

Posts Followed

Following

No Content

Followers

My Posts

No Content

My Comments

You commented on Hugh Js's post almost 4 years

If you haven't already, it would be very much a recommendation to look at Craft CMS, at https://craftcms.com,

With all the myriad other possibilities out there, why would you do this?

• Craft is very easy to use, responsive, and appealing at the designer level. It will, in very straightforward and attractive terms, handle your content. You can organize and as rapidly reorganize all the structure, cross-connections and relationships you'd wish, from the attractive and clear control panel. You can design any sort of web page, and insert Craft statements to light it up, which come in an extended version of first-class template language Twig. You will have fun doing it, as reported from many developers, and you will enjoy great support and a certain cheer, from the very experienced and the discovering web persons in the thriving Slack and StackExchange user communities, as well as from the quite present Craft designers themselves.. The Live View feature lets you see your pages along with their information side-by-side as both are developed.

• Craft is extremely attractive at the designer level. I think I can promise that this will very likely be the cleanest and most powerful web code environment you have seen. If you enjoy object-orientated design, you'll find Craft always thinks that way. If not, you'll simply appreciate how clean and powerful it is when you want to accomplish a screen, feature, or task. Besides the communities, you'll find the Craft team friendly and very qualified with any support issue, and their creation of features and bug fixes comes at a speed you probably haven't experienced before.

• Do you want to extend capabilities? Craft's powers show no more clearly than when you create a for-purpose plugin. All features and user interface aspects Craft itself are open to you, and they are powerful accelerators. Database uses including with your own custom tables are handled with abstraction layers and created automatically. There are a wide variety of plugins available, both free and for sale, to use or to learn from, also with experts to help or build for you as needed.

• How would you use Craft? It's already in commercial spaces like Associated Press, and in recognized web agencies in New York and abroad. It's in the smallest of websites, where the free Personal version lets you use a very surprising majority of features.. The Pro system includes a visibly clean and effective multi-language capability, among its abilities, where you enter translations right with the original information, . Just become available is a powerfully complete Commerce module, and you can use any license level of Craft with this without restriction, on a local development server and entirely for free.

• Craft is secure, at a level attended to from the first by design.

• Craft is straightforward to understand and elegant to use, which makes it a fitting partner to Foundation.

• if you have a background in design of any kind, I think you'll like what you see here.

I am smiling for having written this, but happy to have done so, for all of us who find the appeal in Craft.

You commented on Ben Norman's post almost 5 years

Ok! I noticed on another thread that someone is trying to fix this.

I reinstalled foundation-cli, and this got a new, modified copy of foundation-cli.js, and I think of some other important files.

This still did not work, but failed at a different point: the bundler run.

I experimented to see what bundler command was actually available, and found that bundler.bat was.

I changed line 97 of founmdation-cli.js as follows, to suit:

var bundleInstall = ['bundle.bat'];

Now everything works. I could run foundation-apps new myApp, and then after, go to the myApp folder and successfully run foundation-apps watch, which compiled all.

Have to run, or would put in more detail, but hopefully this gets others going on a Friday evening.

Cheers!

You commented on Ben Norman's post almost 5 years

Here's a post that may help some of us. It did the original questioner on stackoverflow, though it didn't help me.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/27308023/foundationcli-enoent-when-creating-a-new-project

I think it's pretty unconscionable for Zurb to post code they haven't tested on Windows. Not to say silly.

Now I know why so little works on each release, until we troubleshoot and individually spend all the time to make workarounds, or weeks go by.

If they did test, they'd realize that there are differences between stacks available to install, and handle them.

I remain very uncertain whether to get so involved with Zurb, just because of this continuous carelessness.

The question of earlier platforms? At least there, you could keep using the earlier Zurbs, and they seem to have woken up about workarounds for the 'all the kool kids' syndrome in some other cases.

It's not all marketing, boys. You have to have substance, and the jury is still out as far as I can see on your behavior there.

There are things like Susy, compass, and otherwise choosing your own tools.

You commented on Jean-Pol Dupont's post about 5 years

Rafi, I'm afraid this is about clear as mud. I recovered, maybe.

• I checked Compass version. Yes. 1.0.0, though not 1.0.1.
  • I uninstalled to leave 0.12.02. grunt update failed. I removed whole Compass gem etc. and then installed 0.12.02. grunt update failed as ever.
  • I looked around a bit at the fragmentary information, and threw up hands. I saved my scss folder, and then removed the whole foundation installation from the home folder. I removed and installed the Grunt gem etc., just to be sure.
  • I then create a new application folder for Foundation., Why on earth I have to do this, rather than just rebuild foundation from within the original site folder? This is why I keep foundation in its own folder under the real website, and path css & js there. But really...
  • I cp my original app.scss and _settings.scss into the new scss folder of Foundation's.
  • I do a grunt build, and it succeeds. As an afterthought, just to be sure, I check the bower_components/foundation/bower.json. It indeed confirms I did this with Foundation 5.4.
  • I upload the new app.css to the site, and it seems fine, as far as the few things I'm actually using so far on this prototype. Panels, some curvature to corners, and a gradient across the panels. All gets along with my Craft CMS as expected.
  • i do a diff between the original 5.3 and new 5.4 app.css. Right away I see a meta.foundation-version {font-family:"/{{ VERSION }}/";} at the beginning of the css (it's compressed). The original app.css has properly 5.3.3 where the {{ VERSION }} token is here. Say what?
  • I look further into the one-line massive diff, and find different things every hundred characters or so, at least at the beginning. None of these look like the original mistake, so maybe they are the proper differences.

Summary:
a) grunt updating is massively wrong, and I don't think it has anything to do with Compass, as I'm using Grunt and LibSCSS. Right or wrong?
b) blasting all away and reinstalling everything Foundation and Grunt does seem to work,. Still the basic issue that you recreate the real site folder (dangerous of course) unless you hive Foundation into its very own resource area and just recreate that -- again at risk of losing all your setup in the scss folder.
c) please think what this all means if you are a novice, or if English isn't your first language, etc.. Blast and recreate all is at least understandable, if very dangerous because the tools don't directly let you do it without eliminating and recreating your whole original app folder contents.
d) it is true that I was able to update all the previous versions of Foundation 5 in the expected way. I also remember this kind of non-sequitor, not available, doesn't work on previous Foundation releases. Please think about how it can not do this which 5.4 invents again. Is it so hard?
e) I'm a truly old hand. Have done such things as write a complete (and 18 years successful) natural language understanding machine for Bell Laboratories in C++ when it was the new. And great for this if you understood all that was the matter with Prolog. Webbish 'stuff' is a nightmare by comparison, with all the insensible have-to-know-it in opaque machines. I think the clear thinking we could work with then could make so much difference now. You guys too will tire of the endless 'configure this way' exponentiated by (mis-)interacting tools. I hope you've gone through enough gyrations (must Compass, no must whatever-it-was last time, now must Grunt) to settle down and become smooth, with Foundation, and the tools. I'm not asking you to forgo following the better trajectories of web innovation, but to be wise, and choose smoothness, every time. I actually think you'll advance best yourselves this way. I hope to be using the Foundation which results. Thank you.

Yes, they zapped my follow-on comment too. And sent me to a 404 page where you can't get back to the forum.

I also can still not bower update to 5.4.0 successfully.

What are you doing, Zurbians?

I'm experiencing something similar, trying to update to 5.4.0 from 5.3.3 on Windows.

I get slightly different results if i put 5.4 or 5.4.0 in the bower.json file at the top of the tree.

The bower.json in bower_components/foundation is unchanged after I run bower update. However a new file is created there: .bower.json (note the preceding dot), and it does mention 5.4.0

I suspect the Foundation site isn't set up to allow bower to upgrade to 5.4.0 yet. I believe this happened on some releases in the 5.3 zone recently.

Interested in when it will be possible to upgrade, of course.

Posts Followed

Following

• No Content

Followers

• No Content