Menu icon Foundation

Engineer | Airdria, Alberta

My Posts

Replies
  • So Long and Farewell

By Russel Porosky

bug

I used to love Foundation. It made all the things (well, most of them) nice and easy with a relative minimum of class name overhead. My designers would have their way with things and I never worried about whether or not those things would be troublesome. ... (continued)

Last Reply by Designer about 3 years ago

My Comments

Russel Porosky commented on Russel Porosky's post over 3 years

@Mister J Foundation (and Bootstrap) are front-end frameworks, not back-end. I would say that as far as back-end coding goes, there is absolutely no difference at all between Foundation and Bootstrap.

@Rafi Benkual I appreciate this post being un-deleted and you taking the time to reply to my concerns!

I don't really disagree with any point you've made above, and I agree that the culture and community are both pretty stellar.

Unfortunately, the main issue I perceive (and I should have been more clear about this in my original post) is the lack of consistency between releases. Major features are breaking between releases; documentation is breaking (which is weird) between releases; even the example code won't work in a few cases (I'm looking at you, Sticky).

These aren't problems associated with team size, but with attention to detail. I have 3 out of 4 sites that can't use Reveal because the modal appears either off-screen or at the bottom, and I don't know why the 4th site works properly.

Believe me, I have always appreciated the 1000-hour head start that Foundation gives on a project, and F4 and F5 were good at their jobs. I simply cannot justify wasting time writing work-arounds to bugs in F6 that should have blocked release, all the while knowing that the next release will potentially fix some of the features but break other ones.

Ultimately, I will be moving to more purpose-built libraries instead of all-in-ones, like I noted. There is a great sticky polyfill I've found that works well. There is a PostCSS based flex grid I can drop in which will let me get rid of SASS and remove a couple of steps from our build/deploy process (we already use PostCSS for everything except Foundation anyways). There's a fantastic library that will make iframes responsive without requiring the extra wrapper element. I won't even need jQuery for most of these (which is a good thing, I believe).

So again, thank you for taking the time to respond.

Hehe, there's a patch I saw somewhere that changed a font size from "16rem" to "1rem" in the code :)

Posts Followed

No Content

Following

No Content

Followers

My Posts

My Comments

You commented on Russel Porosky's post over 3 years

@Mister J Foundation (and Bootstrap) are front-end frameworks, not back-end. I would say that as far as back-end coding goes, there is absolutely no difference at all between Foundation and Bootstrap.

@Rafi Benkual I appreciate this post being un-deleted and you taking the time to reply to my concerns!

I don't really disagree with any point you've made above, and I agree that the culture and community are both pretty stellar.

Unfortunately, the main issue I perceive (and I should have been more clear about this in my original post) is the lack of consistency between releases. Major features are breaking between releases; documentation is breaking (which is weird) between releases; even the example code won't work in a few cases (I'm looking at you, Sticky).

These aren't problems associated with team size, but with attention to detail. I have 3 out of 4 sites that can't use Reveal because the modal appears either off-screen or at the bottom, and I don't know why the 4th site works properly.

Believe me, I have always appreciated the 1000-hour head start that Foundation gives on a project, and F4 and F5 were good at their jobs. I simply cannot justify wasting time writing work-arounds to bugs in F6 that should have blocked release, all the while knowing that the next release will potentially fix some of the features but break other ones.

Ultimately, I will be moving to more purpose-built libraries instead of all-in-ones, like I noted. There is a great sticky polyfill I've found that works well. There is a PostCSS based flex grid I can drop in which will let me get rid of SASS and remove a couple of steps from our build/deploy process (we already use PostCSS for everything except Foundation anyways). There's a fantastic library that will make iframes responsive without requiring the extra wrapper element. I won't even need jQuery for most of these (which is a good thing, I believe).

So again, thank you for taking the time to respond.

Hehe, there's a patch I saw somewhere that changed a font size from "16rem" to "1rem" in the code :)

Posts Followed

No Content

Following

• No Content

Followers

• No Content