Menu icon Foundation

My Posts

Replies
  • Using Scout for F5

By Brenda Richardson

scoutFoundation 5

HI folks, I'm what you might call a learner - I'm only just getting to know F5 and have discovered that working with sass is absolutely the way to go. I'm not too keen on the whole set up via the terminal it's way out of my league but I have got scou... (continued)

Last Reply by Wing-Hou Chan over 5 years ago

My Comments

Brenda Richardson commented on Brenda Richardson's post over 5 years

Hi guys thanks so much for your help. Rafi I have seen the video and it looks pretty simple -it's first installing git and Node.js that was putting me off. I have read here in the forums of so many people having problems with this- even developers. I just know html css and a little sass so I think I'll stick with an app.

Wing-Hou I was hoping you would see my post ! Yes, I am actually compiling css succesfully and am relieved to hear in a way that there is nothing more to it. I don't see how downloading foundation to update is such a big inconvenience really unless I'm missing something.

So for now it's back to learning sass so I can make the very most of scout. I might look at codekit down the line or even the terminal but I'll stick with scout until I see a reason not to.

You have both been a great help and made my first time to reach out on a forum a positive experience.

Thanks again.

Brenda Richardson commented on samjin's post over 5 years

HI guys,

I'm new to F5 and scout but I'm determined to use both and am trying them out tonight. There is zero assistance on line for this set up so I hope you guys can tell me how it all pieces together. I started with a fresh install of F5(css version as someone on here recommended) . I added the sass files from git hub and set up input and output folders correctly ( I think ) in scout. When I make chages to _settings.scss nothing is happening. Should I be using Foundation sass version and updating app.scss.

As you can see I only have a vague idea of what I should be doing - not my fault there is no help out there on this topic! I know I'm close so I would be super grateful if someone could spell out the set up for me.
Cheers

Brenda Richardson commented on Brian Hughes's post over 5 years

Brian,

If you go to the search bar and type in 'scout'. A thread called 'detailed installation of F5' or something similar. Read it , I think Scout looks like a great alternative to using the terminal. It does all of the heavy lifting for you. Now just to figure out how it works with Foundation5 - I don't think there is anything difficult about it. There are two videos on you tube demonstrating how to use Scout.

Good luck!

Brenda Richardson commented on Brian Hughes's post over 5 years

Hi Brian,

I just wanted to let you know that I am in exactly the same position. I love foundation and really want to use it with sass. Having followed Jen kramers videos on Linda I was really hopeful that I was underway until it dawned on me that she was using 4 and not 5.

There is a video on here somewhere which is quite clear and helpful but it only outlines installing Bower, compass etc and incorporating them into your new project - great , but the assumption is that you have already installed Ruby 1.9, Node.js and Git. I've fallen at the first hurdle - my mac won't install git , downloaded directly from Github ??. I've searched extensively for good tutorials but can't find what I'm looking for.
I don't think what we need exists i.e a thorough tutorial. Lets just hope someone takes pity on us and offers some advice to get us started.

Good luck and if i find any answers I'll get back to you. : )

Posts Followed

Following

No Content

Followers

My Posts

My Comments

You commented on Brenda Richardson's post over 5 years

Hi guys thanks so much for your help. Rafi I have seen the video and it looks pretty simple -it's first installing git and Node.js that was putting me off. I have read here in the forums of so many people having problems with this- even developers. I just know html css and a little sass so I think I'll stick with an app.

Wing-Hou I was hoping you would see my post ! Yes, I am actually compiling css succesfully and am relieved to hear in a way that there is nothing more to it. I don't see how downloading foundation to update is such a big inconvenience really unless I'm missing something.

So for now it's back to learning sass so I can make the very most of scout. I might look at codekit down the line or even the terminal but I'll stick with scout until I see a reason not to.

You have both been a great help and made my first time to reach out on a forum a positive experience.

Thanks again.

You commented on samjin's post over 5 years

HI guys,

I'm new to F5 and scout but I'm determined to use both and am trying them out tonight. There is zero assistance on line for this set up so I hope you guys can tell me how it all pieces together. I started with a fresh install of F5(css version as someone on here recommended) . I added the sass files from git hub and set up input and output folders correctly ( I think ) in scout. When I make chages to _settings.scss nothing is happening. Should I be using Foundation sass version and updating app.scss.

As you can see I only have a vague idea of what I should be doing - not my fault there is no help out there on this topic! I know I'm close so I would be super grateful if someone could spell out the set up for me.
Cheers

You commented on Brian Hughes's post over 5 years

Brian,

If you go to the search bar and type in 'scout'. A thread called 'detailed installation of F5' or something similar. Read it , I think Scout looks like a great alternative to using the terminal. It does all of the heavy lifting for you. Now just to figure out how it works with Foundation5 - I don't think there is anything difficult about it. There are two videos on you tube demonstrating how to use Scout.

Good luck!

You commented on Brian Hughes's post over 5 years

Hi Brian,

I just wanted to let you know that I am in exactly the same position. I love foundation and really want to use it with sass. Having followed Jen kramers videos on Linda I was really hopeful that I was underway until it dawned on me that she was using 4 and not 5.

There is a video on here somewhere which is quite clear and helpful but it only outlines installing Bower, compass etc and incorporating them into your new project - great , but the assumption is that you have already installed Ruby 1.9, Node.js and Git. I've fallen at the first hurdle - my mac won't install git , downloaded directly from Github ??. I've searched extensively for good tutorials but can't find what I'm looking for.
I don't think what we need exists i.e a thorough tutorial. Lets just hope someone takes pity on us and offers some advice to get us started.

Good luck and if i find any answers I'll get back to you. : )

Posts Followed

Following

• No Content

Followers

• No Content