Menu icon Foundation

My Posts

My Comments

Mike Weisz commented on Mike Weisz's post over 4 years

I think the main reason is that Bootstrap was simply first to market with such a tool so they got a huge crowd of developer support from the start. Foundation came later and I think it's a sort of catch-22 situation where users aren't as interested since there's not many tools out there by developers and developers aren't making tools because users aren't talking about Foundation. Bootstrap has so many various plugins/widgets that it becomes the choice for developers simply due to the large amount of open-source available and also being able to browse those UI components to gather ideas/inspiration. Even that being so, I'm still surprised how little there is... Foundation isn't exactly new and I thought there'd be a correlation with the increase of interest in SASS.

Mike Weisz commented on Mike Weisz's post over 4 years

Yeah I'm pretty happy with it too... love using Sass for the grid system and whatnot. Typically if I find a Bootstrap plugin I want, I'll just redo their CSS with Sass and if they use a Bootstrap alert box then i'll swap it with Foundation's alert mixin and so forth. And of course the styling agnostic typical jQuery plugins, no issue there.. just add it and I'm good. I guess what I miss is finding lot of variations on the bootstrap styling of components, larger components created from smaller styling pieces, and the more complex JS controls that use the underlying Foundation ones which would be more trouble than worth to swap out implementations to use existing code meant for Bootstrap. I miss being able to search and discover different ideas like these and get some existing code to start working with and molding. I just find it funny that when searching for Foundation plugins, I don't even get a full first page of relevant results in Google.

Posts Followed

No Content

Following

No Content

Followers

My Posts

My Comments

You commented on Mike Weisz's post over 4 years

I think the main reason is that Bootstrap was simply first to market with such a tool so they got a huge crowd of developer support from the start. Foundation came later and I think it's a sort of catch-22 situation where users aren't as interested since there's not many tools out there by developers and developers aren't making tools because users aren't talking about Foundation. Bootstrap has so many various plugins/widgets that it becomes the choice for developers simply due to the large amount of open-source available and also being able to browse those UI components to gather ideas/inspiration. Even that being so, I'm still surprised how little there is... Foundation isn't exactly new and I thought there'd be a correlation with the increase of interest in SASS.

You commented on Mike Weisz's post over 4 years

Yeah I'm pretty happy with it too... love using Sass for the grid system and whatnot. Typically if I find a Bootstrap plugin I want, I'll just redo their CSS with Sass and if they use a Bootstrap alert box then i'll swap it with Foundation's alert mixin and so forth. And of course the styling agnostic typical jQuery plugins, no issue there.. just add it and I'm good. I guess what I miss is finding lot of variations on the bootstrap styling of components, larger components created from smaller styling pieces, and the more complex JS controls that use the underlying Foundation ones which would be more trouble than worth to swap out implementations to use existing code meant for Bootstrap. I miss being able to search and discover different ideas like these and get some existing code to start working with and molding. I just find it funny that when searching for Foundation plugins, I don't even get a full first page of relevant results in Google.

Posts Followed

No Content

Following

• No Content

Followers

• No Content