Menu icon Foundation

My Posts

My Comments

Andrew Henning commented on Jason Kendall's post almost 2 years

Github no longer hosts the binaries for node-sass v3.13.1.
That version of node-sass is required by gulp-sass 2.1.0, which is also quite old. The official ZURB template also references a half dozen other outdated/deprecated packages, i.e. the whole Foundation for Sites 6.4.3 could use some updating IMHO.
I think the easiest way to fix your error is simply to update the package.json file.
Change:

"gulp-sass": "2.1.0"<span style="color: #d4d4d4;">,

to:

"gulp-sass": "3.1.0"<span style="color: #d4d4d4;">,

then run:
npm install
AFAIK the 3.x line is backwards compatible, and it eliminates your problem, as this selects a newer set of node-sass binaries to download. I've not seen any other issue pop up as a result of this change.

Andrew Henning commented on michel bocande's post almost 2 years

@Michael Bocande
I don't use Zurb's foundation-cli tool because:

it can only install the very latest version of the Foundation for Sites template, which is rarely what I need.
I don't need anything automatically updating Foundation for Sites to a newer version. I prefer to do that manually in a very controlled way and always starting from the default template.

For that reason I can't help you with your foundation-cli and/or CSS issue. All I can say is that the error message is not the problem (it can be ignored). However, I also don't really understand what you are saying:
> when I preview my files in a browser, my CSS won't link to my HTML.

What does preview mean?
What web server?
What files (location/type/name)?

From the command prompt, cd to your project directory. Then type "npm start". Is your site opened up in a browser and does it look as expected?

I've come to the same conclusion as Nikki. The error message:
"Failed to load external module @babel/register "
is nothing to worry about. It can be ignored.
I just pulled down a fresh copy of the Foundation for Sites Template, v6.3.1 (advanced version with SCSS support) and it gives me the exact same error. The debugger issue I mentioned earlier (which I deleted) was unrelated.

Hey Nikki James
I am using already using [email protected] (see below). In fact, using the latest Foundation for sites 6.4.3 (Zurb template), gulp v4 alpha 2 is what is configured by default in package.json. Setup a brand new project with no changes and you get exactly the aforementioned babel/register error, despite using that version of gulp. That suggests the problem is a combination of other things.
These are the packages used in my project (as setup by the standard Zurb template, except for gulp-sass, which I changed from version 2.1.0 to 3.1.0):
npm list --depth=0
[email protected] C:\Users***************\Documents\Main\Ayrino
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected] (github:gulpjs/gulp#6d71a658c61edb3090221579d8f97dbe086ba2ed)
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
`-- [email protected]

I also have this issue, using:
latest (current) Foundation 6.4.1 for Sites (Official Zurb Template) from Github
My environment:

Windows 10 1709
NodeJS v9.2.0
Visual Studio Code 1.18.1

I made one change to the package.json file:

is now:

The output from npm start:

What is wrong with babel register? How can I fix this?

Andrew Henning commented on Andrew Henning's post almost 2 years

I doubt what you've found is related to my problem, but thanks for reporting it nonetheless. ;-)

Andrew Henning commented on Adrian Bengtson's post almost 2 years

I also feel Zurb is slipping.
For example, the official Zurb template (Foundation 6 for Sites) has deteriorated into somewhat of a cluster-f***.
Many of the npm packages it references are deprecated. There are also issues with one chain of node_module references:
foundation 6.4.1 > gulp-sass 2.1.0 > node-sass 3.13.1
The installation process attempts to install binaries for that version of node-sass, which github no longer hosts, as they are not compatible with newer versions of nodejs. This causes the installation process to terminate with an error. It's hard to imagine Zurb is taking Foundation 6 for Sites seriously when it's left to rot for such a long time, causing even initial project setup to simply not work.
If I were looking at Zurb today for the first time, this would instantly make me drop Foundation and head for Bootstrap.

Andrew Henning commented on Andrew Henning's post about 2 years

Hello @Vladimir
I don't see how your answer relates to my question.
Assume you have a partial HTML file which includes the following line
<link rel="stylesheet" href="{{root}}assets/css/app.css">
Also assume that this partial is assembled as part of multiple HTML files which reside at different locations on the filesystem.
Most importantly, consider that as part of the HTML file assembly process, Panini replaces all occurrences of {{root}} with a value that depends on where the HTML file resides on the filesystem. As a result, no gulp build step following Panini is allowed to modify the path under which the HTML file is saved, as that would invalidate the value Panini replaced {{root}} with. Unfortunately, that is what my internationalization plugin must do.
So, how does what you described solve this problem?

Andrew Henning commented on Andrew Henning's post almost 3 years

Really? Nobody has come across this issue before? If not, why not? How are you building multilingual sites?
Or are people perhaps just hard-coding their paths to the assets folder? I suspect I could do that too, but if panini ever inserts a partial into a html page with a different relative path to the root directory than all the other html pages, then it's game over for the hard-coded approach.

Posts Followed

Following

No Content

Followers

My Posts

My Comments

You commented on Jason Kendall's post almost 2 years

Github no longer hosts the binaries for node-sass v3.13.1.
That version of node-sass is required by gulp-sass 2.1.0, which is also quite old. The official ZURB template also references a half dozen other outdated/deprecated packages, i.e. the whole Foundation for Sites 6.4.3 could use some updating IMHO.
I think the easiest way to fix your error is simply to update the package.json file.
Change:

to:

then run:
npm install
AFAIK the 3.x line is backwards compatible, and it eliminates your problem, as this selects a newer set of node-sass binaries to download. I've not seen any other issue pop up as a result of this change.

You commented on michel bocande's post almost 2 years

@Michael Bocande
I don't use Zurb's foundation-cli tool because:

it can only install the very latest version of the Foundation for Sites template, which is rarely what I need.
I don't need anything automatically updating Foundation for Sites to a newer version. I prefer to do that manually in a very controlled way and always starting from the default template.

For that reason I can't help you with your foundation-cli and/or CSS issue. All I can say is that the error message is not the problem (it can be ignored). However, I also don't really understand what you are saying:
> when I preview my files in a browser, my CSS won't link to my HTML.

What does preview mean?
What web server?
What files (location/type/name)?

From the command prompt, cd to your project directory. Then type "npm start". Is your site opened up in a browser and does it look as expected?

I've come to the same conclusion as Nikki. The error message:
"Failed to load external module @babel/register "
is nothing to worry about. It can be ignored.
I just pulled down a fresh copy of the Foundation for Sites Template, v6.3.1 (advanced version with SCSS support) and it gives me the exact same error. The debugger issue I mentioned earlier (which I deleted) was unrelated.

Hey Nikki James
I am using already using [email protected] (see below). In fact, using the latest Foundation for sites 6.4.3 (Zurb template), gulp v4 alpha 2 is what is configured by default in package.json. Setup a brand new project with no changes and you get exactly the aforementioned babel/register error, despite using that version of gulp. That suggests the problem is a combination of other things.
These are the packages used in my project (as setup by the standard Zurb template, except for gulp-sass, which I changed from version 2.1.0 to 3.1.0):
npm list --depth=0
[email protected] C:\Users***************\Documents\Main\Ayrino
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected] (github:gulpjs/gulp#6d71a658c61edb3090221579d8f97dbe086ba2ed)
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
+-- [email protected]
`-- [email protected]

I also have this issue, using:
latest (current) Foundation 6.4.1 for Sites (Official Zurb Template) from Github
My environment:

Windows 10 1709
NodeJS v9.2.0
Visual Studio Code 1.18.1

I made one change to the package.json file:

is now:

The output from npm start:

What is wrong with babel register? How can I fix this?

You commented on Andrew Henning's post almost 2 years

I doubt what you've found is related to my problem, but thanks for reporting it nonetheless. ;-)

You commented on Adrian Bengtson's post almost 2 years

I also feel Zurb is slipping.
For example, the official Zurb template (Foundation 6 for Sites) has deteriorated into somewhat of a cluster-f***.
Many of the npm packages it references are deprecated. There are also issues with one chain of node_module references:
foundation 6.4.1 > gulp-sass 2.1.0 > node-sass 3.13.1
The installation process attempts to install binaries for that version of node-sass, which github no longer hosts, as they are not compatible with newer versions of nodejs. This causes the installation process to terminate with an error. It's hard to imagine Zurb is taking Foundation 6 for Sites seriously when it's left to rot for such a long time, causing even initial project setup to simply not work.
If I were looking at Zurb today for the first time, this would instantly make me drop Foundation and head for Bootstrap.

You commented on Andrew Henning's post about 2 years

Hello @Vladimir
I don't see how your answer relates to my question.
Assume you have a partial HTML file which includes the following line
<link rel="stylesheet" href="{{root}}assets/css/app.css">
Also assume that this partial is assembled as part of multiple HTML files which reside at different locations on the filesystem.
Most importantly, consider that as part of the HTML file assembly process, Panini replaces all occurrences of {{root}} with a value that depends on where the HTML file resides on the filesystem. As a result, no gulp build step following Panini is allowed to modify the path under which the HTML file is saved, as that would invalidate the value Panini replaced {{root}} with. Unfortunately, that is what my internationalization plugin must do.
So, how does what you described solve this problem?

You commented on Andrew Henning's post almost 3 years

Really? Nobody has come across this issue before? If not, why not? How are you building multilingual sites?
Or are people perhaps just hard-coding their paths to the assets folder? I suspect I could do that too, but if panini ever inserts a partial into a html page with a different relative path to the root directory than all the other html pages, then it's game over for the hard-coded approach.

Posts Followed

Following

• No Content

Followers

• No Content