Menu icon Foundation

Engineer

This dropdown rocks. Full-Stack Technical Polymath / System Administrator

My Posts

• What's with the youtube link spam?

By jf

spam

I'm not too sure whether this is just "now"... or has been going on for a while now. I bloody hate spam, youtube links or not, and I'll be damned if this place has to go to the pigs as well. Are the admins looking into this?

Last Reply by Rafi Benkual over 4 years ago

Replies
  • Foundation for Email = ?

By jf

faqemail

This is actually (believe it or not) the first time I'm hearing about Foundation for Email, through this forum (and seeing the "Select a Framework" choices when creating a new post). What is it exactly, and how do I find out more about it? It's not exactl... (continued)

Last Reply by Rafi Benkual over 4 years ago

My Comments

jf commented on jf's post over 4 years

Great. Thanks, Bob!

jf commented on jf's post over 4 years

The buttons will be and we won't style button tags by default.

Sorry, but I dont get what you mean. Can I still use <button class="button"> and have it look like it does now, like <a class="button">?

Buttons can be tabbed to by default so you don't need a tab-index.

Actual <button>s, yes. But not <a class="button">s!

Can you explain this a bit more?

Unfortunately, when you've got a div or a span, you can't. So is this really useful, or even constructive?)

To answer your question, let me quote that entire paragraph:

(Small aside: the line that mentions using other elements, I have a problem with. Quote: "If there is no <a href=""> then simply add the tabindex="0" to the div or span to make it focusable." If a button is focusable, I expect to be able to trigger it with the spacebar. Or the Enter key. Unfortunately, when you've got a div or a span, you can't. So is this really useful, or even constructive?)

My point is making a div or a span button focusable is just bad UI when you can't do anything with it. The point of making a UI element focusable is so that you can do something with it. Tab to a text input? You can type in it. Tab to a select input? You can choose from it using the arrow keys. Tab to a button? You can hit the spacebar. Well unfortunately when you've got a button-like div or span, and you make that focusable, you set up false expectations where the UI is concerned, because you won't be able to hit the spacebar and trigger the "button".

Posts Followed

Following

No Content

Followers

My Posts

My Comments

You commented on jf's post over 4 years

Great. Thanks, Bob!

You commented on jf's post over 4 years

The buttons will be and we won't style button tags by default.

Sorry, but I dont get what you mean. Can I still use <button class="button"> and have it look like it does now, like <a class="button">?

Buttons can be tabbed to by default so you don't need a tab-index.

Actual <button>s, yes. But not <a class="button">s!

Can you explain this a bit more?

Unfortunately, when you've got a div or a span, you can't. So is this really useful, or even constructive?)

To answer your question, let me quote that entire paragraph:

(Small aside: the line that mentions using other elements, I have a problem with. Quote: "If there is no <a href=""> then simply add the tabindex="0" to the div or span to make it focusable." If a button is focusable, I expect to be able to trigger it with the spacebar. Or the Enter key. Unfortunately, when you've got a div or a span, you can't. So is this really useful, or even constructive?)

My point is making a div or a span button focusable is just bad UI when you can't do anything with it. The point of making a UI element focusable is so that you can do something with it. Tab to a text input? You can type in it. Tab to a select input? You can choose from it using the arrow keys. Tab to a button? You can hit the spacebar. Well unfortunately when you've got a button-like div or span, and you make that focusable, you set up false expectations where the UI is concerned, because you won't be able to hit the spacebar and trigger the "button".

Posts Followed

Following

• No Content

Followers

• No Content