Menu icon Foundation

Designer | New York

Former CFO and current principal of Level 1 Resources. Politics and economics junkie, NFL fan, avid reader, gym rat and amateur web designer.

My Posts

No Content

My Comments

Tom Hogan commented on Wing-Hou Chan's post over 5 years

I'd like to second Samuel's suggestions. A spam flag inside the comments section would be a great addition at this point. Also, open source forum software is a fantastic idea.

Tom Hogan commented on Rafi Benkual's post over 5 years

Image sliders tend to be the darling of web designers and marketers as a source of great eye candy that can make a webpage pop. Unfortunately, most studies dating from at least the mid-to-late 90's have consistently shown that they're not very effective and that users rarely get past the first image before their eyes glaze over and they ignore the information presented to them on subsequent slides.

The reasons why they tend to be ineffective are numerous such as:

1) The information presented isn't relevant
2) Content scrolls by too quickly
3) People have short attention spans
4) Many simply find them annoying
5) accessibility issues for people with limited motor skills

The best advice seems to be to focus your user on one main message and keep it stationary.

Finding articles on the pitfalls of image rotators are easy enough to find but here are two to get you started.

http://bit.ly/1mCzbf1
http://bit.ly/1qecMug

Tom Hogan commented on Ivan Torres's post over 5 years

Rafi,

You're a genius! I've had that app on my phone for 10 months now and could never figure out anything useful to do with it.

FInally, a use! Now I don't have to delete it.

Tom Hogan commented on Allan Kendall's post over 5 years

Glad you found it helpful Allan.

I'm just beginning to learn SASS so I have no experience with either grunt or Koala. I have figured out that I'll need to spend some time learning grunt as it appears that there are a number of plugins that will make life a bit easier.

Maybe I'll create a "Grunt for noobs" post that will help pave the way for others new to the program.

Cheers!

Tom

Tom Hogan commented on Tom Hogan's post over 5 years

All,

After spending some time getting Grunt and Libsass along with Ruby, Bower, Git, NodeJS, etc. up and running on Windows, I created a step-by-step How-To that some may find helpful.

http://foundation.zurb.com/forum/posts/11597-how-to-install-grunt-and-libsass-on-windows

Tom

All,

After spending some time getting Grunt and Libsass along with Ruby, Bower, Git, NodeJS, etc. up and running on Windows, I created a step-by-step How-To that some may find helpful.

http://foundation.zurb.com/forum/posts/11597-how-to-install-grunt-and-libsass-on-windows

Tom

Tom Hogan commented on Gerard Baste's post over 5 years

Not quite sure what you mean by "full screen". Foundation is fully responsive so it looks great on small, medium and large devices. You're able to use media queries and visibility classes to get the right look and content for any size screen.

As for having a "fixed" or sticky header and footer, I don't see why not.

Tom Hogan commented on Bjorn Blomqvist's post over 5 years

Tom

Not sure what you mean by "...made my new Foundation 5 project from the ruby command line..." or that you have SASS files and CSS in two different directories.

I'm a bit lost as to where you are in the process but Ok.

Zurb uses bower to manage the updating process of Foundation. After installing all the dependencies you need to run "npm install -g bower grunt-cli" from the command prompt (no quotes).

Then you should install the Foundation cli by running "gem install foundation" from the command prompt (again no quotes).

After the above is created, you'll use Grunt and Libsass to compile your SASS stylesheets.

First, create a New Project. Then navigate into the directory where you want all the files to be created. cd\path\to\MyNewProjectRoot

Next you'll use the Foundation cli that you just installed to create all your new project files in your New Project root directory.

Type without quotes: "foundation new project_name --libsass" and see the magic happen.

In your New Project root, you should see a bunch of newly created files such as: .bowerrc, gitignore, bower.json, package.json, index.html, etc. There will also be a bunch of subdirectories created such as .git, bower_components, css, js, node_modules and scss.

If you see all that CONGRATULATIONS! You're ALMOST there.

Next, you need to use Grunt to compile everything before you start working:

From you NewProject root directory type: "grunt build"

To compile changes as you work type: "grunt watch"

To update Foundation type: "foundation update"

That's it! EASY PEAZY!!

Now all I have to do is spend the next year learning everything I just did.

Hope this helps. (if it does check the HELPFUL box! :) )

Tom

Tom Hogan commented on Tom Hogan's post over 5 years

Steve,

Before uninstalling everything, I went through all the modules to be sure I could access them to be sure they were working. So for example, at the command prompt I typed Ruby -v which gave me the Ruby version. Typing npm brings up a list of commands, etc.

By doing this I was able to ensure that each package was working EXCEPT for foundation cli. Having eliminated all the other packages as a problem I figured that my foundation cli was the issue so I reinstalled foundation cli using the gem install command, then re-ran the foundation new project_name --libsass command and EUREKA! it worked! I then did a "grunt build" and everything looks fine with a nice directory of folders underneath the root directory.

Now all I have to do is figure out how it all works. lol

I want to thank you for your time helping me to resolve the issue. It is much appreciated.

Tom

Posts Followed

Following

No Content

Followers

My Posts

No Content

My Comments

You commented on Wing-Hou Chan's post over 5 years

I'd like to second Samuel's suggestions. A spam flag inside the comments section would be a great addition at this point. Also, open source forum software is a fantastic idea.

You commented on Rafi Benkual's post over 5 years

Image sliders tend to be the darling of web designers and marketers as a source of great eye candy that can make a webpage pop. Unfortunately, most studies dating from at least the mid-to-late 90's have consistently shown that they're not very effective and that users rarely get past the first image before their eyes glaze over and they ignore the information presented to them on subsequent slides.

The reasons why they tend to be ineffective are numerous such as:

1) The information presented isn't relevant
2) Content scrolls by too quickly
3) People have short attention spans
4) Many simply find them annoying
5) accessibility issues for people with limited motor skills

The best advice seems to be to focus your user on one main message and keep it stationary.

Finding articles on the pitfalls of image rotators are easy enough to find but here are two to get you started.

http://bit.ly/1mCzbf1
http://bit.ly/1qecMug

You commented on Ivan Torres's post over 5 years

Rafi,

You're a genius! I've had that app on my phone for 10 months now and could never figure out anything useful to do with it.

FInally, a use! Now I don't have to delete it.

You commented on Allan Kendall's post over 5 years

Glad you found it helpful Allan.

I'm just beginning to learn SASS so I have no experience with either grunt or Koala. I have figured out that I'll need to spend some time learning grunt as it appears that there are a number of plugins that will make life a bit easier.

Maybe I'll create a "Grunt for noobs" post that will help pave the way for others new to the program.

Cheers!

Tom

You commented on Tom Hogan's post over 5 years

All,

Tom

All,

Tom

You commented on Gerard Baste's post over 5 years

Not quite sure what you mean by "full screen". Foundation is fully responsive so it looks great on small, medium and large devices. You're able to use media queries and visibility classes to get the right look and content for any size screen.

As for having a "fixed" or sticky header and footer, I don't see why not.

You commented on Bjorn Blomqvist's post over 5 years

Tom

Not sure what you mean by "...made my new Foundation 5 project from the ruby command line..." or that you have SASS files and CSS in two different directories.

I'm a bit lost as to where you are in the process but Ok.

Zurb uses bower to manage the updating process of Foundation. After installing all the dependencies you need to run "npm install -g bower grunt-cli" from the command prompt (no quotes).

Then you should install the Foundation cli by running "gem install foundation" from the command prompt (again no quotes).

After the above is created, you'll use Grunt and Libsass to compile your SASS stylesheets.

First, create a New Project. Then navigate into the directory where you want all the files to be created. cd\path\to\MyNewProjectRoot

Next you'll use the Foundation cli that you just installed to create all your new project files in your New Project root directory.

Type without quotes: "foundation new project_name --libsass" and see the magic happen.

In your New Project root, you should see a bunch of newly created files such as: .bowerrc, gitignore, bower.json, package.json, index.html, etc. There will also be a bunch of subdirectories created such as .git, bower_components, css, js, node_modules and scss.

If you see all that CONGRATULATIONS! You're ALMOST there.

Next, you need to use Grunt to compile everything before you start working:

From you NewProject root directory type: "grunt build"

To compile changes as you work type: "grunt watch"

To update Foundation type: "foundation update"

That's it! EASY PEAZY!!

Now all I have to do is spend the next year learning everything I just did.

Hope this helps. (if it does check the HELPFUL box! :) )

Tom

You commented on Tom Hogan's post over 5 years

Steve,

Before uninstalling everything, I went through all the modules to be sure I could access them to be sure they were working. So for example, at the command prompt I typed Ruby -v which gave me the Ruby version. Typing npm brings up a list of commands, etc.

By doing this I was able to ensure that each package was working EXCEPT for foundation cli. Having eliminated all the other packages as a problem I figured that my foundation cli was the issue so I reinstalled foundation cli using the gem install command, then re-ran the foundation new project_name --libsass command and EUREKA! it worked! I then did a "grunt build" and everything looks fine with a nice directory of folders underneath the root directory.

Now all I have to do is figure out how it all works. lol

I want to thank you for your time helping me to resolve the issue. It is much appreciated.

Tom

Posts Followed

Following

• No Content

Followers

• No Content