Menu icon Foundation

Coder | Amsterdam

I like websites and companies that respect my provacy rights.

My Posts

My Comments

COLABORATI commented on COLABORATI's post about 3 years

Hi, rafi, you still did not correct the example - it is still not a good example, it is not usable at all. Would you please like to correct it?

COLABORATI commented on Kevin Ball's post about 3 years

It would be great to see if you guys set your priorities like this:

fix foundation 6 for sites - there are so many issues with the F6 release, it is not funny
add a decent test suite for Foundation 6
then add some filtering to this forum software - the navigation is so limited, it is nearly impossible to find things, it is an information graveyard. One indicator for this is that people are asking the same things over and over again. Just copy and paste some old school forum board architecture and it will be much better to use. Also please add the possibility to search in posts filtered by tags, or even better add categories for F5, F6 etc, integrate the fact, that your products have versions.
then again go and fix F6 (all the new problems)
then you might slowly start think about doing something new.

On Inky: Please embrace existing standards and do not invent  "the very special zurb template language".
This comment stinks unfriendly, I know, but I write this because I totally like the core of your ideas - they are very good, indeed!
However, execution is too sloppy - you could make so much more out of it if you would try to work with more intensity, if you worked with real devotion and more seriousness on these things. This is something missing in all the Zurb products. You have good ideas, but why don't you try to get to 110%? Please, more real devotion! Again - I like your things, but I see that there is too much sloppiness. Please, try to lift yourself up to another level of production quality.

COLABORATI commented on Jean-Pol Dupont's post about 3 years

wow, also now I get 500 server errors with this forum and see that posts have still been posted two times - well, sorry for that, there just seems to be some problem with their rails setup.

COLABORATI commented on Jean-Pol Dupont's post about 3 years

Be very careful! I was testing F6 on two small side projects and it was A LOT of trouble and generated many hours of work! With some experience in CSS and JS you can find your way around, but be prepared for trouble! F6 is still not battle hardened, so you will be the lab rat.
Finally you have to test for yourself with your project, but look at these facts:

Zurb developers changed JS completely in F6 release version - try hard to understand what that means!
There is NO TESTING OF ANY KIND IN F6 - try hard to understand what that means!
Many small problems, e.g. with async loading, see bug reports. Bad for mobile.

Also currently there is no concept (at least I could not find one) for a no-javascript fallback for the components that need javascript - a good framework should provide some kind of solution for clients without javascript, so no content is hidden. Must build yourself! 
If you are ready for the pain, be prepared to spend some extra time.
If you need to build a site and this is critical about time and money - I wold not recommend F6 right now. Maybe in a year.
That said, still F6 has some nice ideas, modularization of components is interesting, I still like many things better than with other frameworks (personal preference), however I will test BT4 alpha to see what the other guys are doing. It would be great if F6 had some testing (they are working on it) and if the modularization would lead to a bigger collection of components, like having css only menus and other things that are more up2date and work without JS. Also better ReactJS-Readiness would be fine (look at semantic ui), yes, and of course any kind of "skinability"...
If you have a serious budget for a big project and have people with lots of CSS and JS experience on board - then please USE IT and submit lots of pull requests to make F6 better!
Ah, and there is one more meta-annoyance: it is not possible to filter this forum for F6 - so it is very time intensive to find actual F6 problems and their solutions, because you can not search for e.g. "menu" in all postings tagged with F6, you always search everything. This is something that zurb could change in one day and save A LOT of time to many people.
Good Luck!

COLABORATI commented on COLABORATI's post over 3 years

Ok, I did now this:

html {
@include breakpoint(medium down) {
font-size: 90%;
}
}

will this have side-effects on any foundation scss things or is there a better / recommended way to do this?
Thanks again!

It still would be great to have an "official" explanation by the creators for this very common use case.
Even better, an official top-bar-center class would help with this very much.

I mean, ok, we have margin-left: auto and margin-right: auto and I apply this to the ul of the menu items, however I wonder if there is a recommended way that will not break things. Currently I am using this traditional approach::

ul.center-buttons {
  width: 900px;
  margin-left:auto;
  margin-right:auto;
}

and I am adding a top-bar-center class with text-align:center to the surrounding div.

A simple example would be great,
thanks for your attention!

yes, thank you, but the file structure is the minor problem here, the major problem is that your example just produces a layout that is unusable, far away from the F5 top bar. It would be very appreciated if you reviewed your example and presented a part II with a real, usable replica of the F5 top bar.

Thank you very much for your attention!

Posts Followed

Following

No Content

Followers

My Posts

My Comments

You commented on COLABORATI's post about 3 years

Hi, rafi, you still did not correct the example - it is still not a good example, it is not usable at all. Would you please like to correct it?

You commented on Kevin Ball's post about 3 years

It would be great to see if you guys set your priorities like this:

fix foundation 6 for sites - there are so many issues with the F6 release, it is not funny
add a decent test suite for Foundation 6
then add some filtering to this forum software - the navigation is so limited, it is nearly impossible to find things, it is an information graveyard. One indicator for this is that people are asking the same things over and over again. Just copy and paste some old school forum board architecture and it will be much better to use. Also please add the possibility to search in posts filtered by tags, or even better add categories for F5, F6 etc, integrate the fact, that your products have versions.
then again go and fix F6 (all the new problems)
then you might slowly start think about doing something new.

On Inky: Please embrace existing standards and do not invent  "the very special zurb template language".
This comment stinks unfriendly, I know, but I write this because I totally like the core of your ideas - they are very good, indeed!
However, execution is too sloppy - you could make so much more out of it if you would try to work with more intensity, if you worked with real devotion and more seriousness on these things. This is something missing in all the Zurb products. You have good ideas, but why don't you try to get to 110%? Please, more real devotion! Again - I like your things, but I see that there is too much sloppiness. Please, try to lift yourself up to another level of production quality.

You commented on Jean-Pol Dupont's post about 3 years

wow, also now I get 500 server errors with this forum and see that posts have still been posted two times - well, sorry for that, there just seems to be some problem with their rails setup.

You commented on Jean-Pol Dupont's post about 3 years

Be very careful! I was testing F6 on two small side projects and it was A LOT of trouble and generated many hours of work! With some experience in CSS and JS you can find your way around, but be prepared for trouble! F6 is still not battle hardened, so you will be the lab rat.
Finally you have to test for yourself with your project, but look at these facts:

Zurb developers changed JS completely in F6 release version - try hard to understand what that means!
There is NO TESTING OF ANY KIND IN F6 - try hard to understand what that means!
Many small problems, e.g. with async loading, see bug reports. Bad for mobile.

Also currently there is no concept (at least I could not find one) for a no-javascript fallback for the components that need javascript - a good framework should provide some kind of solution for clients without javascript, so no content is hidden. Must build yourself! 
If you are ready for the pain, be prepared to spend some extra time.
If you need to build a site and this is critical about time and money - I wold not recommend F6 right now. Maybe in a year.
That said, still F6 has some nice ideas, modularization of components is interesting, I still like many things better than with other frameworks (personal preference), however I will test BT4 alpha to see what the other guys are doing. It would be great if F6 had some testing (they are working on it) and if the modularization would lead to a bigger collection of components, like having css only menus and other things that are more up2date and work without JS. Also better ReactJS-Readiness would be fine (look at semantic ui), yes, and of course any kind of "skinability"...
If you have a serious budget for a big project and have people with lots of CSS and JS experience on board - then please USE IT and submit lots of pull requests to make F6 better!
Ah, and there is one more meta-annoyance: it is not possible to filter this forum for F6 - so it is very time intensive to find actual F6 problems and their solutions, because you can not search for e.g. "menu" in all postings tagged with F6, you always search everything. This is something that zurb could change in one day and save A LOT of time to many people.
Good Luck!

You commented on COLABORATI's post over 3 years

Ok, I did now this:

html {
@include breakpoint(medium down) {
font-size: 90%;
}
}

will this have side-effects on any foundation scss things or is there a better / recommended way to do this?
Thanks again!

It still would be great to have an "official" explanation by the creators for this very common use case.
Even better, an official top-bar-center class would help with this very much.

I mean, ok, we have margin-left: auto and margin-right: auto and I apply this to the ul of the menu items, however I wonder if there is a recommended way that will not break things. Currently I am using this traditional approach::

ul.center-buttons {
  width: 900px;
  margin-left:auto;
  margin-right:auto;
}

and I am adding a top-bar-center class with text-align:center to the surrounding div.

A simple example would be great,
thanks for your attention!

yes, thank you, but the file structure is the minor problem here, the major problem is that your example just produces a layout that is unusable, far away from the F5 top bar. It would be very appreciated if you reviewed your example and presented a part II with a real, usable replica of the F5 top bar.

Thank you very much for your attention!

Posts Followed

Following

• No Content

Followers

• No Content