Menu icon Foundation

Designer | Nashville, TN

I design web applications for a Fortune 500 company in healthcare.

My Posts

No Content

My Comments

Jay Thatcher commented on Jay Thatcher's post over 3 years

Interesting, it works well unless you scroll. I'll see if I can dig deeper.

That seems to have worked. Thanks.

I can post this link for a limited time: http://thatcherdesign.com/temporary/index.html This is where I am so far in styling Foundation 6. Click the icon on either side. I have the same problem on the right and the left. Thanks Vladimir.

Jay Thatcher commented on Feather Light's post almost 4 years

So, we have ideas about a desired result we'd like to achieve, which now requires understanding how to combine 2 or 3 features. That's okay. I'm sure we'll be able to combine them and change them in unexpected ways. But to get familiar with it, I spent significant time unsuccessfully combining the navigation pieces, so I found Brett Mason's CodePen very helpful. Not because I'm lazy or easily offended, but because I struggled with combining the code in the way that works. So I'm grateful Brett was willing to show me how to structure it properly. Now I can improvise and make changes from here. Feather Light asking for help is not being ungrateful or complaining. I think this forum and community is an appropriate place to ask these kind of questions.

Jay Thatcher commented on Nick TC's post almost 4 years

I understand being frustrated when something doesn't work like this, as it takes longer to figure out if it's the framework or something you've got wrong in your code. However, it is very common for the first few weeks of a release to have numerous bugs and updates. Once something gets pushed out to a large number of people, everyone uses it differently and exposes problems not previously discovered. This is not a defense of Zurb per se, it's what you should expect.

Like when Apple releases a new operating system, don't upgrade the first month or first quarter even, especially if your livelihood depends on it. Your printer won't work, Adobe won't have their updates ready and you jeopardize all projects in process. In comparison, Zurb is working hard for you for free without you buying a $2,000 computer or $650 iPhone from them. Foundation 6 will be as solid as 5 in time. Any version of any software with a #.0 will have issues at first.

I do understand your frustration (Nick, Pawel, Raul). Hang in there. I used to get mad at Apple with every major OS release, but realized I needed to adjust my expectations and lag behind early adopters for my own good. Use Foundation 5. It is very stable. Join the F6 party in a month after you've tested the key features you know you need.

Jay Thatcher commented on Jay Thatcher's post almost 4 years

Yes, a video walk-through of Yeti features would be awesome. A quick overview of the Zurb template folder structure would be a plus, to answer questions like, "Why are there 3 folders named 'scss' plus one named 'sass'?" …and a get familiar with Panini video? Am I getting too greedy? I'm very excited about Foundation 6, but have been frustrated about my knowledge gap. I took a class on the SASS language so I get what CSS it will create, but I have this gap of not understanding how Yeti, Panini, and my text editor start harmoniously kicking but*.

Jay Thatcher commented on Jason Porter's post almost 5 years

Talked with Zurb. They recommended we comment out this line in the foundation.tab.js:
tab_link.attr({"aria-selected": "true", tabindex: 0})

We had a little trouble finding this in the foundation.min.js being used on our Dev site, so here's what we did instead. We did a find/replace looking for tabindex and replacing it with tabindexly. It will replace it in 6 places. We just added the "ly" so we'd know what it relates to, but it not overwrite the accessibility tag, "tabindex." We have this working on our Dev server now.

Reply back if either work for you.

Hope this helps.
—Jay

Jay Thatcher commented on Jason Porter's post almost 5 years

Our team is experiencing the same problem. Tabindex loads correctly for the first form in the first tab. If we click to another tab, then the tabindex for that form all say "0". When we click back to the first tab, the tabindex that worked previously, no longer works. When different tabs are triggered it seems to overwrite the tabindex information. Please advise if there is a solution. I see that "tabindex" is used in the foundation.tab.js. It seems to be what is overriding the tabindex for our forms. Ideas for a work-around? Please advise.

Jay Thatcher commented on Jay Thatcher's post about 5 years

@Charlie I actually had to go find it again on another project. With latest Foundation 5 download. It's on line 1229 & 1529. Or search for these areas:

meta.foundation-mq-topbar {
font-family: "/only screen and (min-width:48em)/";
width: 58.75em; }

.js-generated {
display: block; }

@media only screen and (min-width: 48em) {
.top-bar {
background: #333333;
overflow: visible; }

(I changed these to 48em above)

Jay Thatcher commented on Jay Thatcher's post over 5 years

I figured out the 2 places to adjust it in the CSS. Thanks.

Posts Followed

No Content

Following

No Content

Followers

My Posts

No Content

My Comments

You commented on Jay Thatcher's post over 3 years

Interesting, it works well unless you scroll. I'll see if I can dig deeper.

That seems to have worked. Thanks.

I can post this link for a limited time: http://thatcherdesign.com/temporary/index.html This is where I am so far in styling Foundation 6. Click the icon on either side. I have the same problem on the right and the left. Thanks Vladimir.

You commented on Feather Light's post almost 4 years

So, we have ideas about a desired result we'd like to achieve, which now requires understanding how to combine 2 or 3 features. That's okay. I'm sure we'll be able to combine them and change them in unexpected ways. But to get familiar with it, I spent significant time unsuccessfully combining the navigation pieces, so I found Brett Mason's CodePen very helpful. Not because I'm lazy or easily offended, but because I struggled with combining the code in the way that works. So I'm grateful Brett was willing to show me how to structure it properly. Now I can improvise and make changes from here. Feather Light asking for help is not being ungrateful or complaining. I think this forum and community is an appropriate place to ask these kind of questions.

You commented on Nick TC's post almost 4 years

I understand being frustrated when something doesn't work like this, as it takes longer to figure out if it's the framework or something you've got wrong in your code. However, it is very common for the first few weeks of a release to have numerous bugs and updates. Once something gets pushed out to a large number of people, everyone uses it differently and exposes problems not previously discovered. This is not a defense of Zurb per se, it's what you should expect.

Like when Apple releases a new operating system, don't upgrade the first month or first quarter even, especially if your livelihood depends on it. Your printer won't work, Adobe won't have their updates ready and you jeopardize all projects in process. In comparison, Zurb is working hard for you for free without you buying a $2,000 computer or $650 iPhone from them. Foundation 6 will be as solid as 5 in time. Any version of any software with a #.0 will have issues at first.

I do understand your frustration (Nick, Pawel, Raul). Hang in there. I used to get mad at Apple with every major OS release, but realized I needed to adjust my expectations and lag behind early adopters for my own good. Use Foundation 5. It is very stable. Join the F6 party in a month after you've tested the key features you know you need.

You commented on Jay Thatcher's post almost 4 years

Yes, a video walk-through of Yeti features would be awesome. A quick overview of the Zurb template folder structure would be a plus, to answer questions like, "Why are there 3 folders named 'scss' plus one named 'sass'?" …and a get familiar with Panini video? Am I getting too greedy? I'm very excited about Foundation 6, but have been frustrated about my knowledge gap. I took a class on the SASS language so I get what CSS it will create, but I have this gap of not understanding how Yeti, Panini, and my text editor start harmoniously kicking but*.

You commented on Jason Porter's post almost 5 years

Talked with Zurb. They recommended we comment out this line in the foundation.tab.js:
tab_link.attr({"aria-selected": "true", tabindex: 0})

We had a little trouble finding this in the foundation.min.js being used on our Dev site, so here's what we did instead. We did a find/replace looking for tabindex and replacing it with tabindexly. It will replace it in 6 places. We just added the "ly" so we'd know what it relates to, but it not overwrite the accessibility tag, "tabindex." We have this working on our Dev server now.

Reply back if either work for you.

Hope this helps.
—Jay

You commented on Jason Porter's post almost 5 years

Our team is experiencing the same problem. Tabindex loads correctly for the first form in the first tab. If we click to another tab, then the tabindex for that form all say "0". When we click back to the first tab, the tabindex that worked previously, no longer works. When different tabs are triggered it seems to overwrite the tabindex information. Please advise if there is a solution. I see that "tabindex" is used in the foundation.tab.js. It seems to be what is overriding the tabindex for our forms. Ideas for a work-around? Please advise.

You commented on Jay Thatcher's post about 5 years

@Charlie I actually had to go find it again on another project. With latest Foundation 5 download. It's on line 1229 & 1529. Or search for these areas:

meta.foundation-mq-topbar {
font-family: "/only screen and (min-width:48em)/";
width: 58.75em; }

.js-generated {
display: block; }

@media only screen and (min-width: 48em) {
.top-bar {
background: #333333;
overflow: visible; }

(I changed these to 48em above)

You commented on Jay Thatcher's post over 5 years

I figured out the 2 places to adjust it in the CSS. Thanks.

Posts Followed

No Content

Following

• No Content

Followers

• No Content