Menu icon Foundation

My Posts

My Comments

Sam Jones commented on Glenn Ford's post over 5 years

Hey Glenn,

Have you initialised foundation after you include the required libraries?

e.g

<script>
$(document).foundation();
</script>

The above is from Foundation 5 but I can only presume 4 has similar requirements.

Thanks
Sam

Sam Jones commented on Andrew Brown's post almost 6 years

Hi again Andrew,

This is something I'm actively working on at the moment for a personal project of mine the only ways I could think of were either using Sass extend to apply Foundations menu style to WordPress classes or creating a custom walker which you can program to apply the required classes to links and list items.

Personally I'm looking into a custom walker. There is a skeleton theme called Roots which has a nice example of a custom walker.

Hope it helps.
Cheers
Sam

Hi Andrew,

Yeah I understand, I think there will be no perfect solution here as we are both trying to shoe horn a forward thinking framework into a 'for-all' CMS (and thats not a dig at WordPress).

I had a quick read of the article you supplied I understand what is being said BUT to be forward thinking like Foundation you have to break things sometimes. With this being said I understand your pain, I to do a lot of client work and they can be buggars! I always try to use as few external plugins as possible whilst building on WP as I like to know exactly what the code is doing and to prevent things breaking out of my control as such - I have my exceptions though. Each developer has their own way of doing things I guess.

Looking at the jQuery site, they are saying there is no difference in the API between the current 1.10.2 (ironically this is the library included in current WordPress 3.7.1) and 2.0.3 the only difference is the browser support. So working backwards I don't see a reason why Foundation wouldn't work with the current jQuery bundled with WP. Have you found any specific issues? I thought they just updated to 2.x.x to fall in line with the drop of IE8 support that came with Foundation 4?

I haven't played around with Foundation 5 and an older version of jQuery so not sure if there are specific issues.

Cheers
Sam

Hi Andrew,

I guess it depends on the situation.

My reasoning for WordPress advising the use of the shipped jQuery is to provide a level playing field for plugins and themes to work with - this would apply for non-developer types throwing up a theme and plugins to suit their needs - I also don't think WordPress will upgrade the jQuery 2.x.x anytime soon and risk dropping IE8 support they are too big for that.

If you are using Foundation in WordPress development I would take a guess you a building something custom? In which case you know what jQuery functions you will be using for your theme so you can choose to use which ever version of jQuery you need (by using wp_deregister_script, wp_register_script and wp_enqueue_script if you are familiar?).

The only issue with the above is some WordPress plugins may not work as they are expecting and using an older version of jQuery. I think the chances of this happing being quite slim but it is a risk not 100% sure but the main difference between jQuery 1.x.x and 2.x.x is the browser support don't think they changed much else (don't hold me to that though!).

Hope that helps a little?
Cheers
Sam

Posts Followed

No Content

Following

No Content

Followers

My Posts

My Comments

You commented on Glenn Ford's post over 5 years

Hey Glenn,

Have you initialised foundation after you include the required libraries?

e.g

<script>
$(document).foundation();
</script>

The above is from Foundation 5 but I can only presume 4 has similar requirements.

Thanks
Sam

You commented on Andrew Brown's post almost 6 years

Hi again Andrew,

This is something I'm actively working on at the moment for a personal project of mine the only ways I could think of were either using Sass extend to apply Foundations menu style to WordPress classes or creating a custom walker which you can program to apply the required classes to links and list items.

Personally I'm looking into a custom walker. There is a skeleton theme called Roots which has a nice example of a custom walker.

Hope it helps.
Cheers
Sam

Hi Andrew,

Yeah I understand, I think there will be no perfect solution here as we are both trying to shoe horn a forward thinking framework into a 'for-all' CMS (and thats not a dig at WordPress).

I had a quick read of the article you supplied I understand what is being said BUT to be forward thinking like Foundation you have to break things sometimes. With this being said I understand your pain, I to do a lot of client work and they can be buggars! I always try to use as few external plugins as possible whilst building on WP as I like to know exactly what the code is doing and to prevent things breaking out of my control as such - I have my exceptions though. Each developer has their own way of doing things I guess.

Looking at the jQuery site, they are saying there is no difference in the API between the current 1.10.2 (ironically this is the library included in current WordPress 3.7.1) and 2.0.3 the only difference is the browser support. So working backwards I don't see a reason why Foundation wouldn't work with the current jQuery bundled with WP. Have you found any specific issues? I thought they just updated to 2.x.x to fall in line with the drop of IE8 support that came with Foundation 4?

I haven't played around with Foundation 5 and an older version of jQuery so not sure if there are specific issues.

Cheers
Sam

Hi Andrew,

I guess it depends on the situation.

My reasoning for WordPress advising the use of the shipped jQuery is to provide a level playing field for plugins and themes to work with - this would apply for non-developer types throwing up a theme and plugins to suit their needs - I also don't think WordPress will upgrade the jQuery 2.x.x anytime soon and risk dropping IE8 support they are too big for that.

If you are using Foundation in WordPress development I would take a guess you a building something custom? In which case you know what jQuery functions you will be using for your theme so you can choose to use which ever version of jQuery you need (by using wp_deregister_script, wp_register_script and wp_enqueue_script if you are familiar?).

The only issue with the above is some WordPress plugins may not work as they are expecting and using an older version of jQuery. I think the chances of this happing being quite slim but it is a risk not 100% sure but the main difference between jQuery 1.x.x and 2.x.x is the browser support don't think they changed much else (don't hold me to that though!).

Hope that helps a little?
Cheers
Sam

Posts Followed

No Content

Following

• No Content

Followers

• No Content