Menu icon Foundation

My Posts

My Comments

Russell commented on Nando Boronat's post over 3 years

Is there an update for these CDN's? The 1.2.0 links on the Docs page don't work. Latest seems to be 1.1.0

Russell commented on Russell's post over 3 years

Have received no reply, but the answer is yes, it is possible. You just bring in Foundation for Apps via bower, then copy and paste the _settings.scss file from bower_components/foundation/scss/ into your application, and then include it into your existing SCSS files. We included it before including the main foundation SCSS (which you leave in bower_components, and just reference to in there).

Have received no reply, but the answer is yes, it is possible. You just bring in Foundation for Apps via bower, then copy and paste the _settings.scss file from bower_components/foundation/scss/ into your application, and then include it into your existing SCSS files. We included it before including the main foundation SCSS (which you leave in bower_components, and just reference to in there).

Russell commented on Cathal's post over 3 years

Eek! No idea why that text is SO LARGE lol. Sorry!

Russell commented on Cathal's post over 3 years

Hi Brian, Rafi,

Thanks for your replies. I think its just a simple misunderstanding. Maybe not everyone installs it using Bower.

I am using Foundation for Sites which is pulled in via bower. This means there is NOTHING foundation related in my website's root folder. /src/assets/scss is not there.

The reason is simple, because foundation is installed via Bower, this means everything is under a foundation folder in bower_components. Hence my question was: "How do I edit this settings file when its in bower_components, because as Rafi says, everything in there is overwritten on updates."

For anyone else coming across this issue. The solution is also simple, although initially it did not seem that simple, as I was not sure how it all linked together.

However, all you have to do is copy the _settings.scss file into the website directory of your site/app, and then simply include it into an existing SCSS style file you are already using, using the @import command, or you can concatentate it using Grunt/Gulp.

The way we did it was using Grunt.
So the concatenation order was:
1. yahooreset.scss - Yahoo Reset version 3
2. _settings.scss - file copied from bower_components into my application folder.
3. app.scss - main application scss file
4. components//.scss - component based scss files for working with angular JS.

After more detailed reading of the Foundation for Apps Docs, there is actually a single line that confirms this settings file can simply be copied from bower_components.

The Settings File

All Foundatiion projects include a settings file, named _settings.scss. If you're using the CLI to create a Foundation for Apps project, you can find the settings file under client/assets/scss/. [b]If you're installing the framework standalone using Bower or npm, there's a settings file included in those packages, which you can move into your own Sass files to work with.[/b]

Hope this helps clear up what I was actually asking for, and I hope it explains the possibly frustrated replies I have given when it seemed nobody understood what I was trying to explain.

Hi Brian,

We had to install it via bower, as we were integrating it into a yeoman scaffold structure.

But we have a solution.

But what we ended up doing was simply manually copying the _settings.scss from /bower_components/foundation-apps/scss into our /app/ folder.

Then in our main SCSS file, imported the settings SCSS file (now copies to /app/), and then imported the SCSS foundation file (still referencing it in /bower_components/foundation-apps/)

So hopefully, problem solved.

We are now considering premium support for foundation for apps, because these simple questions taking this long to resolve with all the miscommunication on forums is something we may not be able to do. Any ideas on the pricing, the website seems to say $99 per incident. That seems strange, they call that low cost in the same paragraph, but for $99 per question, thats crazy. Maybe it was a typo.

This still did not help. Please read my post regarding the lack of a config file. I tried to explain again, and maybe I'm not explaining correctly, so excuse my frustration.

But to make it super clear, when doing a full search for 'scss' there is no such directory apart from in 'bower_components'

To be honest, im close to giving on this framework, it does not seem to be ready for mass use, the documentation seems to be lacking considerably. Foundation for Sites has great documentation, but 'for Apps' seems to be very behind.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for replying, but your reply seems to relate to the Foundation for Sites product. This is about the Foundation for Apps product.

The directories you mentioned dont exist. As explained (maybe not very clearly sorry) in my original post, the SCSS directory is under 'bower_components' as it's been installed using bower, which Foundation recommends from what I understand?

And the problem with it being under bower_components is that this directory will overwritten each time there is an update...

Russell commented on John Cable's post over 3 years

We're about to do this, I'll try and remember to update you on progress.

Russell commented on Jon Mattingly's post over 3 years

Jeanie,

Just to be totally clear, instead of doing as you suggested, can you do it the other way around as well?

"You are completely free to write your own directives, modules, controllers, and views and plop it into a Foundation for Apps project when you're ready!"

Can you do:

• Write your own Angular app, with directives, modules, controllers, and views
  • and then plop Foundation for Sites into this?

Or if you cant, then can you explain how to stick your own structured views and controllers etc into a Foundations for Apps project, as F4A uses its own routing controlled from the HTML view files.

If you can explain this, that would be very useful, and will be the difference between us doing it right, or wasting several days trying myself trying and failing, and then having to abandon hopes for being able to use Foundation.

Posts Followed

Following

No Content

Followers

My Posts

My Comments

You commented on Nando Boronat's post over 3 years

Is there an update for these CDN's? The 1.2.0 links on the Docs page don't work. Latest seems to be 1.1.0

You commented on Russell's post over 3 years

You commented on Cathal's post over 3 years

Eek! No idea why that text is SO LARGE lol. Sorry!

You commented on Cathal's post over 3 years

Hi Brian, Rafi,

Thanks for your replies. I think its just a simple misunderstanding. Maybe not everyone installs it using Bower.

I am using Foundation for Sites which is pulled in via bower. This means there is NOTHING foundation related in my website's root folder. /src/assets/scss is not there.

The reason is simple, because foundation is installed via Bower, this means everything is under a foundation folder in bower_components. Hence my question was: "How do I edit this settings file when its in bower_components, because as Rafi says, everything in there is overwritten on updates."

For anyone else coming across this issue. The solution is also simple, although initially it did not seem that simple, as I was not sure how it all linked together.

However, all you have to do is copy the _settings.scss file into the website directory of your site/app, and then simply include it into an existing SCSS style file you are already using, using the @import command, or you can concatentate it using Grunt/Gulp.

The way we did it was using Grunt.
So the concatenation order was:
1. yahooreset.scss - Yahoo Reset version 3
2. _settings.scss - file copied from bower_components into my application folder.
3. app.scss - main application scss file
4. components//.scss - component based scss files for working with angular JS.

After more detailed reading of the Foundation for Apps Docs, there is actually a single line that confirms this settings file can simply be copied from bower_components.

The Settings File

All Foundatiion projects include a settings file, named _settings.scss. If you're using the CLI to create a Foundation for Apps project, you can find the settings file under client/assets/scss/. [b]If you're installing the framework standalone using Bower or npm, there's a settings file included in those packages, which you can move into your own Sass files to work with.[/b]

Hope this helps clear up what I was actually asking for, and I hope it explains the possibly frustrated replies I have given when it seemed nobody understood what I was trying to explain.

Hi Brian,

We had to install it via bower, as we were integrating it into a yeoman scaffold structure.

But we have a solution.

But what we ended up doing was simply manually copying the _settings.scss from /bower_components/foundation-apps/scss into our /app/ folder.

Then in our main SCSS file, imported the settings SCSS file (now copies to /app/), and then imported the SCSS foundation file (still referencing it in /bower_components/foundation-apps/)

So hopefully, problem solved.

We are now considering premium support for foundation for apps, because these simple questions taking this long to resolve with all the miscommunication on forums is something we may not be able to do. Any ideas on the pricing, the website seems to say $99 per incident. That seems strange, they call that low cost in the same paragraph, but for $99 per question, thats crazy. Maybe it was a typo.

This still did not help. Please read my post regarding the lack of a config file. I tried to explain again, and maybe I'm not explaining correctly, so excuse my frustration.

But to make it super clear, when doing a full search for 'scss' there is no such directory apart from in 'bower_components'

To be honest, im close to giving on this framework, it does not seem to be ready for mass use, the documentation seems to be lacking considerably. Foundation for Sites has great documentation, but 'for Apps' seems to be very behind.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for replying, but your reply seems to relate to the Foundation for Sites product. This is about the Foundation for Apps product.

The directories you mentioned dont exist. As explained (maybe not very clearly sorry) in my original post, the SCSS directory is under 'bower_components' as it's been installed using bower, which Foundation recommends from what I understand?

And the problem with it being under bower_components is that this directory will overwritten each time there is an update...

You commented on John Cable's post over 3 years

We're about to do this, I'll try and remember to update you on progress.

You commented on Jon Mattingly's post over 3 years

Jeanie,

Just to be totally clear, instead of doing as you suggested, can you do it the other way around as well?

"You are completely free to write your own directives, modules, controllers, and views and plop it into a Foundation for Apps project when you're ready!"

Can you do:

• Write your own Angular app, with directives, modules, controllers, and views
  • and then plop Foundation for Sites into this?

Or if you cant, then can you explain how to stick your own structured views and controllers etc into a Foundations for Apps project, as F4A uses its own routing controlled from the HTML view files.

If you can explain this, that would be very useful, and will be the difference between us doing it right, or wasting several days trying myself trying and failing, and then having to abandon hopes for being able to use Foundation.

Posts Followed

Following

• No Content

Followers

• No Content