Menu icon Foundation

My Posts

My Comments

Doug Biggerstaff commented on Doug Biggerstaff's post about 2 months

Hi Otti,
I don't recall the last time I updated foundation-cli - but it is current, so clearly I did.  A quick look at it's repository suggests that updates are not all that frequent.  Beyond that, I trust Zurb to remain backwards compatable (within the current major release), and, if not, to notify the community of potential conflicts/issues.
Regarding 'automated updates through git', I don't keep older versions updated - which is the genesis of this thread back in Sept '17.  I just load the correct npm version (with nvm) and use the applicable npm/gulp/grunt build commands for that version.
I suppose if I were to, or had to update Foundation on an older project, I'd use the cli's 'foundation update' command.  But I have yet to, and I don't foresee the need anytime soon.
Hope that helps.
Doug

Doug Biggerstaff commented on Doug Biggerstaff's post 2 months

Hi Otti,

Basically, I don’t update older Foundation projects to the latest version.  It’s a big task and my clients do not want to pay for it.

So, to accommodate multiple (older) Foundation versions, I have added Node Version Manager (nvm) to my workflow - https://github.com/creationix/nvm

For example, if I’m working on a v5.5 installation, I load the appropriate npm version with nvm and operate normally, referring the archived Foundation docs for markup/scss/js differences as required.  If I then go to a project using 6.4.3, all it takes is a different ‘nvm use’ command.

Fortunately, the cli commands are more-or-less standard across versions so it’s quite manageable.

Unfortunately, my understanding of the cli itself is limited - I don’t fully appreciate whether an update will break older builds - but so far, as long as I have the correct npm version active, all of my older builds execute properly.  Yes, that is a bit concerning, but I guess that’s a problem I’ll deal with if/when it comes up.

Best of luck to you!

Doug

Doug Biggerstaff commented on Doug Biggerstaff's post 11 months

Wow - tough room.
Let's simplify the question...
When a new version of Foundation for Sites comes out, do you spend the time updating every project that's using an older version?
Thanks very much for your time.
Doug

Doug Biggerstaff commented on Doug Biggerstaff's post over 3 years

Sorry, the page is on a dev server at the moment - can't post a link.

This is my inline Magellan call…

<div id="prodnav" data-magellan-expedition="fixed" data-options="threshold:0;destination_threshold:120;throttle_delay:50;fixed_top:120;">

For my xlarge layout, I have fixed_top set to 120px. When the page renders on a smaller screen, the header height shrinks to 80px or 60px, but I have been unable to dynamically set fixed_top another value based on a media query or some other override.

If I remove the fixed_top option, the top becomes 0px, which doesn't work.

I'm surprised I see no other user with this question, so I must be missing something?

Thanks.

Posts Followed

Following

No Content

Followers

My Posts

My Comments

You commented on Doug Biggerstaff's post about 2 months

Hi Otti,
I don't recall the last time I updated foundation-cli - but it is current, so clearly I did.  A quick look at it's repository suggests that updates are not all that frequent.  Beyond that, I trust Zurb to remain backwards compatable (within the current major release), and, if not, to notify the community of potential conflicts/issues.
Regarding 'automated updates through git', I don't keep older versions updated - which is the genesis of this thread back in Sept '17.  I just load the correct npm version (with nvm) and use the applicable npm/gulp/grunt build commands for that version.
I suppose if I were to, or had to update Foundation on an older project, I'd use the cli's 'foundation update' command.  But I have yet to, and I don't foresee the need anytime soon.
Hope that helps.
Doug

You commented on Doug Biggerstaff's post 2 months

Hi Otti,

Basically, I don’t update older Foundation projects to the latest version.  It’s a big task and my clients do not want to pay for it.

So, to accommodate multiple (older) Foundation versions, I have added Node Version Manager (nvm) to my workflow - https://github.com/creationix/nvm

For example, if I’m working on a v5.5 installation, I load the appropriate npm version with nvm and operate normally, referring the archived Foundation docs for markup/scss/js differences as required.  If I then go to a project using 6.4.3, all it takes is a different ‘nvm use’ command.

Fortunately, the cli commands are more-or-less standard across versions so it’s quite manageable.

Unfortunately, my understanding of the cli itself is limited - I don’t fully appreciate whether an update will break older builds - but so far, as long as I have the correct npm version active, all of my older builds execute properly.  Yes, that is a bit concerning, but I guess that’s a problem I’ll deal with if/when it comes up.

Best of luck to you!

Doug

You commented on Doug Biggerstaff's post 11 months

Wow - tough room.
Let's simplify the question...
When a new version of Foundation for Sites comes out, do you spend the time updating every project that's using an older version?
Thanks very much for your time.
Doug

You commented on Doug Biggerstaff's post over 3 years

Sorry, the page is on a dev server at the moment - can't post a link.

This is my inline Magellan call…

<div id="prodnav" data-magellan-expedition="fixed" data-options="threshold:0;destination_threshold:120;throttle_delay:50;fixed_top:120;">

For my xlarge layout, I have fixed_top set to 120px. When the page renders on a smaller screen, the header height shrinks to 80px or 60px, but I have been unable to dynamically set fixed_top another value based on a media query or some other override.

If I remove the fixed_top option, the top becomes 0px, which doesn't work.

I'm surprised I see no other user with this question, so I must be missing something?

Thanks.

Posts Followed

Following

• No Content

Followers

• No Content