Menu icon Foundation

Developer

My Posts

My Comments

Gavin Thomas commented on James Cocker's post about 4 years

BTW.. i wouldn't use the rem polyfill. This is extremely memory hungry and isn't needed if you use Glen phillips code or grunt to convert px to rem units.

Gavin Thomas commented on James Cocker's post about 4 years

Just use the sass code Glenn Phillip posted on page 3:

http://foundation.zurb.com/forum/posts/241-foundation-5-and-ie8?page=3

I've got foundation 5.4 working fine with IE8 using that along with

and that's it.

Gavin Thomas commented on James Cocker's post over 5 years

I've now built up an IE8 sass file which is importing the grid code above (i've had to include the lower bound ranges functions)

I'd like to ideally pull in my other sass files which utilise the rem-calc() function. Is there a way of pulling out the px value in the brackets instead of having to duplicate code?

BTW Glenn Philp

Thanks a million for your code. It's worked an absolute treat. I'm importing the foundation settings file and it's working really well!

is by no where near perfect, so if you implement it remember IE 7 and 8 don't know box-sizing or the :last-child.

IE 8 does understand box-sizing: http://caniuse.com/css3-boxsizing (border-box which foundation uses)

I too am using foundation 5 (5.2.1) For a large organisation who want responsive, html5 and we are having to support IE8.

I've been researching the best way of doing this

• Polyfills - Only really want to do this for html 5 elements. I've tried the polyfills for rems and css 3 and i'm getting impaired performance + the rems polyfill just isn't working for me

• Grunt tasks which post processes the css

Cons - includes all the media query stuff (need to strip this out for IE8)

This won't work as it needs to read in an actual rem value, Not a precompiled function of remcalc( )

What i really want is a IE.scss file that imports some foundation components but outputs css which strips out media query information and provides px values instead of rems

Glenn.. Can you explain the sass code above? Is this a settings file for an IE8 stylesheet. Any reason why you are using media queries or are you adding a media query polyfill conditional comment to IE8. Does this code work well with the remcalc function? I'm using this quite a lot in my sass code

Gavin Thomas commented on Gavin Thomas's post over 5 years

Nope.. that seemed to be the only place it woudl understand the term 'foundation' as that's where the command is located.

Unless i can run this at root (which i don't seem to be able to)

Posts Followed

Replies
  • Foundation 5 and IE8

By James Cocker

ie8Foundation 5usage

Firstly, I know, I know, IE8 is nearly dead and the recommended way to use Foundation on it is to stick with version 3. However, I have a new site build coming up which unfortunately requires IE8 support, and I'd really like to use the new Foundation 5 wi... (continued)

Last Reply by manav singh 10 months ago

Following

No Content

Followers

My Posts

My Comments

You commented on James Cocker's post about 4 years

BTW.. i wouldn't use the rem polyfill. This is extremely memory hungry and isn't needed if you use Glen phillips code or grunt to convert px to rem units.

You commented on James Cocker's post about 4 years

Just use the sass code Glenn Phillip posted on page 3:

http://foundation.zurb.com/forum/posts/241-foundation-5-and-ie8?page=3

I've got foundation 5.4 working fine with IE8 using that along with

and that's it.

You commented on James Cocker's post over 5 years

I've now built up an IE8 sass file which is importing the grid code above (i've had to include the lower bound ranges functions)

I'd like to ideally pull in my other sass files which utilise the rem-calc() function. Is there a way of pulling out the px value in the brackets instead of having to duplicate code?

BTW Glenn Philp

Thanks a million for your code. It's worked an absolute treat. I'm importing the foundation settings file and it's working really well!

is by no where near perfect, so if you implement it remember IE 7 and 8 don't know box-sizing or the :last-child.

IE 8 does understand box-sizing: http://caniuse.com/css3-boxsizing (border-box which foundation uses)

I too am using foundation 5 (5.2.1) For a large organisation who want responsive, html5 and we are having to support IE8.

I've been researching the best way of doing this

• Polyfills - Only really want to do this for html 5 elements. I've tried the polyfills for rems and css 3 and i'm getting impaired performance + the rems polyfill just isn't working for me

• Grunt tasks which post processes the css

Cons - includes all the media query stuff (need to strip this out for IE8)

This won't work as it needs to read in an actual rem value, Not a precompiled function of remcalc( )

What i really want is a IE.scss file that imports some foundation components but outputs css which strips out media query information and provides px values instead of rems

Glenn.. Can you explain the sass code above? Is this a settings file for an IE8 stylesheet. Any reason why you are using media queries or are you adding a media query polyfill conditional comment to IE8. Does this code work well with the remcalc function? I'm using this quite a lot in my sass code

You commented on Gavin Thomas's post over 5 years

Nope.. that seemed to be the only place it woudl understand the term 'foundation' as that's where the command is located.

Unless i can run this at root (which i don't seem to be able to)

Posts Followed

Following

• No Content

Followers

• No Content