Menu icon Foundation

Developer | Sligo, Ireland

Software Engineer, working for Groupmail Ltd.

My Posts

No Content

My Comments

Derek McDermott commented on Derek McDermott's post almost 2 years

(That was weird - why it wouldn't let me post that reply in one chunk I don't know!)

It isn't too bad, but the point is that it's different, which makes me wonder about the framework generally. In this case, the grey header/wrapper doesn't appear to work, the links are rendered horizontal (probably a parent width problem) so pushing the right hand column width out too far and the social icon colours are all wrong. I can probably hack the layout, but that's not the issue.So, unless Zurb are using a different layout page or additional CSS I can't understand why I should get such a different result. I've only just downloaded recently the Zurb Foundation for Emails so I'm using the latest sources. The only other thing I can think of is that the Zurb Litmus test is actually old and that Outlook 2016 updates have broken things since - I wonder if Zurb ran the test again would they get the same results? Are their litmus tests run on demand each time or are they just cached images?
Alternatively, it would be nice if Zurb would publish their actual sources used in the Litmus tests so that we can verify everything is working correctly.
Has anyone else come across this issue I wonder? It's pretty easy to test out!

I have the Foundation for Emails framework v2.2.1 installed (on a Mac) and have everything working that you outlined above, yet without changing any of the sample code, when I paste in the sidebar-hero.html template downloaded from Zurb into my pages folder and run Foundation Build and email myself the "dist/sidebar-hero.html" file, it renders broken in Outlook 2016 (Windows 10 Desktop) as shown here: -
Outlook 2016 Screenshot

Hi Corey,
Thank you very much for that comprehensive walkthrough, that was a lot of work to trouble you with, but I'm sure it will be of great benefit to anyone else starting out with foundation, particularly your section on the Partials and the Front-Matter, which aren't really covered in the Zurb docs very well, so that's a great help.
I can see that the framework is potentially going to be very useful, provided that I can reproduce the same results across all the email clients that the Zurb appear to support, based on their litmus tests here.
What I still can't get past though, and this is the deal-breaker for me using their framework is that I just can't reproduce their litmus test results (see here) using Zurb's own template samples e.g. sidebar-hero.html.

Sorry guys, I've been trying to respond but the Zurb spam-bot is preventing me from replying! So, I'm going to break up my reply into chunks just to try to get past it - sorry if it's awkward to follow!

Posts Followed

No Content

Following

No Content

Followers

My Posts

No Content

My Comments

You commented on Derek McDermott's post almost 2 years

(That was weird - why it wouldn't let me post that reply in one chunk I don't know!)

It isn't too bad, but the point is that it's different, which makes me wonder about the framework generally. In this case, the grey header/wrapper doesn't appear to work, the links are rendered horizontal (probably a parent width problem) so pushing the right hand column width out too far and the social icon colours are all wrong. I can probably hack the layout, but that's not the issue.So, unless Zurb are using a different layout page or additional CSS I can't understand why I should get such a different result. I've only just downloaded recently the Zurb Foundation for Emails so I'm using the latest sources. The only other thing I can think of is that the Zurb Litmus test is actually old and that Outlook 2016 updates have broken things since - I wonder if Zurb ran the test again would they get the same results? Are their litmus tests run on demand each time or are they just cached images?
Alternatively, it would be nice if Zurb would publish their actual sources used in the Litmus tests so that we can verify everything is working correctly.
Has anyone else come across this issue I wonder? It's pretty easy to test out!

I have the Foundation for Emails framework v2.2.1 installed (on a Mac) and have everything working that you outlined above, yet without changing any of the sample code, when I paste in the sidebar-hero.html template downloaded from Zurb into my pages folder and run Foundation Build and email myself the "dist/sidebar-hero.html" file, it renders broken in Outlook 2016 (Windows 10 Desktop) as shown here: -
Outlook 2016 Screenshot

Hi Corey,
Thank you very much for that comprehensive walkthrough, that was a lot of work to trouble you with, but I'm sure it will be of great benefit to anyone else starting out with foundation, particularly your section on the Partials and the Front-Matter, which aren't really covered in the Zurb docs very well, so that's a great help.
I can see that the framework is potentially going to be very useful, provided that I can reproduce the same results across all the email clients that the Zurb appear to support, based on their litmus tests here.
What I still can't get past though, and this is the deal-breaker for me using their framework is that I just can't reproduce their litmus test results (see here) using Zurb's own template samples e.g. sidebar-hero.html.

Sorry guys, I've been trying to respond but the Zurb spam-bot is preventing me from replying! So, I'm going to break up my reply into chunks just to try to get past it - sorry if it's awkward to follow!

Posts Followed

No Content

Following

• No Content

Followers

• No Content