Menu icon Foundation

My Posts

Replies
  • Help with source ordering

By Chris M

source ordering

Hey guys! I'm creating a website, and need to use source ordering. I've somehow never used it before, thought it would be simple but am having trouble getting my head around the concept, even though I've tried to make everything mobile first. It's i... (continued)

Last Reply by Chris M about 5 years ago

Replies
  • My Orbit slider is broken

By Chris M

Orbitwordpress

Hi! I posted about this last night, and was receiving some useful help from Wing-Hou Chan, but I've just realised my post seems to have disappeared. I am making a site with Wordpress (specifically the Nouveau framework, as that gives full access to Fo... (continued)

Last Reply by rinki misra over 1 year ago

My Comments

Chris M commented on Christian Magill's post about 3 years

Hey Christian,
Did you ever get anywhere with this? I'm having to do the same thing, and it'd save me some time if there's a solution out there! If not I'll work it out and post when I get it to work :)

Chris M commented on Ole Fredrik Lie's post over 3 years

Will use this on a project later today, thanks so much for your hard work on this!

Chris M commented on Hugh Js's post over 3 years

Michael C. - Creating custom post types CAN be done by a plugin (if you need a GUI), but that isn't necessary, only an option - it can easily be done by code as well (see https://codex.wordpress.org/Post_Types for details). It's really quick and easy to add new post types with no plugins!

add_action( 'init', 'create_post_type' );
function create_post_type() {
  register_post_type( 'acme_product',
    array(
      'labels' => array(
        'name' => __( 'Products' ),
        'singular_name' => __( 'Product' )
      ),
      'public' => true,
      'has_archive' => true,
    )
  );
}

And here are some examples of sites using Wordpress as their CMS of choice: http://www.wpbeginner.com/showcase/25-examples-of-wordpress-being-used-as-a-cms/

The list includes the BBC, Creative Ad Awards, Harvard University Gazette, Sony Music and time.com. If you know what you're doing, Wordpress is a fantastic and powerful CMS! Of course that's not to take away from the other fantastic options out there, I'm sure there are great benefits to other systems as well.

Eneas Marín - if you wanted to use Wordpress with ecommerce functionality, Woocommerce is free and works well. It can be a pain to modify the design (especially at first) but is fully customizable with a little work. If you want to take payments with more than Paypal (like Paymentsense etc) then it's not too costly to add this in, and easy to do so. I've built a lot of ecommerce sites in this way and it works well. Would be interested in other recommendations though!

Absolutely recommend Wordpress - if you know what you're doing (and the learning curve isn't THAT steep), it's a fantastically easy to use and powerful CMS. I know people have said you have to "hack it" to use it as a CMS, but that's not really true in my opinion - it is true that a few plugins that I use on every project (such as Advanced Custom Fields) would be better as core functionality, but it takes literally 10 seconds to get that installed and set up.

Wordpress is insanely popular for a reason - it's very powerful, easy to use, produces lightweight sites (as long as you know what you're doing) that are very easy for your users to completely modify, you can develop quickly and cleanly, aren't beholden to any design limitations, and it works great with Foundation (personally I use FoundationPress).

Chris M commented on Bryan Zmijewski's post almost 4 years

I am so psyched for this!

Chris M commented on Khalid Alghamdi's post over 4 years

Hey Khalid, I'm a little confused as to what you mean. What specifically do you want to get rid of, the whole boxed section at the left? Or the border around the box section?

Chris M commented on Rachel Vasquez's post over 4 years

Sure Rachel, post an example and maybe we can sort something out!

Unless anyone knows why the partials might be causing a lag...

Chris M commented on Rachel Vasquez's post over 4 years

Hey Rachel,

How much information is being loaded in each partial? If it's just a small amount then it might work out better to just load and hide each one with visibility classes, rather than loading in the interchange plugin and dealing with the delay (I'm on mobile so can't remember how big the interchange js file is).

Otherwise maybe see how much the partials can be simplified to get the lag down.

Do you have anything online so we can see the content of what's being loaded?

Chris M commented on Ian Daly's post over 4 years

Hey Ian! I've not used a reveal modal with WP menu myself, but shouldn't be too hard. You probably need to set up or customise a menu walker, I know foundationPress has a custom walker but only for off canvas and top-bar.

That link you posted looks promising actually, I'm on mobile and don't have time right now but that looks promising.

Another, admittedly hacky but quick and easy way to do it if it's just a prototype, would be to add the data attributes etc with jquery.

Posts Followed

Following

No Content

Followers

My Posts

My Comments

You commented on Christian Magill's post about 3 years

Hey Christian,
Did you ever get anywhere with this? I'm having to do the same thing, and it'd save me some time if there's a solution out there! If not I'll work it out and post when I get it to work :)

You commented on Ole Fredrik Lie's post over 3 years

Will use this on a project later today, thanks so much for your hard work on this!

You commented on Hugh Js's post over 3 years

Michael C. - Creating custom post types CAN be done by a plugin (if you need a GUI), but that isn't necessary, only an option - it can easily be done by code as well (see https://codex.wordpress.org/Post_Types for details). It's really quick and easy to add new post types with no plugins!

add_action( 'init', 'create_post_type' );
function create_post_type() {
  register_post_type( 'acme_product',
    array(
      'labels' => array(
        'name' => __( 'Products' ),
        'singular_name' => __( 'Product' )
      ),
      'public' => true,
      'has_archive' => true,
    )
  );
}

And here are some examples of sites using Wordpress as their CMS of choice: http://www.wpbeginner.com/showcase/25-examples-of-wordpress-being-used-as-a-cms/

The list includes the BBC, Creative Ad Awards, Harvard University Gazette, Sony Music and time.com. If you know what you're doing, Wordpress is a fantastic and powerful CMS! Of course that's not to take away from the other fantastic options out there, I'm sure there are great benefits to other systems as well.

Eneas Marín - if you wanted to use Wordpress with ecommerce functionality, Woocommerce is free and works well. It can be a pain to modify the design (especially at first) but is fully customizable with a little work. If you want to take payments with more than Paypal (like Paymentsense etc) then it's not too costly to add this in, and easy to do so. I've built a lot of ecommerce sites in this way and it works well. Would be interested in other recommendations though!

Absolutely recommend Wordpress - if you know what you're doing (and the learning curve isn't THAT steep), it's a fantastically easy to use and powerful CMS. I know people have said you have to "hack it" to use it as a CMS, but that's not really true in my opinion - it is true that a few plugins that I use on every project (such as Advanced Custom Fields) would be better as core functionality, but it takes literally 10 seconds to get that installed and set up.

Wordpress is insanely popular for a reason - it's very powerful, easy to use, produces lightweight sites (as long as you know what you're doing) that are very easy for your users to completely modify, you can develop quickly and cleanly, aren't beholden to any design limitations, and it works great with Foundation (personally I use FoundationPress).

You commented on Bryan Zmijewski's post almost 4 years

I am so psyched for this!

You commented on Khalid Alghamdi's post over 4 years

Hey Khalid, I'm a little confused as to what you mean. What specifically do you want to get rid of, the whole boxed section at the left? Or the border around the box section?

You commented on Rachel Vasquez's post over 4 years

Sure Rachel, post an example and maybe we can sort something out!

Unless anyone knows why the partials might be causing a lag...

You commented on Rachel Vasquez's post over 4 years

Hey Rachel,

How much information is being loaded in each partial? If it's just a small amount then it might work out better to just load and hide each one with visibility classes, rather than loading in the interchange plugin and dealing with the delay (I'm on mobile so can't remember how big the interchange js file is).

Otherwise maybe see how much the partials can be simplified to get the lag down.

Do you have anything online so we can see the content of what's being loaded?

You commented on Ian Daly's post over 4 years

Hey Ian! I've not used a reveal modal with WP menu myself, but shouldn't be too hard. You probably need to set up or customise a menu walker, I know foundationPress has a custom walker but only for off canvas and top-bar.

That link you posted looks promising actually, I'm on mobile and don't have time right now but that looks promising.

Another, admittedly hacky but quick and easy way to do it if it's just a prototype, would be to add the data attributes etc with jquery.

Posts Followed

Following

• No Content

Followers