Menu icon Foundation

My Posts

No Content

My Comments

Kean Johnston commented on Kean Johnston's post about 4 years

I solved this problem by moving Modernizr to the end of the document rather than having it in the head. Took me a LONG time to figure out that was the problem. I hope this helps someone else.

Kean Johnston commented on Erik Krause's post about 4 years

I know this is an old post but I am hoping this will save someone else all the time it took me to diagnose this. As described at http://foundation.zurb.com/forum/posts/24288-unsightly-screen-redraw-in-chrome I was having an issue with a FOUC in Chrome 42 and above. I finally tracked down what was causing this. Turns out it was Modernizr.

As it does it's work detecting things, if you have Modernizr in the , it will create a element (because one doesn't exist yet) and insert content and style in order to perform it's tests. This new, mostly blank except for the test body causes Chrome to render a blank page which, when the rest of the document loads and the real body is loaded, creates the actual body over the blank FOUC'ed page. By moving Modernizr to the end of the document, to just before loading jQuery and Foundation, the FOUC mentioned above seems to go away.

Kean Johnston commented on Kean Johnston's post over 4 years

Another data point. I just tried this on an older Debian system I have where I still have Chrome 41 installed, and I also do not see the error. So this is looking more and more like a Chrome bug, but I do find it odd that a site using an earlier version of foundation does not exhibit the problem, so something in Foundation is triggering the Chrome bug.

Rafi, I am surprised it does not reproduce for you. It shows up for me on Windows, Mac and Linux, and for 2 colleagues using their Macs. I've only asked those two so from where I sit, so far 100% of the people I've asked, it shows up for them. I wonder what is different about our setup and yours.

I suspect that there is both a bug in Foundation and Chrome, but that's just a "gut feel", I have no concrete evidence for that. All I know is a competing site, using Foundation 2, doesn't have this problem. So I suspect that a bug in Foundation 5 is exposing a bug in Chrome.

Here's a video showing the problem. I believe it should be accessible to anyone with this link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5QSVOs89Uu9cHdXZjBqMmczdUE&authuser=0

I clicked on the "Learn" menu item 5 times, roughly one second apart. As you can see the screen flashes white before redrawing 4 out of the 5 times. It does this 0 times in FF, Safari and IE 11.

That may only be a problem with the latest Chrome. I don't recall seeing this problem before and recently updated. Please ensure you are running the latest (or at least the version I posted above).

Thanks for any help.

Hmm. Perhaps it's a recent Chrome bug? I am using Version 42.0.2311.90 m of Chrome on Windows 7, and Version 42.0.2311.90 (64-bit) on Linux. However, I do suspect Foundation. Another website (my competition) is using a prehistoric version of Foundation and this problem does not occur on Chrome. Of course there are many other differences between my site and theirs so this is hardly conclusive, but the fact that it does it on the Foundation homepage itself leads me to believe that it really is a Foundation issue.

Posts Followed

Following

No Content

Followers

My Posts

No Content

My Comments

You commented on Kean Johnston's post about 4 years

I solved this problem by moving Modernizr to the end of the document rather than having it in the head. Took me a LONG time to figure out that was the problem. I hope this helps someone else.

You commented on Erik Krause's post about 4 years

I know this is an old post but I am hoping this will save someone else all the time it took me to diagnose this. As described at http://foundation.zurb.com/forum/posts/24288-unsightly-screen-redraw-in-chrome I was having an issue with a FOUC in Chrome 42 and above. I finally tracked down what was causing this. Turns out it was Modernizr.

As it does it's work detecting things, if you have Modernizr in the , it will create a element (because one doesn't exist yet) and insert content and style in order to perform it's tests. This new, mostly blank except for the test body causes Chrome to render a blank page which, when the rest of the document loads and the real body is loaded, creates the actual body over the blank FOUC'ed page. By moving Modernizr to the end of the document, to just before loading jQuery and Foundation, the FOUC mentioned above seems to go away.

You commented on Kean Johnston's post over 4 years

Another data point. I just tried this on an older Debian system I have where I still have Chrome 41 installed, and I also do not see the error. So this is looking more and more like a Chrome bug, but I do find it odd that a site using an earlier version of foundation does not exhibit the problem, so something in Foundation is triggering the Chrome bug.

Rafi, I am surprised it does not reproduce for you. It shows up for me on Windows, Mac and Linux, and for 2 colleagues using their Macs. I've only asked those two so from where I sit, so far 100% of the people I've asked, it shows up for them. I wonder what is different about our setup and yours.

I suspect that there is both a bug in Foundation and Chrome, but that's just a "gut feel", I have no concrete evidence for that. All I know is a competing site, using Foundation 2, doesn't have this problem. So I suspect that a bug in Foundation 5 is exposing a bug in Chrome.

Here's a video showing the problem. I believe it should be accessible to anyone with this link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5QSVOs89Uu9cHdXZjBqMmczdUE&authuser=0

I clicked on the "Learn" menu item 5 times, roughly one second apart. As you can see the screen flashes white before redrawing 4 out of the 5 times. It does this 0 times in FF, Safari and IE 11.

That may only be a problem with the latest Chrome. I don't recall seeing this problem before and recently updated. Please ensure you are running the latest (or at least the version I posted above).

Thanks for any help.

Hmm. Perhaps it's a recent Chrome bug? I am using Version 42.0.2311.90 m of Chrome on Windows 7, and Version 42.0.2311.90 (64-bit) on Linux. However, I do suspect Foundation. Another website (my competition) is using a prehistoric version of Foundation and this problem does not occur on Chrome. Of course there are many other differences between my site and theirs so this is hardly conclusive, but the fact that it does it on the Foundation homepage itself leads me to believe that it really is a Foundation issue.

Posts Followed

Following

• No Content

Followers

• No Content