Menu icon Foundation

My Posts

• Using different sized images in Orbit

By Mark Z

Orbitgallery

Hi, I am trying to use Orbit to create a photography gallery. I have managed to get the Orbit slider working and am using the bullets as thumbnails that change the main image when clicked on without a problem. The issue I am having is that as the photogr... (continued)

Last Reply by Mark Z over 2 years ago

Replies
  • Updating from 5 to 6 - repost

By Mark Z

Updating Foundation Sites

Sorry for reposting, this post got deleted as spam for some reason before I got to read the replies from Rafi Benkual and Brian Tan, if you could repost I would much appreciate it. I created my first Foundation site last year with version 5, I found th... (continued)

Last Reply by Mark Z almost 4 years ago

My Comments

Mark Z commented on Mark Z's post over 2 years

Solved with nested divs. Outer div has max-height value set, this has to be the max image height plus the size of the box-shadow on the img tag. The inner div has max-width value set, with three versions, each with different max-width values for landscape, portrait and square photographs. Inner div also has margin-left and margin-right set to auto to center the photographs.
I hope this helps someone along the way :)

Mark Z commented on Andy Mey's post over 2 years

Thanks for this, I was experiencing this issue too and seems to have fixed it :)

Mark Z commented on Mark Z's post almost 3 years

It seems that NodeJS v7.2.1 doesn't play nicely with Foundation 6 (please correct me if I'm wrong here, but that seemed to be the problem) and you need to go back to a 6.x.x version to work. The version I have installed now is 6.9.2, the latest v6 iteration. I used nvm (Node Version Manager) to uninstall the 7.2.1 version I had and install the 6.9.2 version.
After this, I could create a new Foundation project but got this message in Terminal:
(node:24803) fs: re-evaluating native module sources is not supported. If you are using the graceful-fs module, please update it to a more recent version.
I found that updating npm (Node Package Manager) solved this.
I hope this info may prove useful to someone, somewhere, somtime. It's so frustrating when things won't work :)
Cheers - Mark.

Mark Z commented on Mark Z's post about 3 years

OK, I've solved this, or should I say understand this a little bit better than I did. I now see that creating a new site via the CLI uses the latest version of Foundation anyway as it is downloaded from the internet, I didn't know this! That's how unclear all this is. Not sure why I had to run an update routine last time now though? Maybe because it was a whole version number update?
Thanks again for your inpt Daren :)

Mark Z commented on Mark Z's post about 3 years

Thanks for your reply Daren, it's much appreciated. I probably should have clarified that I don't want to upgrade an existing website but start a new site with the latest version, so as far as I can deduce I need to enter a command line instruction to delete the existing version and then enter another to get the new version, but the cli's I used last time don't work, I'm guessing because of different version names.
There's so much clear and helpful information about using Foundation on here including first-time installation, but nothing for newbies that explains clearly the process of updating so that any new sites are created with the latest version (and how all the stuff like Bower actually works). Could really do with a basic overview and explanation on this area.
Any further guidance still much appreciated :)

Mark Z commented on Mark Z's post almost 4 years

Thank you very much Brian, got it all working now :)

Hi Brian, thanks for reposting. However, when I try to run the uninstall line I get this response

marks-mbp:~ markz$ gem uninstall foundation
Remove executables:
  foundation

in addition to the gem? [Yn]  n
Executables and scripts will remain installed.
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::FilePermissionError)
    You don't have write permissions for the /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.0.0 directory.

I am hesitant to use "Y" in case I remove something I need, is this the case?

Thanks - Mark.

Thanks for that Brian, however when I try to run the first line I get this, tried it both ways:
Is there something I need to do before this?

Remove executables:
foundation

in addition to the gem? [Yn] Y
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::FilePermissionError)
You don't have write permissions for the /usr/bin directory.
Remove executables:
foundation

in addition to the gem? [Yn] n
marks-mbp:~ markz$

OK, so I ran "bower install foundation-sites" which seemingly installed Foundation-Sites 6.1.1, but when I run "foundation new Project_Name" to create a new site and check the bower_components/foundation/package.json file of the new site it shows the version as 5.5.3. So how do I get new sites to be created with the 6.1.1 version?

I would really appreciate some guidance with this, thanks - Mark.

Posts Followed

Following

No Content

Followers

My Posts

My Comments

You commented on Mark Z's post over 2 years

Solved with nested divs. Outer div has max-height value set, this has to be the max image height plus the size of the box-shadow on the img tag. The inner div has max-width value set, with three versions, each with different max-width values for landscape, portrait and square photographs. Inner div also has margin-left and margin-right set to auto to center the photographs.
I hope this helps someone along the way :)

You commented on Andy Mey's post over 2 years

Thanks for this, I was experiencing this issue too and seems to have fixed it :)

You commented on Mark Z's post almost 3 years

It seems that NodeJS v7.2.1 doesn't play nicely with Foundation 6 (please correct me if I'm wrong here, but that seemed to be the problem) and you need to go back to a 6.x.x version to work. The version I have installed now is 6.9.2, the latest v6 iteration. I used nvm (Node Version Manager) to uninstall the 7.2.1 version I had and install the 6.9.2 version.
After this, I could create a new Foundation project but got this message in Terminal:
(node:24803) fs: re-evaluating native module sources is not supported. If you are using the graceful-fs module, please update it to a more recent version.
I found that updating npm (Node Package Manager) solved this.
I hope this info may prove useful to someone, somewhere, somtime. It's so frustrating when things won't work :)
Cheers - Mark.

You commented on Mark Z's post about 3 years

OK, I've solved this, or should I say understand this a little bit better than I did. I now see that creating a new site via the CLI uses the latest version of Foundation anyway as it is downloaded from the internet, I didn't know this! That's how unclear all this is. Not sure why I had to run an update routine last time now though? Maybe because it was a whole version number update?
Thanks again for your inpt Daren :)

You commented on Mark Z's post about 3 years

Thanks for your reply Daren, it's much appreciated. I probably should have clarified that I don't want to upgrade an existing website but start a new site with the latest version, so as far as I can deduce I need to enter a command line instruction to delete the existing version and then enter another to get the new version, but the cli's I used last time don't work, I'm guessing because of different version names.
There's so much clear and helpful information about using Foundation on here including first-time installation, but nothing for newbies that explains clearly the process of updating so that any new sites are created with the latest version (and how all the stuff like Bower actually works). Could really do with a basic overview and explanation on this area.
Any further guidance still much appreciated :)

You commented on Mark Z's post almost 4 years

Thank you very much Brian, got it all working now :)

Hi Brian, thanks for reposting. However, when I try to run the uninstall line I get this response

Remove executables:
  foundation

in addition to the gem? [Yn]  n
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::FilePermissionError)

I am hesitant to use "Y" in case I remove something I need, is this the case?

Thanks - Mark.

Thanks for that Brian, however when I try to run the first line I get this, tried it both ways:
Is there something I need to do before this?

Remove executables:
foundation

in addition to the gem? [Yn] Y
You don't have write permissions for the /usr/bin directory.
Remove executables:
foundation

in addition to the gem? [Yn] n
marks-mbp:~ markz$

OK, so I ran "bower install foundation-sites" which seemingly installed Foundation-Sites 6.1.1, but when I run "foundation new Project_Name" to create a new site and check the bower_components/foundation/package.json file of the new site it shows the version as 5.5.3. So how do I get new sites to be created with the 6.1.1 version?

I would really appreciate some guidance with this, thanks - Mark.

Posts Followed

Following

• No Content

Followers

• No Content