Menu icon Foundation

My Posts

No Content

My Comments

Jonathan commented on Brian Hughes's post over 5 years
Jonathan commented on Brian Hughes's post over 5 years

Upgrading from 4 to 5 was difficult even for me - and I have 10 years experience as a programmer. I can only imagine how much harder it is for someone focused more on web design than web application development.

Git is fairly easy to install. There's a very useful guide here.
https://help.github.com/articles/set-up-git

Installing Ruby 1.9+ on the other hand - what a nightmare. I wrote up a long post detailing my pains upgrading and deleted it shortly after I figured out what was wrong - but I should have kept it as it might have been helpful for others.

In my current dev stack (Grails, Java, ExtJS) I really have no need for Bower, Grunt, Node, npm, Ruby 1.9+, rvm, or XCode. Installing Bower, Grunt, Node, and npm was dead simple for me (and of course as a developer I already have Git installed). But installing Ruby 2.x was very painful. I attempted to install rvm which failed with a cryptic error message. Googling I found out I had to download XCode (which took 30 minutes). Rvm failed to install again. Apparently I need to open XCode IDE, go into some preferences panel, then download XCode command line tools from there. Rvm installation failed again - so searching this forum I tried to use Homebrew which was successful (ruby -v showed 2.x) but foundation command line tools didn't work. So I decided to give Rvm a shot again. Apparently, there's no easy way to uninstall Homebrew (and in addition it can conflict with rvm) - I had to download a script some random person created to uninstall it. I attempted to install Rvm again and amazingly it worked - I have no idea why (and ruby -v also showed 2.x). But foundation tools were erroring out with references to Ruby 1.8.7. After struggling for some time I realized the final output of the rvm installation said I need to copy and paste 1-2 lines into each shell window I had opened. I thought this was optional and I simply had to open and close the shell windows - I was wrong. Ugh, this was very painful for me.

Maybe you can simply ask a Ruby dev to set it up on your machine - you should not have to pay for Foundation classes as all of these dependencies have nothing to do with using Foundation.

Jonathan commented on Chris Williams's post over 5 years

I'm in the process of upgrading from Foundation 4 to Foundation 5 and noticed my custom validations also stopped working. I also tried using the validations directly from the documentation and those did not work either as you stated. Hope there's an official patch shortly as I would really like to upgrade my site to version 5.

Posts Followed

No Content

Following

No Content

Followers

My Posts

No Content

My Comments

You commented on Brian Hughes's post over 5 years
You commented on Brian Hughes's post over 5 years

Upgrading from 4 to 5 was difficult even for me - and I have 10 years experience as a programmer. I can only imagine how much harder it is for someone focused more on web design than web application development.

Git is fairly easy to install. There's a very useful guide here.
https://help.github.com/articles/set-up-git

Installing Ruby 1.9+ on the other hand - what a nightmare. I wrote up a long post detailing my pains upgrading and deleted it shortly after I figured out what was wrong - but I should have kept it as it might have been helpful for others.

In my current dev stack (Grails, Java, ExtJS) I really have no need for Bower, Grunt, Node, npm, Ruby 1.9+, rvm, or XCode. Installing Bower, Grunt, Node, and npm was dead simple for me (and of course as a developer I already have Git installed). But installing Ruby 2.x was very painful. I attempted to install rvm which failed with a cryptic error message. Googling I found out I had to download XCode (which took 30 minutes). Rvm failed to install again. Apparently I need to open XCode IDE, go into some preferences panel, then download XCode command line tools from there. Rvm installation failed again - so searching this forum I tried to use Homebrew which was successful (ruby -v showed 2.x) but foundation command line tools didn't work. So I decided to give Rvm a shot again. Apparently, there's no easy way to uninstall Homebrew (and in addition it can conflict with rvm) - I had to download a script some random person created to uninstall it. I attempted to install Rvm again and amazingly it worked - I have no idea why (and ruby -v also showed 2.x). But foundation tools were erroring out with references to Ruby 1.8.7. After struggling for some time I realized the final output of the rvm installation said I need to copy and paste 1-2 lines into each shell window I had opened. I thought this was optional and I simply had to open and close the shell windows - I was wrong. Ugh, this was very painful for me.

Maybe you can simply ask a Ruby dev to set it up on your machine - you should not have to pay for Foundation classes as all of these dependencies have nothing to do with using Foundation.

You commented on Chris Williams's post over 5 years

I'm in the process of upgrading from Foundation 4 to Foundation 5 and noticed my custom validations also stopped working. I also tried using the validations directly from the documentation and those did not work either as you stated. Hope there's an official patch shortly as I would really like to upgrade my site to version 5.

Posts Followed

No Content

Following

• No Content

Followers

• No Content