Menu icon Foundation

Designer | Melbourne, Australia

I'm a bit of everything but I enjoy information and the ability to share and collaborate. Love art and design. Love code as it's also art. Giving glory to God for life and all within.

My Posts

• NEW
  • Reveal removing body scroll on close (F6)

By Murray Chapman

reveal

Hey all. Note sure if this is a bug but    <div class="reveal" id="author-contact-form" data-reveal data-close-on-click="true" data-animation-in="fade" data-animation-out="fade"> <h2>Send Brad an email</h2> <p cla... (continued)

Replies
  • Non 'Off Canvas' responsive menu

By Murray Chapman

menu

Hey all I have a client who sadly does not like the off-canvas menu that ships with Foundation 6. They are looking for a 'standard' one that has a hamburber and slides down under the top bar. Does anyone have a suggestion as to one that works well with F... (continued)

Last Reply by Murray Chapman about 2 years ago

My Comments

Murray Chapman commented on Peter's post over 1 year

I'm on board. jQuery was good when JavaScript was over the top and a bit hard to use. Now with the ECMA standards, it's tighter and better across the board. Besides jQuery loading after the page load and also being another script to load, Vanilla JS just makes sense.
As for Foundation 6, it is awesome and I appreciate what Zurb has done.
Peace all!

Murray Chapman commented on Murray Chapman's post about 2 years

Thanks for the insight Rafi. Now I have a direction to had in. Much appreciation.

Murray Chapman commented on Jennifer Lin's post about 2 years

This can be taken a few different ways. Can you provide a bit more information.
eg. Post some code.
That way you will get specific advise.
Cheers
Murray

Hi Roy.
Very interesting and thanks for the feedback. To be honest, I was hoping that it was something that I had done and that it was not a bug with Foundation. I'm starting to think that it had to be something that I have done even thought it is nothing obvious. For some reason, the text field was going full width and pushing out the button. 
Time for some more digging but really appreciate an outside perspective.
Cheers and props.
Murray

Murray Chapman commented on Ben Siegfried's post about 2 years

It may be worth emailing them directly. I have emailed Rafi ([email protected]) a few times when things weren't clear in the documentation and he is pretty good at clarifying or flagging issues as possible bugs.

I unminified your HTML and I think I may have discovered something.
The stylesheet is in the header of the document. You are defining styles 'in-header' and then there are styles that are defined right throughout the document 'in-line'.
From what I can make out, the in-line styles are overwriting and ignoring your header styles. By adding the !important to the styles in the header of your document, It is pretty much telling the inline styles to not overwrite it.
You probably already know about the idea of Cascading Style Sheets. Preferred is Linked stylesheet which is then overwritten by in document (or in-header) and then finally overwritten by in-line (inside the tag structure).
By using important, you are telling the CSS at a later stage of cascading to not overwrite what you have previously defined.
In short you may just need to stick with the !important.
GRRR.
Oh, the email looks great by the way.

Hi
May seem trivial but try removing the space between max-width and the #breakpoint.
@media only screen and (max-width:#{$global-breakpoint}) {
margin-top:10px;
}
If have found that sometimes having that space there (which I like to add for readability) causes the media query to not work.
Having said that, it may be something else but if you remove the space and the problem persists, that is one less thing to have to check.
Cheers

Any takers? Could really use some insight here other than using a row class and two columns for the form parts. Bootstrap can do it pretty easily. I may need to go over and see how they did it and port it over.

Murray Chapman commented on Elisandro Martinez's post about 2 years

Oh. I forgot to say that the link provided looks nice. Did I miss something as the site has Bootstrap class calls instead of Foundation or was that a 'like' example? Is that Bootstrap Blocks?

Murray Chapman commented on Elisandro Martinez's post about 2 years

Hi Elisandro
Please don't think I am saying to abandon your design. Sadly a lot of people I see settle for less just to get something out of the box and yes it does end up looking generic. To me, web design and code is and art form so if you can be unique and original, go for it. What I am saying is that if done correctly, you could make a store have the exact same look and feel that have created. It would take a bit of tweaking but the great thing with html, css and templates are that most decent ecommerce solutions out there allow you to over-ride the default user interface and replace it with your own code or CSS. Much like Wordpress comes with themes that you can use as a starting point and then add your own CSS and templates to change the look while still retaining the functionality. 
Re: Paypal. I suggest this if you only had a few products. IF you have a decent amount which you do, it may not work but you never know. If it does look viable, you could always email them and see if you can get some direct advice about e-comm integration.
I look forward to seeing what you create.
Cheers.

Posts Followed

Replies
  • Shopping Cart

By Elisandro Martinez

shopping cart

I am developing a website and using Foundation's CSS elements.  In the short to mid-term I will need to turn the site into an e-commerce site.  My site is 100% custom built from the ground up using HTML5, CSS3, and JavaScript.  I want to ke... (continued)

Last Reply by Murray Chapman about 2 years ago

Following

No Content

Followers

My Posts

My Comments

You commented on Peter's post over 1 year

I'm on board. jQuery was good when JavaScript was over the top and a bit hard to use. Now with the ECMA standards, it's tighter and better across the board. Besides jQuery loading after the page load and also being another script to load, Vanilla JS just makes sense.
As for Foundation 6, it is awesome and I appreciate what Zurb has done.
Peace all!

You commented on Murray Chapman's post about 2 years

Thanks for the insight Rafi. Now I have a direction to had in. Much appreciation.

You commented on Jennifer Lin's post about 2 years

This can be taken a few different ways. Can you provide a bit more information.
eg. Post some code.
That way you will get specific advise.
Cheers
Murray

Hi Roy.
Very interesting and thanks for the feedback. To be honest, I was hoping that it was something that I had done and that it was not a bug with Foundation. I'm starting to think that it had to be something that I have done even thought it is nothing obvious. For some reason, the text field was going full width and pushing out the button. 
Time for some more digging but really appreciate an outside perspective.
Cheers and props.
Murray

You commented on Ben Siegfried's post about 2 years

It may be worth emailing them directly. I have emailed Rafi ([email protected]) a few times when things weren't clear in the documentation and he is pretty good at clarifying or flagging issues as possible bugs.

I unminified your HTML and I think I may have discovered something.
The stylesheet is in the header of the document. You are defining styles 'in-header' and then there are styles that are defined right throughout the document 'in-line'.
From what I can make out, the in-line styles are overwriting and ignoring your header styles. By adding the !important to the styles in the header of your document, It is pretty much telling the inline styles to not overwrite it.
You probably already know about the idea of Cascading Style Sheets. Preferred is Linked stylesheet which is then overwritten by in document (or in-header) and then finally overwritten by in-line (inside the tag structure).
By using important, you are telling the CSS at a later stage of cascading to not overwrite what you have previously defined.
In short you may just need to stick with the !important.
GRRR.
Oh, the email looks great by the way.

Hi
May seem trivial but try removing the space between max-width and the #breakpoint.
@media only screen and (max-width:#{$global-breakpoint}) {
margin-top:10px;
}
If have found that sometimes having that space there (which I like to add for readability) causes the media query to not work.
Having said that, it may be something else but if you remove the space and the problem persists, that is one less thing to have to check.
Cheers

Any takers? Could really use some insight here other than using a row class and two columns for the form parts. Bootstrap can do it pretty easily. I may need to go over and see how they did it and port it over.

You commented on Elisandro Martinez's post about 2 years

Oh. I forgot to say that the link provided looks nice. Did I miss something as the site has Bootstrap class calls instead of Foundation or was that a 'like' example? Is that Bootstrap Blocks?

You commented on Elisandro Martinez's post about 2 years

Hi Elisandro
Please don't think I am saying to abandon your design. Sadly a lot of people I see settle for less just to get something out of the box and yes it does end up looking generic. To me, web design and code is and art form so if you can be unique and original, go for it. What I am saying is that if done correctly, you could make a store have the exact same look and feel that have created. It would take a bit of tweaking but the great thing with html, css and templates are that most decent ecommerce solutions out there allow you to over-ride the default user interface and replace it with your own code or CSS. Much like Wordpress comes with themes that you can use as a starting point and then add your own CSS and templates to change the look while still retaining the functionality. 
Re: Paypal. I suggest this if you only had a few products. IF you have a decent amount which you do, it may not work but you never know. If it does look viable, you could always email them and see if you can get some direct advice about e-comm integration.
I look forward to seeing what you create.
Cheers.

Posts Followed

Following

• No Content

Followers

• No Content