Menu icon Foundation

My Posts

Replies
  • Invoke Foundation?

By Sherry Bradford

Foundationjs

I have to add a bunch of shivs (thankfully found on this site and working really well!!!!) to make my Foundation-based site work on IE11 in compatibility view (10/9). While learning and getting all the shivs in place, one of the folks included the followi... (continued)

Last Reply by Sherry Bradford over 1 year ago

My Comments

Sherry Bradford commented on Sherry Bradford's post over 2 years

@Clifton Canady Well, would that the world were perfect, but alas 'tis not. I work for a major airline and our corporate intranet is on IE8 - and likely will be for at LEAST another 6 months. And we are not alone in the corporate world, unfortunately. Our intranet itself could easily "flip the switch" and be on IE11 - but we host numerous applications whose interfaces will not function within IE8 - and thus we have to wait for money/time to be spent for them to change before we can do so. I'm just DELIGHTED that my little corner of the intranet at least gets to work with HTML5/CSS3 to the extent possible.

BITTEN BY IE8 AGAIN!!!!

This makes me crazy. The environment in which I must develop is set up for IE11 ONLY (don't EVEN get me started on how insane this is). But our actual environment is IE8. So adding position:absolute works great in IE11 - but will not work at all with IE8 (i have a gazillion shivs already taking care of just about everything possible and they aren't helping with this).

So IE8 is completely ignoring the position:absolute, doesn't line up to the left and so doesn't apply any of the left/top alignment.

AARGHHHHH......

You ROCK! Thank you!

Sherry Bradford commented on James Cocker's post over 2 years

Jordi - I have not tried with 5.5. I am using 5.2 and I found that it was very important WHERE I put the shivs and the items at the close of the page AND it was also very important that I use IF lte IE 8 and not just IF lt IE9. IE 9 seems to work OK with most of the things I needed to do - and for whatever reason, my shiv statements were being ignored until I switched to lte IE 8. I also had to put the respond.min.js up right under the last css in the head for it to work correctly. I hope that helps and perhaps is something you can try to see if it helps with 5.5. What are you trying to accomplish with the css? Just the grid or something more spectacular? So far I have been able to get pretty much everything to work that I have tried - but again my site is not super complicated. Some elements I use in addition to the grid functionality are cards, slider, and getting ready to add the accordion feature. Responsive works to the level that I am able to correctly set up the grid - but that is more user error/lack of skills than the tool so far.

Good luck! If you need to see how I laid out my header and shivs, and what I put at the end before the close, I'll be happy to post those.

Thank you! Needless to say, will be sooooo glad when we move off IE8.....

Thank you!!!! Appreciate the very quick response. You ROCK!

Sherry Bradford commented on Riandy Satria Putra's post over 2 years

I have found the Jakob Nielsen studies very helpful for overall usability. Although some of the studies are very expensive to purchase they are also quite thorough. Their newsletter and online free resources are packed with a lot of good information as well. Along with the look and feel, another important factor is correct grammar and spelling. Many teams overlook these elements in the quest for the overall graphic appeal. However, when creating a site for professional service offerings it remains an essential usability and trust component of the overall design.

Thank you so much! I will watch the video and follow your suggestions. This is exactly the info I needed! Have a great day!

You all ROCK! That fixed it immediately! I changed at the css level and documented my code so I would understand the behavior if I suddenly needed them to have a wider spacing. Thank you so much! I'm fortunate that this particular project is using this set of small buttons for the same thing across multiple pages so this was a perfect fix!

Sherry Bradford commented on James Cocker's post over 2 years

@Gavin - I tried Glen Phillips code, but it didn't work for me and I suspect it is a user issue and not the code. I am so raw/new at this that a lot of pieces are still waiting to come together in my head. The rem polyfill so far hasn't been an issue but I'll keep an eye on this and appreciate the heads up. I have the basic grid working now - but am getting ready to begin making some additional changes, adding more elements, etc., so I'm sure I'm going to be back here pouring over the posts again! Appreciate that people are still updating here!

Posts Followed

No Content

Following

No Content

Followers

My Posts

My Comments

You commented on Sherry Bradford's post over 2 years

@Clifton Canady Well, would that the world were perfect, but alas 'tis not. I work for a major airline and our corporate intranet is on IE8 - and likely will be for at LEAST another 6 months. And we are not alone in the corporate world, unfortunately. Our intranet itself could easily "flip the switch" and be on IE11 - but we host numerous applications whose interfaces will not function within IE8 - and thus we have to wait for money/time to be spent for them to change before we can do so. I'm just DELIGHTED that my little corner of the intranet at least gets to work with HTML5/CSS3 to the extent possible.

BITTEN BY IE8 AGAIN!!!!

This makes me crazy. The environment in which I must develop is set up for IE11 ONLY (don't EVEN get me started on how insane this is). But our actual environment is IE8. So adding position:absolute works great in IE11 - but will not work at all with IE8 (i have a gazillion shivs already taking care of just about everything possible and they aren't helping with this).

So IE8 is completely ignoring the position:absolute, doesn't line up to the left and so doesn't apply any of the left/top alignment.

AARGHHHHH......

You ROCK! Thank you!

You commented on James Cocker's post over 2 years

Jordi - I have not tried with 5.5. I am using 5.2 and I found that it was very important WHERE I put the shivs and the items at the close of the page AND it was also very important that I use IF lte IE 8 and not just IF lt IE9. IE 9 seems to work OK with most of the things I needed to do - and for whatever reason, my shiv statements were being ignored until I switched to lte IE 8. I also had to put the respond.min.js up right under the last css in the head for it to work correctly. I hope that helps and perhaps is something you can try to see if it helps with 5.5. What are you trying to accomplish with the css? Just the grid or something more spectacular? So far I have been able to get pretty much everything to work that I have tried - but again my site is not super complicated. Some elements I use in addition to the grid functionality are cards, slider, and getting ready to add the accordion feature. Responsive works to the level that I am able to correctly set up the grid - but that is more user error/lack of skills than the tool so far.

Good luck! If you need to see how I laid out my header and shivs, and what I put at the end before the close, I'll be happy to post those.

Thank you! Needless to say, will be sooooo glad when we move off IE8.....

Thank you!!!! Appreciate the very quick response. You ROCK!

You commented on Riandy Satria Putra's post over 2 years

I have found the Jakob Nielsen studies very helpful for overall usability. Although some of the studies are very expensive to purchase they are also quite thorough. Their newsletter and online free resources are packed with a lot of good information as well. Along with the look and feel, another important factor is correct grammar and spelling. Many teams overlook these elements in the quest for the overall graphic appeal. However, when creating a site for professional service offerings it remains an essential usability and trust component of the overall design.

Thank you so much! I will watch the video and follow your suggestions. This is exactly the info I needed! Have a great day!

You all ROCK! That fixed it immediately! I changed at the css level and documented my code so I would understand the behavior if I suddenly needed them to have a wider spacing. Thank you so much! I'm fortunate that this particular project is using this set of small buttons for the same thing across multiple pages so this was a perfect fix!

You commented on James Cocker's post over 2 years

@Gavin - I tried Glen Phillips code, but it didn't work for me and I suspect it is a user issue and not the code. I am so raw/new at this that a lot of pieces are still waiting to come together in my head. The rem polyfill so far hasn't been an issue but I'll keep an eye on this and appreciate the heads up. I have the basic grid working now - but am getting ready to begin making some additional changes, adding more elements, etc., so I'm sure I'm going to be back here pouring over the posts again! Appreciate that people are still updating here!

Posts Followed

No Content

Following

• No Content

Followers

• No Content