Menu icon Foundation

Designer | New York

Former CFO and current principal of Level 1 Resources. Politics and economics junkie, NFL fan, avid reader, gym rat and amateur web designer.

My Posts

No Content

My Comments

Tom Hogan commented on Rafi Benkual's post over 5 years

Great feature! Just used twice! Hope it works.

Tom Hogan commented on Tom Hogan's post over 5 years

Steve,

Thanks for the effort.

It is frustrating! I just can't figure out why the "foundation new" command isn't being recognized. As you state, I navigate to where I want the files to be copied, run the command, then get the "Foundation command is not recognized as an internal or external command..." error. It really shouldn't matter where I run the command from unless Foundation cli needs to be pointed in some way. Again, I'm a Windows user so commands like bash and sudo don't apply.

I placed the gruntfile.js and package.json files in the directory where I run the command from because I thought they were needed to add additional tools to the project like uglify, watch, etc.

My guess is that it's something simple so I'll keep plugging away. I didn't come this far to accept defeat.

Here's my gruntfile.js and package.json code which I copied right from Foundation figuring if it works for them, it'll work for me. :) For now, I'll just delete them. No need to complicate my problem.

Tom Hogan commented on Luis's post over 5 years

I also looked at the page in IE11 as well as Chrome 34, Firefox 28 and Opera 13 and it looks good on all of them.

Tom Hogan commented on Allan Kendall's post over 5 years

You need to create the directory before you begin and navigate there to install Bower. Sorry, I thought you created it when you tried running the sudo command.

Create the following:

c:\bower\app

Navigate to c:\bower and type "npm install -g bower"

Allan,

Glad it was helpful... I forgot to mention that when you change the path, close the DOS window and reopen it before seeing if it works.

SInce you're using Windows, sudo won't work. it's not a recognized command. Use Node Package Manager (npm) to install Bower. Use the “-g” (global) switch you can install Bower from any directory.

Go to your Bower directory and type "npm install -g bower" Remember that npm statements are case sensitive.

Next you need to test Bower installed

Underneath your Bower directory you'll see a subdirectly called app. Since you will want to install the dependencies in the “app” direction, navigate to the “app” directory” Type "cd app".

Do a Bower search for jQuery. Remember, it is case sensitive. Type "bower search jQuery"

You'll should see a bunch of libraries scroll across your screen... it's all good. it means Bower installed properly.

Next you'll need to install Git and jQuery :)

let me know it worked.

Hi Allan,

I just installed nodejs yesterday and ran into a similar problem and this is what solved it for me.

nodejs creates a package manager called npm. this package manager can be found in your c:\users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\npm folder. In order for commands using the package manager to execute it must appear in your Windows environment path.

If you go to Start and type "path" in the search box you'll see "edit environment variables for your account"
click on it and your environment variables window will open. The top portion of the box will say "User variables for YourName". In the window will be a path statement and the full path to you npm folder should be there. if it's not, add it.

Next, look below under "System Variables" and see if the path to your npm folder is there. If not, add it to the beginning of your path statement. Be sure to separate the path you add from other paths with a ";" so path=C:\path\to\npm;C:\netx\path;

When I installed nodejs it included the path to my user variable window but when I added it again to the system variable window everything worked as advertised.

Let me know it this helps

Tom Hogan commented on Tom Hogan's post over 5 years

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your link.

I created a folder called DevTools and underneath I installed the following: Bower, Foundation, Git, Grunt, Nodejs, and Ruby193. In addition I have a folder for npm at \users\Me\AppData\Roaming\npm

I use a program called WampDeveloper that is similar to xamp that provides an Apache server, php, MySQL, etc. I'm trying to install foundation 5 and Libsass in ..\WampDeveloper\websites\MyFirstSassProject\webroot. Inside \webroot I placed 2 files package.json and gruntfile.js that I found on github\foundation.

When I type "foundation new MyFirstSassProject --libsass", I get the error described above. I know that the command "foundation" isn't being recognized but why? is my foundation cli in the wrong directory? or do I need an environment path statement to a specific file within \Devtools\foundation? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

Tom Hogan commented on Joe Price's post over 5 years

I think it would be a shame to mimic bootstrap themes and I agree with Karl that it's more rewarding creating dedicated styles for Foundation rather than reworking existing Bootstrap themes.

On a more expansive note, one of the things I would like to see is a more robust collection of resources and plugins for Foundation in general.

One of the real strengths of Bootstrap, in addition to the wide availability of themes, is the wide range of JavaScript extensions, UI improvements, forms, code snippets, etc. provided by members of the Bootstrap community. Most of these resources are free and readily available from sites like github.

Simply Google "bootstrap addons" and you'll see what I mean. Unfortunately, Foundation does not enjoy the same level of community contributions at least that I'm aware of. I believe this disparity helps explain some (but certainly no all) of the tremendous growth of sites using Bootstrap. http://blog.meanpath.com/4-7m-sites-using-bootstrap-vs-334k-on-foundation/

It would be nice to see an equivalent of http://bootsnipp.com for Foundation. This isn't meant to take anything away from the people at Zurb or the members of the Foundation community who provide a great deal of user support and know-how to people like me. It would just be nice to see us take the next step.

Tom Hogan commented on Peter's post over 5 years

I hope you didn't purchase Foundation. It's free from the good folks at Zurb.

Tom Hogan commented on Ljanmi's post over 5 years

I can't see any problem either using version 34.0.1847.116 b. I've been to that page many times with earlier versions of Chrome and never experienced a problem.

Posts Followed

No Content

Following

No Content

Followers

My Posts

No Content

My Comments

You commented on Rafi Benkual's post over 5 years

Great feature! Just used twice! Hope it works.

You commented on Tom Hogan's post over 5 years

Steve,

Thanks for the effort.

It is frustrating! I just can't figure out why the "foundation new" command isn't being recognized. As you state, I navigate to where I want the files to be copied, run the command, then get the "Foundation command is not recognized as an internal or external command..." error. It really shouldn't matter where I run the command from unless Foundation cli needs to be pointed in some way. Again, I'm a Windows user so commands like bash and sudo don't apply.

I placed the gruntfile.js and package.json files in the directory where I run the command from because I thought they were needed to add additional tools to the project like uglify, watch, etc.

My guess is that it's something simple so I'll keep plugging away. I didn't come this far to accept defeat.

Here's my gruntfile.js and package.json code which I copied right from Foundation figuring if it works for them, it'll work for me. :) For now, I'll just delete them. No need to complicate my problem.

You commented on Luis's post over 5 years

I also looked at the page in IE11 as well as Chrome 34, Firefox 28 and Opera 13 and it looks good on all of them.

You commented on Allan Kendall's post over 5 years

You need to create the directory before you begin and navigate there to install Bower. Sorry, I thought you created it when you tried running the sudo command.

Create the following:

c:\bower\app

Navigate to c:\bower and type "npm install -g bower"

Allan,

Glad it was helpful... I forgot to mention that when you change the path, close the DOS window and reopen it before seeing if it works.

SInce you're using Windows, sudo won't work. it's not a recognized command. Use Node Package Manager (npm) to install Bower. Use the “-g” (global) switch you can install Bower from any directory.

Go to your Bower directory and type "npm install -g bower" Remember that npm statements are case sensitive.

Next you need to test Bower installed

Underneath your Bower directory you'll see a subdirectly called app. Since you will want to install the dependencies in the “app” direction, navigate to the “app” directory” Type "cd app".

Do a Bower search for jQuery. Remember, it is case sensitive. Type "bower search jQuery"

You'll should see a bunch of libraries scroll across your screen... it's all good. it means Bower installed properly.

Next you'll need to install Git and jQuery :)

let me know it worked.

Hi Allan,

I just installed nodejs yesterday and ran into a similar problem and this is what solved it for me.

nodejs creates a package manager called npm. this package manager can be found in your c:\users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\npm folder. In order for commands using the package manager to execute it must appear in your Windows environment path.

If you go to Start and type "path" in the search box you'll see "edit environment variables for your account"
click on it and your environment variables window will open. The top portion of the box will say "User variables for YourName". In the window will be a path statement and the full path to you npm folder should be there. if it's not, add it.

Next, look below under "System Variables" and see if the path to your npm folder is there. If not, add it to the beginning of your path statement. Be sure to separate the path you add from other paths with a ";" so path=C:\path\to\npm;C:\netx\path;

When I installed nodejs it included the path to my user variable window but when I added it again to the system variable window everything worked as advertised.

Let me know it this helps

You commented on Tom Hogan's post over 5 years

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your link.

I created a folder called DevTools and underneath I installed the following: Bower, Foundation, Git, Grunt, Nodejs, and Ruby193. In addition I have a folder for npm at \users\Me\AppData\Roaming\npm

I use a program called WampDeveloper that is similar to xamp that provides an Apache server, php, MySQL, etc. I'm trying to install foundation 5 and Libsass in ..\WampDeveloper\websites\MyFirstSassProject\webroot. Inside \webroot I placed 2 files package.json and gruntfile.js that I found on github\foundation.

When I type "foundation new MyFirstSassProject --libsass", I get the error described above. I know that the command "foundation" isn't being recognized but why? is my foundation cli in the wrong directory? or do I need an environment path statement to a specific file within \Devtools\foundation? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

You commented on Joe Price's post over 5 years

I think it would be a shame to mimic bootstrap themes and I agree with Karl that it's more rewarding creating dedicated styles for Foundation rather than reworking existing Bootstrap themes.

On a more expansive note, one of the things I would like to see is a more robust collection of resources and plugins for Foundation in general.

One of the real strengths of Bootstrap, in addition to the wide availability of themes, is the wide range of JavaScript extensions, UI improvements, forms, code snippets, etc. provided by members of the Bootstrap community. Most of these resources are free and readily available from sites like github.

Simply Google "bootstrap addons" and you'll see what I mean. Unfortunately, Foundation does not enjoy the same level of community contributions at least that I'm aware of. I believe this disparity helps explain some (but certainly no all) of the tremendous growth of sites using Bootstrap. http://blog.meanpath.com/4-7m-sites-using-bootstrap-vs-334k-on-foundation/

It would be nice to see an equivalent of http://bootsnipp.com for Foundation. This isn't meant to take anything away from the people at Zurb or the members of the Foundation community who provide a great deal of user support and know-how to people like me. It would just be nice to see us take the next step.

You commented on Peter's post over 5 years

I hope you didn't purchase Foundation. It's free from the good folks at Zurb.

You commented on Ljanmi's post over 5 years

I can't see any problem either using version 34.0.1847.116 b. I've been to that page many times with earlier versions of Chrome and never experienced a problem.

Posts Followed

No Content

Following

• No Content

Followers

• No Content