Menu icon Foundation

My Posts

Replies
  • Bamboozled

By Jon B

Hi there, I am pretty much a complete beginner to all this Foundation 6 stuff and bower and gulp and npm (and the list goes on). I am struggling away with trying to understand everything but there seems to be so many ways to do things with such large a... (continued)

Last Reply by craig bane over 1 year ago

Replies
  • Problems with default install and menus

By Jon B

Menus

Hi there, I am having problems trying to get some of the menus from the Building Blocks section of the site to work. I am a new arrival to the world of npm, bower, sass etc etc. It's a whole new world indeed and it does seem rather complicated but that... (continued)

Last Reply by Jean-Pol Dupont over 1 year ago

My Comments

Jon B commented on Jon B's post over 1 year

I changed the bower.json file and ran update and got this:

Unable to find a suitable version for jquery, please choose one:
1) jquery#~2.1.4 which resolved to 2.1.4 and is required by motion-ui#1.1.1
2) jquery#~2.2.0 which resolved to 2.2.1 and is required by foundation-sites#6.2.0

So I chose option 2.

Then I ran bower update again and got this...

Please note that,
motion-ui#1.1.1 depends on jquery#~2.1.4 which resolved to jquery#2.1.4
foundation-sites#6.2.0 depends on jquery#~2.2.0 which resolved to jquery#2.2.1
Resort to using jquery#~2.2.0 which resolved to jquery#2.2.1
Code incompatibilities may occur.

I am not currently using motion-ui, but I thought I would raise this as a possible problem...

Jon B

Jon B commented on Chuong Huynh's post over 1 year

It's interesting to note that I have discovered that Yeti does not currently install the latest version... I think the Zurb guys are looking at changing Yeti to make sure it updates automatically.

Jon B

Gentlemen,

Thank you all very much indeed for your replies - your time and effort is much appreciated. Very very useful indeed.

My original post was marked as spam by the Zurb Bot, and I have to confess I was on the point of going over to Bootstrap just for an easy life, but your comments have inspired and fired up my enthusiasm again - THANK YOU!

I suspect there may be quite a lot of people using Yeti and are finding it confusing that it still installs an old version of the framework.

I shall persevere!

Jon B

Hi Rafi,

I installed the project using Yeti - has Yeti been updated to use the latest version 6.2? I can retry with that version if that is so...

Thanks for your reply.

JB

Jon B commented on Jozef Banuelos's post over 1 year

Good point.

It contrasts greatly with the reviews coming out about Bootstrap 4.0 - apparently the documentation for that is excellent, and I am beginning to wonder why I am putting myself through all this hassle. After all, the aim is to create websites, not be brilliant at figuring out every nuance of a framework! I seem to be spending a LOT of time blundering around getting very little actually produced!

As for Yeti - it's great but I really have very little idea of what it's doing behind the scenes - I love the SASS stuff but once again all this package manager and script stuff just feels like a distraction from actually getting a website created.

Hey ho, we stumble along. Do the Zurb guys read much of this stuff?

Thanks again for your comments - supremely helpful.

JB

Barbara, you're a Godsend!

I shall try all your suggestions this evening as soon as I've had my tea!

I was interested in Foundation precisely to get away from using my own badly written and poorly constructed CSS! :-)

There seems to be a bit of a disconnect between the claims that the Zurb guys are making about Foundation, and what noobs like myself and others are actually experiencing. I suspect it's the classic trap that we all fall into - when we are in our comfort/knowledge zone we just assume so much about what others will know or understand, and it's only when our safe world ends up interacting with new users with NO knowledge of our products that all the bugs and gotchas start to appear!

Thanks so much for taking the time to post. Really appreciated.

JB

Barbara and Wyeth

Thank you both very much indeed for your replies - they are much appreciated.

Barbara, your comment was very useful. It's a bit bizarre that one has to do a course with Zurb to find that rather useful nugget of information out...

I do think it is somewhat ingenuous to assume that people are going to style the menu bars themselves. Nowhere in the documentation does it say that one has to do that - and certainly with the Building Blocks one would assume that ALL the blocks are complete and set up to recreate what they show onscreen. This does make me think that I am missing a trick, but I have been at this for so many hours that I am slowly losing the will to live.

Anyway, I shall explore further.

Wyeth - thank you for the styling help. It's very useful, but I am frustrated that it is necessary!

JB

Jon B commented on Jozef Banuelos's post almost 2 years

Hi there,

I am having similar problems to this trying to get some of the menus from the Building Blocks section of the site to work. I too am a new arrival to the world of npm, bower, sass etc etc. It's a whole new world indeed and it does seem rather complicated but that's life.

However, my problem is this.

I have created a Test site using Yeti to create a basic "Foundation for Sites" site, just to experiment.

I understand how the .scss files work,, and I have added my own .scss file into the mix and included it in scss/app.scss file so that it is compiled along with all the standard foundation stuff.

Apart from that, I have changed nothing at all.

I take the HTML from say the "F6 Top Bar" building block and insert into index.html on the Yeti created site.

I take the SCSS from the F6 Top bar and insert it into my JB.SCSS file for inclusion with the SASS compilation.

Yeti compiles the SASS successfully.

And the result? - There is no black menu bar, just black areas where SITE and ONE TWO THREE showing. The drop downs seem to work ok, but the styling for the menu bar does not.

This happens with ALL the menu building blocks that I have tried.

What is weird is that other building blocks seem to work fine.

I have changed nothing at all. My JS calls at the end of the index.html have not changed - the only thing I have changed is the addition of the HTML shown in the building blocks. I have tried to stick with the Yeti created code as much as possible.

I have spent a couple of days playing with this to no avail. How come this stuff just does not seem to work "straight out of the box"?

Can anyone help? I really like the look of Foundation and I love the SASS stuff and the way Yeti compiles it in the background, but this menu stuff is doing my head in!

Thanks for any help.

Posts Followed

Following

No Content

Followers

My Posts

My Comments

You commented on Jon B's post over 1 year

I changed the bower.json file and ran update and got this:

Unable to find a suitable version for jquery, please choose one:
1) jquery#~2.1.4 which resolved to 2.1.4 and is required by motion-ui#1.1.1
2) jquery#~2.2.0 which resolved to 2.2.1 and is required by foundation-sites#6.2.0

So I chose option 2.

Then I ran bower update again and got this...

Please note that,
motion-ui#1.1.1 depends on jquery#~2.1.4 which resolved to jquery#2.1.4
foundation-sites#6.2.0 depends on jquery#~2.2.0 which resolved to jquery#2.2.1
Resort to using jquery#~2.2.0 which resolved to jquery#2.2.1
Code incompatibilities may occur.

I am not currently using motion-ui, but I thought I would raise this as a possible problem...

Jon B

You commented on Chuong Huynh's post over 1 year

It's interesting to note that I have discovered that Yeti does not currently install the latest version... I think the Zurb guys are looking at changing Yeti to make sure it updates automatically.

Jon B

Gentlemen,

Thank you all very much indeed for your replies - your time and effort is much appreciated. Very very useful indeed.

My original post was marked as spam by the Zurb Bot, and I have to confess I was on the point of going over to Bootstrap just for an easy life, but your comments have inspired and fired up my enthusiasm again - THANK YOU!

I suspect there may be quite a lot of people using Yeti and are finding it confusing that it still installs an old version of the framework.

I shall persevere!

Jon B

Hi Rafi,

I installed the project using Yeti - has Yeti been updated to use the latest version 6.2? I can retry with that version if that is so...

Thanks for your reply.

JB

You commented on Jozef Banuelos's post over 1 year

Good point.

It contrasts greatly with the reviews coming out about Bootstrap 4.0 - apparently the documentation for that is excellent, and I am beginning to wonder why I am putting myself through all this hassle. After all, the aim is to create websites, not be brilliant at figuring out every nuance of a framework! I seem to be spending a LOT of time blundering around getting very little actually produced!

As for Yeti - it's great but I really have very little idea of what it's doing behind the scenes - I love the SASS stuff but once again all this package manager and script stuff just feels like a distraction from actually getting a website created.

Hey ho, we stumble along. Do the Zurb guys read much of this stuff?

Thanks again for your comments - supremely helpful.

JB

Barbara, you're a Godsend!

I shall try all your suggestions this evening as soon as I've had my tea!

I was interested in Foundation precisely to get away from using my own badly written and poorly constructed CSS! :-)

There seems to be a bit of a disconnect between the claims that the Zurb guys are making about Foundation, and what noobs like myself and others are actually experiencing. I suspect it's the classic trap that we all fall into - when we are in our comfort/knowledge zone we just assume so much about what others will know or understand, and it's only when our safe world ends up interacting with new users with NO knowledge of our products that all the bugs and gotchas start to appear!

Thanks so much for taking the time to post. Really appreciated.

JB

Barbara and Wyeth

Thank you both very much indeed for your replies - they are much appreciated.

Barbara, your comment was very useful. It's a bit bizarre that one has to do a course with Zurb to find that rather useful nugget of information out...

I do think it is somewhat ingenuous to assume that people are going to style the menu bars themselves. Nowhere in the documentation does it say that one has to do that - and certainly with the Building Blocks one would assume that ALL the blocks are complete and set up to recreate what they show onscreen. This does make me think that I am missing a trick, but I have been at this for so many hours that I am slowly losing the will to live.

Anyway, I shall explore further.

Wyeth - thank you for the styling help. It's very useful, but I am frustrated that it is necessary!

JB

You commented on Jozef Banuelos's post almost 2 years

Hi there,

I am having similar problems to this trying to get some of the menus from the Building Blocks section of the site to work. I too am a new arrival to the world of npm, bower, sass etc etc. It's a whole new world indeed and it does seem rather complicated but that's life.

However, my problem is this.

I have created a Test site using Yeti to create a basic "Foundation for Sites" site, just to experiment.

I understand how the .scss files work,, and I have added my own .scss file into the mix and included it in scss/app.scss file so that it is compiled along with all the standard foundation stuff.

Apart from that, I have changed nothing at all.

I take the HTML from say the "F6 Top Bar" building block and insert into index.html on the Yeti created site.

I take the SCSS from the F6 Top bar and insert it into my JB.SCSS file for inclusion with the SASS compilation.

Yeti compiles the SASS successfully.

And the result? - There is no black menu bar, just black areas where SITE and ONE TWO THREE showing. The drop downs seem to work ok, but the styling for the menu bar does not.

This happens with ALL the menu building blocks that I have tried.

What is weird is that other building blocks seem to work fine.

I have changed nothing at all. My JS calls at the end of the index.html have not changed - the only thing I have changed is the addition of the HTML shown in the building blocks. I have tried to stick with the Yeti created code as much as possible.

I have spent a couple of days playing with this to no avail. How come this stuff just does not seem to work "straight out of the box"?

Can anyone help? I really like the look of Foundation and I love the SASS stuff and the way Yeti compiles it in the background, but this menu stuff is doing my head in!

Thanks for any help.

Posts Followed

Following

• No Content

Followers

• No Content