Menu icon Foundation

Designer

My Posts

• Disable Panini and Handlebars in F6 stack

By Adam

panini

I'm just getting started with the FOundation CLI tool and using the Zurb template and build stack. However, I'd just like to disable the Panini and Handlebars processing as I don't want to use it. Plus I'm using another similar syntax which see... (continued)

Last Reply by earn to die 3 months ago

My Comments

Adam commented on Adam's post 7 days

Thanks Greg, although I'm not trying to add anything new to Foundation. Just trying to use built-in functionality, which all looks to be there in the JS but it just doesn't work the same as the CDN sourced version.

Adam commented on Adam's post about 2 years

I'm not asking Zurb to come up with new tech, I'm just wanting to understand why the media queries aren't reversed.
ie: small breakpoint is the default (not relying on media queries) and large is the override (using media queries).
I'm also saying that if there are stats and other data that Zurb used to make this decision it would be great to see them and understand this better from their point of view.

Doesn't that make it more important to design for Gmail/mobile/non-media query first and progressively enhance for others?

Note: I'm not trying to force my opinion here to be the correct one - just trying to understand Zurb's decision here so I can be better informed.
Would be great to see a blog post from Zurb with the stats and reasons behind their decision to reverse the process from that of FFS... or perhaps there is already info on this that I'm not aware of?

Thanks so much for your detailed answer Corey. I appreciate it.
I guess I'll have to trust in Zurbs decision on this one as I'm sure they know better than I do :). But it still feels wrong not to build for the lowest common device and progressively enhance for those that support it - especially since email opens on mobile are rising.
If their decision is based on the hope that Google will soon add media query support then I'd say that's wishful thinking.None of Gmail's clients support media queries - even the latest Inbox App - so they obviously have a good reason for doing this and I doubt that's going to change any time soon.We need to accept that and work in the here and now.

Regarding the Compatibility Chart, FFE is a framework for building responsive emails:
"Use Foundation for Emails to design responsive HTML emails that work in any email client."
so the compatibility info is assumed to represent support for responsiveness and therefore it's misleading. On top of that they make a special note in this chart about media queries not being supported in the Gmail App on android, so this further implies it's a chart for responsive support.
Perhaps Zurb can add a column indicating Media Query support as well to help clarify this.

Posts Followed

No Content

Following

No Content

Followers

My Posts

My Comments

You commented on Adam's post 7 days

Thanks Greg, although I'm not trying to add anything new to Foundation. Just trying to use built-in functionality, which all looks to be there in the JS but it just doesn't work the same as the CDN sourced version.

You commented on Adam's post about 2 years

I'm not asking Zurb to come up with new tech, I'm just wanting to understand why the media queries aren't reversed.
ie: small breakpoint is the default (not relying on media queries) and large is the override (using media queries).
I'm also saying that if there are stats and other data that Zurb used to make this decision it would be great to see them and understand this better from their point of view.

Doesn't that make it more important to design for Gmail/mobile/non-media query first and progressively enhance for others?

Note: I'm not trying to force my opinion here to be the correct one - just trying to understand Zurb's decision here so I can be better informed.
Would be great to see a blog post from Zurb with the stats and reasons behind their decision to reverse the process from that of FFS... or perhaps there is already info on this that I'm not aware of?

Thanks so much for your detailed answer Corey. I appreciate it.
I guess I'll have to trust in Zurbs decision on this one as I'm sure they know better than I do :). But it still feels wrong not to build for the lowest common device and progressively enhance for those that support it - especially since email opens on mobile are rising.
If their decision is based on the hope that Google will soon add media query support then I'd say that's wishful thinking.None of Gmail's clients support media queries - even the latest Inbox App - so they obviously have a good reason for doing this and I doubt that's going to change any time soon.We need to accept that and work in the here and now.

Regarding the Compatibility Chart, FFE is a framework for building responsive emails:
"Use Foundation for Emails to design responsive HTML emails that work in any email client."
so the compatibility info is assumed to represent support for responsiveness and therefore it's misleading. On top of that they make a special note in this chart about media queries not being supported in the Gmail App on android, so this further implies it's a chart for responsive support.
Perhaps Zurb can add a column indicating Media Query support as well to help clarify this.

Posts Followed

No Content

Following

• No Content

Followers

• No Content