Menu icon Foundation

Developer

My Posts

Replies
  • Sass and normalize.css

By Brian

Sasscss

Hello, I'm using Foundation 5.3.0 (Foundation for Sites) and I'm using Sass with Compass. I recently read an article about using normalize.css for browser resets and also for HTML 5 support. However, after I created my Foundation 5.3.0 Sass project an ... (continued)

Last Reply by Wing-Hou Chan over 5 years ago

Replies
  • Setup Foundation on OS X

By Brian

OS XFoundation 5

Hello, I have never used Foundation on OS X or any version of an Apple OS for that matter so I'm not sure what I need to do to get Foundation 5 up and running on my MacBook. I use Foundation 5 on my PC with no issues after installed Git, Ruby and Node.... (continued)

Last Reply by Brian over 5 years ago

• SASS and Compass

By Brian

FoundationSassscsscompass

I'm a little confused with the steps in this link http://foundation.zurb.com/docs/sass.html. I'm able to create a SASS project by running the command "foundation new MY_PROJECT" which adds all the files but by running this command does it automatically ad... (continued)

Last Reply by Eric almost 6 years ago

Replies
  • Unable to get SASS working

By Brian

FoundationSass

I have performed the following steps at this page http://foundation.zurb.com/docs/sass.html multiple times. I cannot get the step "Using Foundation With Compass" to work at all. I open my command prompt in windows and type "foundation new template" ... (continued)

Last Reply by Brian almost 6 years ago

My Comments

Brian commented on Brian's post almost 5 years

Hi Rafi,

Yes, that is what I'm looking for. Can you please also show my how to do the following above like you did but this time add my .svg logo in the middle of the top-bar with some of my navigation on the left and right side? If you can that would be great and I would not have to add a new post for that.

Brian commented on Brian's post over 5 years

@reenan arbitrario,

Ok, I imported the normalize.scss file into the app.scss file using compass watch and it modified my app.css file.

I have a general questions though. What is the difference between the app.scss and settings.scss? When I makes changes to the settings.scss file it changes my app.css so why can't I add the import to settings.scss instead of app.scss?

Also, I don't have an app.scss file. I make my changes to the _system.scss file which then compass creates / updates my app.css file. Is that ok?

@reenan arbitration,

Thank you for that info!

Now for an odd question, what exactly does the normalize.css do? I know that's a dumb question but I don't see a difference adding that to compared to not having it. Is it truly needed for the responsive design or to just clear browser settings to default?

Also, I added HTML 5 Header, Nav, Article, Section, and Aside and everything seems fine without the normalize.css. I thought normalize.css was suppose to add properties for support of HTML 5.

Thank you both for the info!!!!

Now just so I understand, we're is the normalize.scss file and how and we're do I import that at? Do I import the normalize.scss file into the _settings.scss file since that file gets converted to the app.css file? Sorry, but still learning the inner workings of sass.

Do i need to install Git, Ruby and Node if I were to use CodeKit 2? Or will CodeKit 2 automatically install them? Also, will CodeKit 2 always use the latest Foundation 5 updates when Foundation releases them or do they wait to verify no issues.

Hi Lance,

Thank you for that feedback. So, just so I understand should I do the following below in the order I have listed from top to bottom? If not, which other method do you suggest to install Git, Ruby and Node for OS X users for Foundation?

Install Git first:
https://mac.github.com/

Install Ruby:
?
Since Ruby is already installed by default. Can I update Ruby in the OS X terminal? If so, what command do I need to run to update Ruby in the terminal rather than using a third party utility?

Install Node.js:
http://nodejs.org/download/
Should I use the link labeled "Universal" for Mac OS X Installer (.pkg) on this site?

Hi Samuel,

Ok, awesome. Should I assume that I can also download node.js from this site instead of using Homebrew http://nodejs.org/download/?

Also, if Ruby comes preinstalled on OS X then how can you update it? What command would I run in the terminal to update Ruby?

Also, this is a very sad question to ask. Please don't laugh :) But can you or someone explain what Git, Ruby and Node.js are and how they fit into Foundation?

Hi Samuel,

Based on what Lance said Ruby should already be installed on OS X?

I saw nothing explaining how to install Git from the link you supplied.

Hi Lance,

Thank you for replying back with that info. I'm very new to OS X along with the terminal in OS X, I've been a PC guy for many years and just now switching over to a Mac :)

So far I'm able to follow along with what you supplied above. But is there another way to install Git and Node without using Homebrew (just curious)? In other words am I able to download and install Git and Node from an executable within OS X to have those installed rather than using Homebrew? Also, is Ruby always installed on OS X and how can I update Ruby if need be on OS X?

Now as for creating a project for foundation using the terminal. Do I just need to cd to the directory where I want to create my project in? Is there a recommended location on the Mac that is common to create projects in or is it just user preference?

Posts Followed

No Content

Following

No Content

Followers

My Posts

My Comments

You commented on Brian's post almost 5 years

Hi Rafi,

Yes, that is what I'm looking for. Can you please also show my how to do the following above like you did but this time add my .svg logo in the middle of the top-bar with some of my navigation on the left and right side? If you can that would be great and I would not have to add a new post for that.

You commented on Brian's post over 5 years

@reenan arbitrario,

Ok, I imported the normalize.scss file into the app.scss file using compass watch and it modified my app.css file.

I have a general questions though. What is the difference between the app.scss and settings.scss? When I makes changes to the settings.scss file it changes my app.css so why can't I add the import to settings.scss instead of app.scss?

Also, I don't have an app.scss file. I make my changes to the _system.scss file which then compass creates / updates my app.css file. Is that ok?

@reenan arbitration,

Thank you for that info!

Now for an odd question, what exactly does the normalize.css do? I know that's a dumb question but I don't see a difference adding that to compared to not having it. Is it truly needed for the responsive design or to just clear browser settings to default?

Also, I added HTML 5 Header, Nav, Article, Section, and Aside and everything seems fine without the normalize.css. I thought normalize.css was suppose to add properties for support of HTML 5.

Thank you both for the info!!!!

Now just so I understand, we're is the normalize.scss file and how and we're do I import that at? Do I import the normalize.scss file into the _settings.scss file since that file gets converted to the app.css file? Sorry, but still learning the inner workings of sass.

Do i need to install Git, Ruby and Node if I were to use CodeKit 2? Or will CodeKit 2 automatically install them? Also, will CodeKit 2 always use the latest Foundation 5 updates when Foundation releases them or do they wait to verify no issues.

Hi Lance,

Thank you for that feedback. So, just so I understand should I do the following below in the order I have listed from top to bottom? If not, which other method do you suggest to install Git, Ruby and Node for OS X users for Foundation?

Install Git first:
https://mac.github.com/

Install Ruby:
?
Since Ruby is already installed by default. Can I update Ruby in the OS X terminal? If so, what command do I need to run to update Ruby in the terminal rather than using a third party utility?

Install Node.js:
http://nodejs.org/download/
Should I use the link labeled "Universal" for Mac OS X Installer (.pkg) on this site?

Hi Samuel,

Ok, awesome. Should I assume that I can also download node.js from this site instead of using Homebrew http://nodejs.org/download/?

Also, if Ruby comes preinstalled on OS X then how can you update it? What command would I run in the terminal to update Ruby?

Also, this is a very sad question to ask. Please don't laugh :) But can you or someone explain what Git, Ruby and Node.js are and how they fit into Foundation?

Hi Samuel,

Based on what Lance said Ruby should already be installed on OS X?

I saw nothing explaining how to install Git from the link you supplied.

Hi Lance,

Thank you for replying back with that info. I'm very new to OS X along with the terminal in OS X, I've been a PC guy for many years and just now switching over to a Mac :)

So far I'm able to follow along with what you supplied above. But is there another way to install Git and Node without using Homebrew (just curious)? In other words am I able to download and install Git and Node from an executable within OS X to have those installed rather than using Homebrew? Also, is Ruby always installed on OS X and how can I update Ruby if need be on OS X?

Now as for creating a project for foundation using the terminal. Do I just need to cd to the directory where I want to create my project in? Is there a recommended location on the Mac that is common to create projects in or is it just user preference?

Posts Followed

No Content

Following

• No Content

Followers

• No Content