Menu icon Foundation

My Posts

No Content

My Comments

Matt Bainton commented on James Cocker's post almost 6 years

@Jared, if you are using the Grunt + libsass version of Foundation 5, it is pretty trivial to fix the REM support issue by adding grunt-pixrem task to post-process your compiled css. That was one of the easiest parts of this puzzle.

Matt Bainton commented on Luke Durman's post almost 6 years

One of the big (and DUMB) reasons that the off-canvas features don’t work is because they only hide with css transforms, rather than with positioning and progressively enhanced to use transforms.

Transforms + transitions are more performant than positioning coordinates, but I feel it is irresponsible of the zurb team to deal with it this way (EDIT: without a fallback). If you view their own site in IE8, the whole site is permanently covered by their non-hidden non-off-canvas menu. it takes just a few lines of code and modernizr feature testing to progressively enhance or gracefully degrade this situation.

Sending a big “Screw you for using an old browser!” to your users is quite different then not bending over backwards to polish up the experience for them.

To be honest, I have tried since F4 to get Zurb interested in working out rasterizing mq’s for older browsers. It is simple as all get-out: http://jakearchibald.github.io/sass-ie/. I have used this method for sites for Verizon, F35, Denny’s and more and is far better than having JS parse and re-render your stylesheets.

Posts Followed

No Content

Following

No Content

Followers

My Posts

No Content

My Comments

You commented on James Cocker's post almost 6 years

@Jared, if you are using the Grunt + libsass version of Foundation 5, it is pretty trivial to fix the REM support issue by adding grunt-pixrem task to post-process your compiled css. That was one of the easiest parts of this puzzle.

You commented on Luke Durman's post almost 6 years

One of the big (and DUMB) reasons that the off-canvas features don’t work is because they only hide with css transforms, rather than with positioning and progressively enhanced to use transforms.

Transforms + transitions are more performant than positioning coordinates, but I feel it is irresponsible of the zurb team to deal with it this way (EDIT: without a fallback). If you view their own site in IE8, the whole site is permanently covered by their non-hidden non-off-canvas menu. it takes just a few lines of code and modernizr feature testing to progressively enhance or gracefully degrade this situation.

Sending a big “Screw you for using an old browser!” to your users is quite different then not bending over backwards to polish up the experience for them.

To be honest, I have tried since F4 to get Zurb interested in working out rasterizing mq’s for older browsers. It is simple as all get-out: http://jakearchibald.github.io/sass-ie/. I have used this method for sites for Verizon, F35, Denny’s and more and is far better than having JS parse and re-render your stylesheets.

Posts Followed

No Content

Following

• No Content

Followers

• No Content